JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why does Will Smith get such a bad rap?

For some reason Will Smith gets smacked around in the media and by so called hip hop heads for being soft, wack, or not real. I mean, he addresses a lot of that on his new album, and I liked how he joked on Angie Martinez in an interview on how his life's mission was to get played on Hot 97 because ever since Summertime dropped they haven't played anything.

Angie: Come on, we played your stuff since then.

Will: You played um...Wild Wild West, but that was because Sisqo was on it!

lol...then he talked about how he was gonna suckerpunch someone on the news the next night, getting Angie to say, "Oh that's not what it takes!" lol

I love me some Angie though, I ain't gonna lie.

But seriously though, Will gets clowned by so called hip hop fans and act like nobody takes him seriously. I mean he's worked with Snoop, Mary J Blige and MANY of the hip hop elite. The man is a very intelligent and entertaining cat and he doesn't sell his soul to get record sales (like avoiding the obvious path of going after Eminem for his comments, which I never really saw as any diss towards Will to start with, more of a diss to the people who point out that Will doesn't curse so why should Em?).

Too many ignorant people out there.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

People have been hatin on Will since 1986.. A lot of it is just ignorance as you said .. Anyone who owns even half of his albums realises his contribution to hip-hop. The singles that have been released haven't really helped..and now he's such a big movie star he's always fighting against a wave of haters when it comes to his music..

For some reason Will Smith gets smacked around in the media and by so called hip hop heads for being soft, wack, or not real. I mean, he addresses a lot of that on his new album, and I liked how he joked on Angie Martinez in an interview on how his life's mission was to get played on Hot 97 because ever since Summertime dropped they haven't played anything.

Angie: Come on, we played your stuff since then.

Will: You played um...Wild Wild West, but that was because Sisqo was on it!

lol...then he talked about how he was gonna suckerpunch someone on the news the next night, getting Angie to say, "Oh that's not what it takes!" lol

I love me some Angie though, I ain't gonna lie.

But seriously though, Will gets clowned by so called hip hop fans and act like nobody takes him seriously. I mean he's worked with Snoop, Mary J Blige and MANY of the hip hop elite. The man is a very intelligent and entertaining cat and he doesn't sell his soul to get record sales (like avoiding the obvious path of going after Eminem for his comments, which I never really saw as any diss towards Will to start with, more of a diss to the people who point out that Will doesn't curse so why should Em?).

Too many ignorant people out there.

Guys, I'm willing to bet that Ted will be along soon... anyone wanna take me up on that? Lol

Anyway, Will doesn't get the respect he deserves in hip hop largely because of the content of his music. Hip hop has become a culture focused on material things: ice, whips, clothes, and women (considering that are often treated like objects.) Will's never been that kind of rapper, but since that's what the culture is infatuated with, it is undoubtedly be hard for an artist like Will to do well. The lack of "hard hitting lyrics" is another reason he doesn't get much love in hip hop. The lyrics in songs have become so profane and lewd that it's gotten to the point where the absence of such lyrics is seen as abnormal. There's a notion that if anyone can listen to it, it's not really exciting. The more lyrics push the envelope, generally the more popular they are.

There are, in fact, a number of reasons why Will doesn't get much respect, but those I addressed seem to be the most glaring examples.

Ted is a die~hard Will Smith fan, haha... i guess thas all i can say...

but, ppl always been hatin on Will,... I used to get real defensive AND offended at one point, but I've learned to appreciate his contributions even more in the face of such ignorance, because he's obviously highly successful,... because of that same 'soft' side theyre complaining bout... hah...

so why even entertain alla that negative energy? its takes less muscles to laugh, than get angry in defense.... but then again, i do need to work out. lmbo... my jokes r so lame... oh well.. :kekeke:

peace,

cookie

Well due to eager anticipation here comes my popular opinion :wiggle: :

There's a factor of different things to why people hate on Will, to keep this short it seems that to a lot of these haters that they ain't gonna respect Will unless he tears down their favorite rapper in a battle, it's like he has to stop being a nice guy and change who he is just to please 'em but you know what who really gives a ****, millions of people love him and that's all that matters, basically when it comes to haters their favorite rappers wish that they've had the career he's got, some of them like Fat Joe and TI would tell you that, btw Eminem ain't really hating on Will anymore, you really can't take what he says seriously anyway 'cause he even disses himself, he got psychological problems and a messed up life so it ain't his fault he says stupid ****, and deep down he's scared to battle Will that's why he didn't reply to "Mr. Nice Guy", he's actually a closet Will Smith/JJFP fan btw, he told Will back in '99 when they met in the studio that he grew up on JJFP and took some of his style from them, "Plenty of y'all love a brotha, just scared to say it", please stop all of the negative posts, Will's got plenty of postive things that he's been respected for and he's got quite a bit of hip-hop heads/artists that respect him

Here's a list of SOME of the peeps who got love for Will:

Public Enemy

LL Cool J

Nas

Common

Nick Cannon

Kel Spencer

Mary J. Blidge

Slick Rick

MC Lyte

Fat Joe

Jay-Z

Eve

Wyclef Jean

Biz Markie

The Roots

Run-Dmc

Russell Simmons

Nelly

Kanye West

2Pac(RIP)

Left Eye(RIP)

Queen Latifah

Kool Moe Dee

Snoop Dogg

TI

and even "the most hated man on the JJFP board" 50 Cent(How quickly y'all forget he gave props to Will in his song "What If" on his recent song on "GRODT soundtrack", "What If I made blockbuster hits like Will Smith?", believe me if he dissed Will there there'd be a thousand posts by now on it, lol)

that doesn't even count other celebrities like Bill Clinton, Bill Cosby, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Jamie Foxx, Tom Cruise, etc...

+ millions of fans like us>>>> anybody who hates on him

Love is stronger than hate, that's all I gotta say, game, set, match....

Edited by bigted