JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Hancock: master thread

MissAshley

SPOILER!

The movie and the character is named Hancock because the main character has amnesia and remembers nothing about himself or his life before he woke up in a hospital. A hospital employee told him to sign his "John Hancock" on the hospital paperwork, and in his daze he initially thought it was actually his name. He took the name because he didn't know his real name.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Message board post from early Hancock screening article

"I was there last night as well and this review is basically wrong. The movie does not break its own rules, you were just not paying attention. They lose their powers when they grow together. Guess you missed the last half hour of the film while you were thinking about writing on this site. I will say the last half hour of the movie dragged for me a bit but this is a case of editing more than anything else. The film is funny and has plenty of action. This is a superhero movie for intelligent adults and not your typical comicbook plot and characters. As soon as I was getting tired of the frenetic pace and plot of the first half of the movie it shifted into something else equally as enjoyable. Do not let this idiotic review put you off. The movie rocks. Charlize Theron is amazing in the film and provides the type of emotional depth you don't normally see in a summer blockbuster release."

More reviews from IMDB:

My take, after watching the advanced screening last night:

The movies starts out with a bang and, for the first hour, there's a great mix of comedy, action and drama (in that order). The fairly tight storyline focuses on Will Smith and Jason Bateman's interaction, with Charlize Theron in the background. Smith's character has super powers but doesn't know why or even who he is; because of this he's surly, drinks heavily and doesn't really care how his actions affect others. Bateman is an idealistic but relatively unsuccessful PR flack who's saved by Hancock and determines return the favor by re-making the hero's image into a more positive one. Theron is Bateman's protective wife.

Once the movie begins to focus on Charlize and Will (and the secret they share), with Jason in the background being jealous, it turned into a fairly serious drama with a few action sequences and little, if any, comedy. The storyline became either convoluted (my term) or confusing (my wife's take). The most disappointing thing was that the last 45 minutes dragged badly (I checked my watch three times). I liked the ending, but (a) it took too long to get there and (b) I only fully understood it after the movie was over. My wife thought the ending was confusing and was pulled out of thin air. Most telling--applause at the end of the screening was short and not enthusiastic.

I don't think the movie overall is a steaming pile; there's a solid foundation on which to build. However, if the producers are looking for a blockbuster they need to:

1) add more humor to the second hour of the film to make the tone more consistent;

2) edit the hell out of the last 45 minutes so the pacing stays somewhat consistent with the beginning;

3) either take out one of the subplots (for instance, the dream sequences) or simplify the relationship between Smith and Theron (and when I say simplify I mean sum it up in two, not 10 or 15, minutes of screen time).

They do that and they'll have a rough equivalent of Men in Black. Otherwise, they'll be lucky to make back their money in the US market.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0448157/board/flat/99107276?p=1

After reading the first bad review, it makes me look forward to it more, i dont think thats what the writer was aiming for.

I mean the sex with the minor thing, if thats true, it sounds hilarious, but maybe i have a sick sence of humour

The reviews are similar to IAL where they say its starts off well and then drags, which is good news for me coz i loved IAL. It sounds like a film where people think there are plot holes, when in reality there arnt the viewer is just too stupid to understand.

After reading the first bad review, it makes me look forward to it more, i dont think thats what the writer was aiming for.

I mean the sex with the minor thing, if thats true, it sounds hilarious, but maybe i have a sick sence of humour

Haha! I have been telling my friends about that all day, think it sounds hilarious. But if that scene will be left in the movie, it really doesn't sound like it will be a PG movie. But, you never know. What i mean is that it really sounds different from the movie that peter berg was talking about a few months ago, "a movie that my kids can watch"...