JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kanye West - Late Registration Review Post

mfuqua23

It's not an album to jump on ted. It's a matter of taste. I mean, it's an alternate from the usual Hip Hop/Rap sound, and it actually is growing on me.

Yeah, you're right about that, I think Kanye has a different sound from any other rappers I hear on the radio and I dig his taste in different kinds of music so if I wanna buy a commercial rap album I would consider it over anything else on the scene since they just all come with the same sound, I think "College Dropout" was easily one of the better commercial rap albums in recent years even though I ain't a fan of his I could admit that since he's a step above all the commercial crap out there, btw I notice there's a nice deal in the BMG Catalog to get another album with "Late Registration" for $15 and it comes between a choice of these that I was considering since I haven't bought too much recent stuff lately I might just consider buying a couple of them for a change since it's a sweet deal, they had a couple other ones mentioned but they didn't seem to interest me at all, if "Lost and Found" was mentioned of course I'd get that 'cause I don't mind getting an extra copy and helping Will's sales out a bit more, lol. Anyway, I'm curious which one out of these would y'all choose to go along with it? I figured I'd ask y'all here 'cause a lot of us seem to have the same taste in music.:

Usher "Confessions"(Special Edition)

Black Eyed Peas "Elephunk"

John Legend "Get Lifted"

Snoop Dogg "Rhythm & Gangsta"

Edited by bigted

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably get the John Legend "Get Lifted". I heard Usher's COnfessions. It was an ok cd. Snoop's R&G, I'd be skeptical. If U feel Snoop too much more in the early days, then U probably shouldn't get it. Just to be safe, I checked a random track of JL's album. Maybe overlook a couple reviews because a lot of work goes into gettin that little bit of money. Maybe U should double check that catelogy to make sure it's not something U missed.

I'd probably get the John Legend "Get Lifted". I heard Usher's COnfessions. It was an ok cd. Snoop's R&G, I'd be skeptical. If U feel Snoop too much more in the early days, then U probably shouldn't get it. Just to be safe, I checked a random track of JL's album. Maybe overlook a  couple reviews because a lot of work goes into gettin that little bit of money. Maybe U should double check that catelogy to make sure it's not something U missed.

Well they do have Game's "The Documentary" but I wouldn't get that if "Dreams" is the best song since it even grew old on me, 50 Cent's "Get Rich Or Die Tryin'" which of course I had since I bought into the hype like everyone else in high school when it came out but gave it away since it sucks and I never played it anymore after the 1st couple months I got it, Nelly's "Suit" which doesn't interest me at all, neither does Luda's "Red Light District", The Killers' "Hot Fuss" or Ciara's "Goodies", and I got Alicia Key's "The Diary Of Alicia Keys" already:

http://www.bmgmusic.com/catalog/browse/gro...requestid=36516

This ain't somethin' I'm considering doing right away since I'm a lil' strapped for cash right now but in a lil' while when I have a lil' change to spare if they still have the offer, btw if anyone's interested in joining BMG, PM me your email address and we could both get free CDs. :yeah:

Edited by bigted

well .. i got my copy today and i really like it .. its not as good as be or lost and found but its straight hip hop and i really needed some fresh music ..

at the moment, my favourite tracks are:

we major (great collabo .. im not a nas fan or somethin but this track is tite)

addiction (why's everything that's supposed to be bad make me feel so good? .. yap .. thats the question .. lol)

roses

bring me down (oh lawd .. great track .. nice vocals by brandy .. nearly forgot what a great voice she has)

Edited by Lhunagar

Ted: You should def. get John Legend. Wonderful voice. Beatiful music.

Aight due to popular demand, I'll pin "Late Registration" topic for a couple of days instead of having so many individual ones! :davidblaine:

I'm sorry I started the whole thing. I was just trying to be a help.  :shrug:

It's ok man, I just figured it'd be easier to have just one Kanye West post instead of many different ones, it makes it easier and more organised for everyone that wants to post about it right here, I have no more to say though 'cause I haven't heard it yet but everyone else could feel free to post their opinions about it. :stickpoke:

After listening to it 10 times a day, i've spent the last days really analyzing the lyrics and flow. Here comes a review, without hype or anything, just some objective views:

I said in a debate about kanye that his punchlines sometimes hit you over the head, they're hard and complex, and sometimes they hit you perfect, and sometimes (alot in his early work) it hit's just wrong being wack. This is one of the things i'm gonna handle during this review:

1. Wake Up Mr West -/10 - The intro is some plain talking with a pianosample.

2. Heard Em Say 8,5/10 - The piano on this is incredible, love it when beats include real instruments and not samples, big up jon brion! The drums are a mix of his old bassfilled with a bit of the pattern of old Timbo beats. Don't take it for granted is basically the message, but we'll try to do it anyway if we fail. Lyrics are well done and performed, nice slow flow.

3. Touch The Sky 8/10 - The song that reminds a bit of Will Smith on his first solo album. About being int he top how he got their, feel good! Controversiel sample of move on up. Matter of taste, i don't give a damn what song he samples as long it's groovie. It is.

4. Golddigger 6,5/10 - Good topic, not so good lyrics. Here he punches with the punchlines that are wack. I love the beat, dude has sampled windows xp.

