JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

TELL ME WHY

"Tell Me Why" is the only song i've allowed myself 2 hear from Lost + Found since the leak. Mostly becuz i knew about the song since the summer of 2003 and becuz i feel the song would be bigger than the album...and even bigger than Hip-Hop, which it is. Anyways, i'm addicted 2 the song. Partly cuz it's the only full song i've allowed myself 2 check out, and partly becuz it's one of the best songs ever recorded anyways. Everytime i hear, i see the video in my head...and here it is.

The intro, featuring only the strings, opens 2 a black screen with cinamatic credits such as "Tell Me Why, Will Smith, Mary J. Blige," and so on. As the beat drops, an image of FP, walking urban streets in casual street gear (Code Red style boots, jeans, Phillies jersey, winter coat, hat cocked 2 the side) comes up. These various shots don't featuring him rapping the hook. Just a serious, in-thought look on his face.

The 1st verse is very easy 2 imagin. It's simply the visual of what he's rapping about. They can throw in a few of those urban street scenes 2 make it look as if he's looking back on that day. When he mentions seeing the news on TV, they should show some shocking and popular images of that day on a TV screen in the background. Possibly a close up of the TV screen with a reflection of FP's reaction also visable. When it comes the line where he mentions his son praying 4 the victims, they should have a shot of FP standing outside of Trey's doorway, with the focus on Trey, on his knees praying.

As the hook/chorus starts up again, they can go back 2 more urban street scenes. This would be where they show the 1st glimpse of Mary J. in a similar scene (street cloths, walking urban streets. She can be lipping the words tho.' When Mary J's verse comes, i see her on a rooftop, New York style, pouring her soul out.

FP's 2nd verse should be a montoge of him spitting the verse, but with the most focus being on news footage of all the events he mentions. Then can have scrolling newspaper titles appearing and disappearing all over the screen. When he mentions Jam Master Jay, i'd like 2 see a short shot of FP spitting the verse with Run and D at each side. The hook/chorus goes back 2 scenes of FP and Mary J walking the streets...not 2gether tho.'

Lastly, when the music dramatically stops, it cuts 2 a close of up FP rapping acapella. When the beat drops, the camera pans out seeing that FP is in a church pugh (sp?), holding Willow, Jada and Trey sitting beside him. As u see more of the congrogation, maybe some of his close friends can be at the service as well. As the end of the verse approaches, i see the camera still panning away with FP and his family in the background, but now the focus is on Jaden. Who drops 2 his knees and prays in front of the entire church on "Sweetie, u be the light for others / make 'em believe in God." The camera dose a cinamatic spin around Jaden as it backs up, revealing Mary J. Blige in front of a choir singing the last chorus. I also see Rev Run running things in this shot. As the music abrutly fades, the pictures goes 2 black and "Tell Me Why" appears on the screen, then fades.

Yea, I had a similar vision to that. No matter how you slice it, this willb e a powerful video. Will should get that guy who did 99 Problems, to do his. I know, he did closer, by Nine Inch Nails, and if you've seen that video...You know where I'm coming from.

• Admin

i like the idea of rev run n dmc being in the video..i'd also like to see chuck d and jazzy jeff in the video maybe krs 1.. just sum legends to support a quality and important song..maybe they could all be in the church scene in AJ's idea

That is a vivid description. The director of Jay-Z music video of "99 Problems" is Mark Romanek. I would love to see the Pioneers of HipHop in the video. Hey AJ you should considering going into directoring music videos. You have some vision. :angel:

That was a very insightful and vivid description. I am extremely impressed, and everytime I hear the song from now on, I'm going to imagine the scenes unfolding the way you've described. I especially like the idea of the pioneers of hip hop being present. It makes the whole thing so epic, showing their sadness for the way things have turned out in the world as well as in the hip hop culture, contrasting it with the way things used to be. The ending you've described is similar to what I envisioned it to be, showing that the new generation, Jaden's generation, could be the answer to the ails of our society and those of the world. I would add one thing though. I would have Jaden crying while he's praying, and have Trey walk up next to him in tears as well, put his hand on Jaden't shoulder, and kneel to pray with him. We're going to have people crying. This could very well be the best and most moving music video ever to be made.

"Tell Me Why" is the only song i've allowed myself 2 hear from Lost + Found since the leak. Mostly becuz i knew about the song since the summer of 2003 and becuz i feel the song would be bigger than the album...and even bigger than Hip-Hop, which it is. Anyways, i'm addicted 2 the song. Partly cuz it's the only full song i've allowed myself 2 check out, and partly becuz it's one of the best songs ever recorded anyways. Everytime i hear, i see the video in my head...and here it is.

The intro, featuring only the strings, opens 2 a black screen with cinamatic credits such as "Tell Me Why, Will Smith, Mary J. Blige," and so on. As the beat drops, an image of FP, walking urban streets in casual street gear (Code Red style boots, jeans, Phillies jersey, winter coat, hat cocked 2 the side) comes up. These various shots don't featuring him rapping the hook. Just a serious, in-thought look on his face.

The 1st verse is very easy 2 imagin. It's simply the visual of what he's rapping about. They can throw in a few of those urban street scenes 2 make it look as if he's looking back on that day. When he mentions seeing the news on TV, they should show some shocking and popular images of that day on a TV screen in the background. Possibly a close up of the TV screen with a reflection of FP's reaction also visable. When it comes the line where he mentions his son praying 4 the victims, they should have a shot of FP standing outside of Trey's doorway, with the focus on Trey, on his knees praying.

As the hook/chorus starts up again, they can go back 2 more urban street scenes. This would be where they show the 1st glimpse of Mary J. in a similar scene (street cloths, walking urban streets. She can be lipping the words tho.' When Mary J's verse comes, i see her on a rooftop, New York style, pouring her soul out.

FP's 2nd verse should be a montoge of him spitting the verse, but with the most focus being on news footage of all the events he mentions. Then can have scrolling newspaper titles appearing and disappearing all over the screen. When he mentions Jam Master Jay, i'd like 2 see a short shot of FP spitting the verse with Run and D at each side. The hook/chorus goes back 2 scenes of FP and Mary J walking the streets...not 2gether tho.'

Lastly, when the music dramatically stops, it cuts 2 a close of up FP rapping acapella. When the beat drops, the camera pans out seeing that FP is in a church pugh (sp?), holding Willow, Jada and Trey sitting beside him. As u see more of the congrogation, maybe some of his close friends can be at the service as well. As the end of the verse approaches, i see the camera still panning away with FP and his family in the background, but now the focus is on Jaden. Who drops 2 his knees and prays in front of the entire church on "Sweetie, u be the light for others / make 'em believe in God." The camera dose a cinamatic spin around Jaden as it backs up, revealing Mary J. Blige in front of a choir singing the last chorus. I also see Rev Run running things in this shot. As the music abrutly fades, the pictures goes 2 black and "Tell Me Why" appears on the screen, then fades.

Go AJ. As a Film student I'd be honoured to put a Music Video like that together

Great Stuff. I still havent heard the song yet but come Monday :kool:

:werd: no matter what it looks like, the music vid for it will be dope cuz the song is so powerful. i like the full detailed description that AJ gave. i'd really like 2 see that happen and i'm sure Will is thinkin' along those same lines. it would be classic 4 run and dmc were both in the vid!

That's a wonderful idea AJ, maybe Tim could relay the message for you. :thumb: