JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Allhiphop.com talks Lost & Found!

They're giving props, which is always good. I think that many people think Will's music is corney... Miami, Gettin' Jiggy With It, etc... the thing is, he's not trying to make serious music and just happens to come off as corney. He makes a concerted effort be be corney, to be playful and childish... He doesn't take himself too seriously and he has no problem having fun with his music. Is "Getting' Jiggy Wit It" corney? Of course, but it's enjoyable because we know he's being corney on purpose, it's part of his character. When he wants to be serious, he can be very serious as evidenced by Ms. Holy Roller, Tell Me Why and a few other songs on the album. How do we reconcile the corniness with the seriousness... we attribute it to the multifaceted nature of his character. It's a wonderful thing to have diversity, especially within yourself. It keeps you work fresh and the audience guessing. This is why I can enjoy something like Tell Me Why and at the same time enjoy MIB with the dancing alien and all.

For people to say Will's corny is like sayin' Slick Rick, Heavy D, and Flava Flav are corny, they do put comedy in their music but it's effective, hip-hop ain't one dimensional, not everyone has to be hardcore, I'm actually happier when Will puts comedy in his rap too and not try to just make serious songs 'cause there's other cats like Chuck D and Common that do that, hip-hop would be boring if everyone did the same thing, now Eminem's corny 'cause he tries to be funny but can't be, who actually thinks "Losin' It" is actually funny, and I don't like how everyone says people are biting off of Eminem or Jay-Z 'cause what about all the people they bited off of, more respect should be given to the originators, anyway at least they give Will props there, thanks for that!

Edited by bigted

"like one of his songs said....what happen to the originality factor in hip hop (which at one time was one of the most important aspect, i like to believe)....this cd sounded like will....it wasn't trendy, it wasn't coastal....it was just will doing some good hip hop."

Sums up the albums perfect.

Some people weren't giving any respect, but it was nice to see that a lot of people over there were really appreciating his music.

They're giving props, which is always good. I think that many people think Will's music is corney... Miami, Gettin' Jiggy With It, etc... the thing is, he's not trying to make serious music and just happens to come off as corney. He makes a concerted effort be be corney, to be playful and childish... He doesn't take himself too seriously and he has no problem having fun with his music. Is "Getting' Jiggy Wit It" corney? Of course, but it's enjoyable because we know he's being corney on purpose, it's part of his character. When he wants to be serious, he can be very serious as evidenced by Ms. Holy Roller, Tell Me Why and a few other songs on the album. How do we reconcile the corniness with the seriousness... we attribute it to the multifaceted nature of his character. It's a wonderful thing to have diversity, especially within yourself. It keeps you work fresh and the audience guessing. This is why I can enjoy something like Tell Me Why and at the same time enjoy MIB with the dancing alien and all.

that was really well said, and i couldnt agree more! :1-say-yes: :2thumbs:

its seems lost and found is so good it can turn ppl that thought Will was always soft. These people were probably really stubbern and refused to listen, but after they heard it they cant help but love it.

I really like that guy with carlton in his sig too, thats hilarious.

Thats what annoys me about people. They form there opinions on Will and have only heard the stuff thats been released. i try and get them to listen to albums but its as if they have already made up their minds and dont really give it a chance!

I wouldnt say corny maxfly..but fun ..those songs are fun thats why they are enjoyable..but if you get the albums you realise Will goes a lot deeper than that

:word: Well any rap that ain't about guns, drugs, or sex gets called corny by most of these ignorant fans 'cause they don't know that hip-hop was created to have fun and stop the violence, JJFP are keepin' it real the most when it comes to making quality music.

Edited by bigted

I wouldnt say corny maxfly..but fun ..those songs are fun thats why they are enjoyable..but if you get the albums you realise Will goes a lot deeper than that

Well corniness is really in the eye of the beholder. People will definitely think that Gettin Jiggy With It and MIB are corny. I mean, MIB does have a singing/dancing alien. Fun can also be used to describe them. However someone chooses to view it, I think people have to realize that Will is purposefully being fun and carefree. I think people have become to conditioned with hip hop referencing body counts, sex, and other relatively serious topics and don't know how to react when someone comes out with something that makes you smile and relax.