JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

another will's interview

gosia

Media Credit: Google.com

Will Smith's new movie, "The Pursuit of Happyness," premiered in Detroit last week. It will open nationwide December 15.

The premiere of "The Pursuit of Happyness," starring Will Smith was in Detroit last week.

The story is based on real life Chris Gardner, a highly intelligent, very congenial, but marginally employed and down-on-his-luck guy trying to raise a son alone and struggling to survive. It is a story of joy, pain, helplessness, strength, hopelessness and never giving up.

"Happyness" executive producer Mark Clayman saw the story about Chris Gardner on "20/20."

"My wife and I caught this segment about Gardner's homelessness," he recalled.

"There was a scene where he re-visited a bathroom at a Bay-Area Regional Transportation (BART) station with his son and how he used to bathe him in the sink."

"I saw this story as the embodiment of the American dream," said Will Smith. "The concept this country is based on is the hope that any person can create their life from the lowest of the low to the highest of the high."

Smith said that this role entranced him because of his own life as a father and husband.

While here in Detroit, Smith took some time to talk with the Michigan Journal.

Michigan Journal: Why choose Detroit as the city to premiere "Happyness?"

Will Smith: Detroit represents the scope of Gardners' story. This city has a great heart, a lot of life and potential, but is held back for reasons that sometimes aren't its fault. A lot of times, it's due to the bad rep that it has nationally. I felt that we needed to do this premiere - it has to be Deeeee-troit.

MJ: One of the issues that "Happyness" confronts is the state of homeless people. We all have our thoughts of the homeless, but in reality Chris was homeless. Yet he didn't look like the average homeless person. Will your role humanize the plight of the homeless?

WS: That's a great question. I really hope so. Chris wore a suit everywhere he went, even we he was living on the street. Yet, he had no home! Can you imagine that?! This really raised my awareness of a homeless person. Also, black homelessness. It's a real problem in San Francisco, like anywhere else in the world.

MJ: In this role you're dealing with heavy emotional and social issues. Why the stretch?

WS: It touched me as a man with hopes, dreams and fears. I always wondered what would have happened if God didn't bless me with the life that I have now. Could I be man enough to deal with a different life? Taking on his role is helping me answer that question. I went to South Africa some years ago and met Nelson Mandela. He said that I need to focus on the beauty of the human struggle. That struck me deeply.

MJ: What does fatherhood mean to you?

WS: More than anything. My love for my babies deepens every morning I see them. Although they're the most important people in the world, I'm a public figure. So that means I have to exemplify African-American fatherhood. Every day. Gardner exemplified black fatherhood, even when he had nothing. Gardner's story reaches out to all fathers of all races, backgrounds and walks of life.

MJ: Speaking of family, "Happyness" debuts your son, Jaden. Did he always want to act or was this something that you and Jada wanted for him?

WS: You know, Jaden is a funny 'lil man. He wanted this more than me and my wife. He loves amateur acting around the house and everything. When this opportunity came up, actually, Jada and me were against it because we don't like looking like we use who we are to advance our family. But he convinced us. Actually, we just wanted to shut him up. So we took him to audition. It was grueling. So grueling, in fact, Jada got into it with the casting director. We were about to take him out of the running, but we decided he needs to learn about this himself. Let it be his decision. Not only did he make it through, but he got the role.

MJ: How involved was Gardner in the making of the movie?

WS: He was very involved. We wanted him to be; this is his life. He was such a mentor to me; I still keep in touch with him.

for those of you who have no access to this page;

MJ: You're one of the most successful actors in the world. What motivates you?

WS: You mean besides the $25 million per movie, the fly cribs, the fly rides and all of the girls? Naw, naw, in reality, those things are empty, meaningless. I was in Manhattan two weeks ago, and I saw a lady on the phone arguing with someone. She obviously was having a bad day. But when I walked past her a smile just overcame her. I guess she saw something I did. That's what keeps me going. Also, Nelson Mandela. I really want to live up to his expectation of me.

MJ: Are you still a fan of hip-hop?

WS: I love hip-hop and always will. I am hip-hop. Our hip-hop culture is the world's greatest culture because it's the world's only culture, other than sports, that unites every race for one common thing: rockin' the mic and rockin' the crowd. I released a record last year on my Overbrook label and my 'lil 16 year old nephew, K-Smith, will be dropping a CD soon. Me and 50 Cent are working on it. He thinks he can out-rhyme me, but I show him my 19 platinum plaques. Yeah...that calms him down. :interesting:

MJ: What's next?

WS: I have a movie coming up, called "I am Legend." I'm in a post-nuclear L.A., fighting vampire-like creatures.

MJ: "Bad Boys III"?

WS: Ha-ha, well, the critics didn't really feel, "Bad Boys II," but I don't make movies for them. I make 'em for you. Me and Martin are trying to work it out now.

MJ: On behalf of the University of Michigan, thank you for sitting down with us.

and my 'lil 16 year old nephew, K-Smith, will be dropping a CD soon. Me and 50 Cent are working on it. He thinks he can out-rhyme me, but I show him my 19 platinum plaques. Yeah...that calms him down. :interesting:

MJ: "Bad Boys III"?

WS: Ha-ha, well, the critics didn't really feel, "Bad Boys II," but I don't make movies for them. I make 'em for you. Me and Martin are trying to work it out now.

I don't like the sound of Will working with 50, but "BB III" sounds awsome. I would love to see that!

Cool interview, cheers for posting.

I like the sound of a BB3, and Kyle releasing an album could be cool, he didnt spit too many decent rhymes on the video of Will's home that was posted, but Will may have ironed that out and hopefully we can get a Will collab on it as well as production. Not sure about 50 working on it, but I wont knock it until I've tried it.

MJ: Are you still a fan of hip-hop?

WS: I love hip-hop and always will. I am hip-hop. Our hip-hop culture is the world's greatest culture because it's the world's only culture, other than sports, that unites every race for one common thing: rockin' the mic and rockin' the crowd. I released a record last year on my Overbrook label and my 'lil 16 year old nephew, K-Smith, will be dropping a CD soon. Me and 50 Cent are working on it. He thinks he can out-rhyme me, but I show him my 19 platinum plaques. Yeah...that calms him down"

Wow my 2 favorite mcs of all time FP and LL are working with 50 Cent now? :shakehead: But it's a relief to know that Will still loves hip-hop that makes me feel better that they'll be another album one day :switch:

lol, don't be hating on Will. He's just dipping into different things, and this is good news that he's still working in the music industry. He's still got the love for it. Who says he won't appear on a track on his nephews stuff.

I'd love to see another "Bad Boys" movie, the first 2 were classic, I actually watched "Bad Boys II" DVD a few days ago btw, hopefully this time he'll executive produce the soundtrack and get some of his own tracks on it too, that'd be sweet, props for the interview, btw I posted that part he talked about working with his cousin in the Big Will forum in case some miss it