JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Platinum

Jin

As Will always wants to hit the number 1 spot, do you think will hit plat in the future??

I think he won't. He won't have the buzz with the wack rapper #2 beef again and records sales are in general currently low...Even Big-sellers like Outkast are about to sell 200-300 k first week...what do you think?

Well "Lost and Found" went platinum worldwide just with one hit single in "Switch", I think in order for him to do better/have his next album debut at #1 he's gonna have to be more involved with guest appearances/do touring/myspace, something like that between the next album,I think just doing movies for 3 years in a row without doing any music really hurts him keeping all of his music fans, and btw yes record sales are way down now, gold is becoming like the new platinum it seems, even pop singers on TRL struggle to go gold...

Edited by bigted

what? i thought L&F sold about 600-700k...

and i dont think that hes going to sell and btw, does it matter? the only thing that counts for me is quality music.

It sold around 685K here in America but America's not the only place where people listen to Will, if you add all the countries total up it goes over 1 million people purchasing "Lost and Found", and yes I agree with you quality is the main thing, I wouldn't care if Will's next album flops commercially as long as it's a classic album, I don't give a damn if kids check for it as long as the hip-hop community receives it well and Will gets the credability as an mc that he deserve

I think it was mentioned by Frenetic that the album's shipped platinum in the US, I think it was once it reached 680K, that's why "Born To Reign" and "Code Red" shipped gold even though they only sold around 210K-240K in the US, and I'm sure that other countries have their own certifications for how much albums sell

Edited by bigted

Yeah really quality of the music is all that matters, I'll be dissapointed if Will's next album sells 200K and sounds like "Born To Reign" but I wouldn't mind if the next album's great music like "Code Red" and sells 200K, and btw "Big Willie Style" only sold 60,000 copies in it's first week and started out at #8 on the charts but yet went on to sell 9 million albums in America and 12 million worldwide so it's not how you start it's how you finish, remember Beanie Siegal had a better 1st week than Will when "Lost and Found" came out at #6 but Beanie went on to only sell 300K while "Lost and Found" sold 685K, there's quite a bit of albums that come out at #1 in it's first week and fail to go platinum, especially these days where people download so much, Busta Rhymes and DMX had strong 1st weeks with their recent albums but they're probably gonna sell around the same as "Lost and Found"...

Edited by bigted

Wordlwide, over 1 Million Records.. Thats is good. Stop wining. "Popular" Mc`s like Fat Joe, Ja Rule, Cassidy.. And even Obie Trice, Young Buck, Lloyd Banks and them mostly fail to sell that much. Cassidy, Ja and Joe for example struggled to sell about 800.000 Worldwide. And that is with allot of guys. Caus of the downloading, it will never go back to such high Record sales. 50 was very, very lucky with selling 5 Million Records. And The Black Eyed Peas, The Game and them sold about 3 Mil, also with Luck. Game came out in The G-Unit hype, he wont sell like that again. And The Black Eyed Peas released almos every song as a single over 2 Years.. come on. The best selling artists these days, like recently Mariah Carey, Green Day dont even sell more than 5, 6 Million Records. Things changed. Will does just fine.