5. Skit 1 -/10 We can't afford no gas.

6. Drive Slow 9/10 - Kanye's first verse in really, really good. Really nice tellinstyle (not storytelling). It isn't about hoes, it's about you can chill down with having the girls, you got the whole life to grow up, don't rush, pump ya breaks. It's about hoes in the girl way not prostitute way. That's the conclusion after listening a couple of times. Beat is really nice, sample has been used before by 2Pac, but it is better used here.

7. My Way Home 9/10 - A guy told me i couldn't give ths a high score cause Kanye ain't innit. Why not? it's on his album and is a part of it, it feels like the album is a movie, and common drops the underline meaning of the album, somebody's trying to find his place. Verse is incredible. Beat is Incredible.

8. Crack Music 9/10 - He talked about using the word nigga in the chorus. He said it was the best word even though he tries to use so little profane words as possible. I agree, Nig*a give the chorus a finishing touch and completes the genius chorus. Some raw hiphop overhere deabting on goverment putting crack, diseases and so on in the black community. Increcible poetry at the ending accoding to my poetry slam champion friend.

9. Roses 10/10 - This is it. This song gave me the same feeling as I got when I heard tell me why the first time, or the rain, or summertime, afro angel or Jesus Walks. It smashes your heart, it turns your world upside down. Musically incredible beat and two, incredible, incredible verses by Kanye. Gotta be a single.

10. Bring me down 7/10 - Lazy by Kanye not using a whole new verse, a really good song. Bits of the verse is from wack Niggas feat Talib & Common. Nice concept though, "hater niggas marry hater bitches and get hater kids". Brandy is really good. A good song, but it feels unnescessary. He could've skipped the song.

11 Addiction 10/10 - " You make me smiiilee with my heart". Gotta be the best sample ever. The second of the three albumhighs. About addictions and his: A girl. but it ain't easy being addicted..

12. Skit 2 -/10 - hihihi...

13. Diamonds from Sierra Leone 8,5/10 - The two verses don't make sense together, but the beat and flow and everything else is flawless. Jay's verse is like: WOW, but if it would've been on We Major... wouldn't it have been better?

14. We Major 9,5/10 - Bragging is a part of Hiphop, do it in a way that is nice though, Kanye got it, Really Doe got it, Nas got it. The understand it. They perform it really good. If u listens to this and don't smile afterwards you should check you ass up. Less talking, more beat on the end would've given this a ten.

15. Skit 3 -/10 - hahaha....

16. Hey Mama 10/10 - My mom's angry at me cause I don't make songs like this to her. I hate Kanye for that. AAAHh.. this is genius. wonderful. DAMN! check it out on Oprah soon.

17. Celebration 9/10 - Just forget all the troubles and celebrate. This the **** I pump in my room before I go out.

18. Skit 4 -/10 - busted...

19. Gone 9,5/10 - Cam'Ron should skip the whole dipset **** and focus on making music were his skills are shown. This is really good. Something lacks from it being one of the huge on the album.

20. Diamonds Are forever 8,5/10 - He raps about the situation in the Roc. What a flow! What a beat! Too long second verse even though "throw your hands up like you're bulimic" is one of 2005's funniest punchlines.

21. Late 9/10 - Sorry, but I got a musical orgazm when I heard the beat. Don't be late!

Whole Album: 9,5/10.

Song for Song: 8,5

Now you're like why did he give it so high score? Cause it may have flaws in song for song, but it's the best well puttogether album I've heard. You don't skip anything, cause it feels like your gonna miss something in the album. You enjoy following the albums as it develops, you just enjoy listening to it, cause the more you listens, the better it gets cause some of the lyrics need that. They need to be listened a couple of times. It could've skipped one or two skits and dropped golddigger. It would've been a ten.

My year rank:

1. Kanye West - Late Registration 9,5

1. Common - Be 9,5

3. Will Smith - 9

3. John Legend - 9

5. Little Brother - 8,5

6. The Game - Documentary - 8

This doesn't mean i'm disssing WIll, but were this and commons album got at most one less good song, L&F got 2-3. They're more solid. But These are all albums that are going to rememberd as big moments in hiphop, in our fans eyes they're all classics. More good albums dropped right now then thru all 2004.

Edited by Frenetic

I've been listening to it again, and it's become a "regular" listening album. I don't know why everybody is trippin'. I can call my fav. tracks now.

- Heard Em Say

- Crack Music

- Bring Me Down

- Addiction

- Hey Mama

- Gone

- Late (Bonus Track)

It's a solid cd, for my tastes.

thanx for the reviews guys. Im definatly gonna get this in the next week or so.

I really like kayne, right now id say he is my second favourite rapper. Hes the only one that can make me laugh and think besides Will. I think some of his lyrics are really smart. The only problem i have with him, is his head gets bigger by the day. Ok your a rapper, not God.

well i downloaded the album some while back. i just need to burn it to a cd one of these days. to tell u guys the truth, i'm still not that hyped about it but maybe it'll grow on me like it did 2 sum of y'all. oh and Julie i totally agree with u. sometimes Kanye says something intelligent and then the next minute he just opens his mouth and starts yappin about annoying, irrelevant stuff. it gets annoyin after a while