Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Waiting for Party Starter Video

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:iagree: If it's good music people'll buy it eventually, it took 6 years for Nas' "Illmatic" to go platinum and that's one of the best albums of all time. People were riding the Will Smith bandwagon back then, that's why he sold so much on "Big Willie Style", that's the point I was making, selling 9 million isn't a mistake I'd say since not many rappers have done that, everybody struggles with sales. Even if he released as much singles as 50 Cent does doesn't mean he'd sell as much as him, he might've went platinum but that doesn't really make too much of difference if he does or doesn't 'cause he's sold 30 mill already, look at Kanye West, he released 4 singles for "College Dropout" just like 50's "Get Rich..." and it only sold 2 million when 50 sold 7 million, positive rap is hard to sell in the 1st place, Kanye's younger than Will and that's the only reason he'll sell a lil' bit more, Will's older too and he's not in style like he used to be, there's a lot against Will where he could've only sold 100,000, how many rappers his age are doing the type of numbers Will is? One day 50 Cent won't be popular either, btw, let's make a blog out of this topic. :tednmax:

Edited by bigted

One more point I gotta make to get this clear once and for all, JJFP actually promoted "Code Red" better than "Big Willie Style", and yet "Code Red" sold 200,000 and "Big Willie Style" sold 9 million, it's just a matter of luck and timing sometimes that you sell a lot, "some stuff works and some stuff don't/you work like hell still get hurt like hell", everybody was feelin' Dr. Dre back in '93 and in '97 people wanted lighter music after the deaths of Pac and Biggie, now people just want 50 Cent/Eminem/Mike Jones and Will doesn't fit into the equation.

Edited by bigted

actually he fits into the equation well:

Will Smith > 50 Cent/Eminem/Mike Jones

:iagree: but the millions that like 50 Cent/Eminem/Mike Jones don't feel that way is what I'm saying, 50 Cent/Eminem/Mike Jones= selling millions if there were more high skilled rappers selling millions like Common, Nas, LL, and Talib Kweli then Will would fit in that one and on that note:

Will Smith/Common/Nas/ Talib Kweli/ LL>every platinum rapper out now since

Skills>Selling Millions, I still wanna see "Tell Me Why" 'cause I think that's the type of song that could win Will a Grammy next year, it stands out more than anything out and should receive some credibility the way that "Jesus Walks" did last year when Kanye beat out 50 Cent for the Grammy even though he sold less

Edited by bigted

I may be wrong, I just hope Tell Me Why doesn't end up like The Rain:- an absolutely dope track that hardly anyone even knows exists. I know jack about album-sales etc, I just reckon this is a method that would've worked in the UK at least...

I reckon that releasing Party Starter 2 months ago would have helped.

Releasing a single 3 months after your first single is not 'releasing them at the same time.' and it's certainly not anywhere near comparable to what 50 has done so far. 50 seems to be releasing a new single every month... That's an extreme and something Will certainly doesn't have to do.

it's just a matter of luck and timing sometimes that you sell a lot
But Ted, you know very well that these are not the only factors that affect how well an album does, and those things have absolutelty no bearing on why Party Starter is coming out so late and why Lost and Found is so low on the charts... (Lost and Found started off very well... I don't think I have to remind people of that). I think that's our debate here. We're trying to bring in every possible reason as to why the album is where it is, but none of them can or will ever explain away the late release of Party Starter and the fact that this late release is a mistake and that it is hurting how well Lost and Found is doing.

if i wasnt a fan i wouldnt have bought the album off switch either, im not saying just release 1 single, the more the better. But why the rush, rushing things wont help sell anymore.

Releasing a single 3 months after the first single was released isn't rushing; it's just smart marketing. The whole "milk Switch" this was based on the concern that when the second single came out, Switch would drop on the charts... Now we know that there was absolutely no reason to be concerned. Switch is still in the top 20 in spins, Party Starter is getting higher and higher on the charts, and it's nearing September...

Slow and steady does win the race, but when time is a huge factor, you can't be too slow, and Party Starter's release has been too slow...

it's just a matter of luck and timing sometimes that you sell a lot

-But Ted, you know very well that these are not the only factors that affect how well an album does, and those things have absolutelty no bearing on why Party Starter is coming out so late and why Lost and Found is so low on the charts... (Lost and Found started off very well... I don't think I have to remind people of that). I think that's our debate here. We're trying to bring in every possible reason as to why the album is where it is, but none of them can or will ever explain away the late release of Party Starter and the fact that this late release is a mistake and that it is hurting how well Lost and Found is doing.

Hey Max, you're right, there's no excuse for delaying "Party Starter" so late, but why did "Code Red" sell so lil' when it had 5 singles, including a #1 hit "Boom! Shake The Room"? I think Jive helped promote JJFP the best, Columbia and Interscope sorta dropped the ball for real.

I was going to post a long response, but MaxFly seems to have said everything that is needed to be said.

When I was in high school, I used to study for tests the night before and I would do well. However now that I'm at college, I've had to change my studying habits to continue to do well. Studying the night before just won't cut it anymore.

damn, i'm definitely not looking 4ward to college. i have like a 3.8 GPA and i rarely study for tests, it's boring and not fun!