JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The official ''NBA'' discussion thread

Typhoon20

Mom awarded $54,000 a year in paternity case

Todd Ruger

Published Thursday, June 19, 2008 at 12:22 p.m.

Last updated Thursday, June 19, 2008 at 1 p.m.

SARASOTA — Basketball star Tracy McGrady of the Houston Rockets must pay a Bradenton woman $54,156 a year in child support for their daughter, plus insurance and tuition, a Sarasota County circuit judge ruled.

RELATED NEWS:

* » Judge's ruling

The amount is far less than the $204,000 a year that Pearl Vega, 36, had argued would be more in line with McGrady’s $21.6 million annual income and give their child a lifestyle more equal to that of McGrady’s other children.

Circuit Judge Donna Berlin ruled that Vega had overstated the child’s needs and has “used child support to enhance her personal lifestyle and that of her other two children.”

“It is inappropriate for Ms. Vega to use child support as a means to further her education when she chooses to attend college as a full-time student and expect Mr. McGrady to pay for tuition, a full-time nanny and other domestic help,” Berlin wrote in the decision.

Vega’s attorney immediately filed a notice the mother would appeal.

In a trial in December, Vega's attorneys highlighted exactly what it means to be the child of an NBA star:

McGrady shares a six-bedroom, 23,000-square-foot house with a pool outside Houston with his wife and three children. He spends $5,000 per month on a chef and $1,732 for a housekeeper.

One of the children had a $16,000 birthday party for about 40 children, with a magician, clown, face painter, games and music.

McGrady and his family spend about $45,000 per month for personal travel, sometimes on private jets. The children went on trips to New York, to North Carolina a dozen times -- to Florida about the same number -- and to Atlanta, California, the Turks and Caicos Islands, the Bahamas, Mexico, the Virgin Islands, and Rio de Janeiro.

They stay at Ritz-Carltons, have private preschool and tutors, and get thousands of dollars of clothes every month.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do u guys think the Denver Nuggets will do?

Are Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony gonna get better and finally start to play as a team?

Improvin' their teamwork skills?

Or are they still gonna play alone as they always did and forget about their defense and lose all the games again in the playoffs?

Edited by E - Style-Greesy - E

Yes, it's just a pity to see my favorite player not playin' that good in the playoffs.

I mean he's incredible and he's always makin' the points and shootin' great but that's not everything what counts at basketball.

U need a nice defense and teamwork, too!

And I also hope that the Chicago Bulls are gonna start somethin' again after this very poor season.

Cuz' 2 years ago I really thought the Bulls are kinda back cuz' they had great players, they were young but they wanted to achieve somethin' so I really thought they gonna make it far but this season they just sucked.

Last season they were very good and made it to the playoffs and even in the playoffs they played a very good ballgame.

Now they still have some great and talented young players so that's why I hope that they gonna start somethin' big in the playoffs.

the Bulls are gon do great, I know so. Last year was really dissapointing for them, but this year I think that the east is gonna be more competitive and it could be one of the bes nba seasons ever. I hope they bring back the I love this game commercials.

the Bulls are gon do great, I know so. Last year was really dissapointing for them, but this year I think that the east is gonna be more competitive and it could be one of the bes nba seasons ever. I hope they bring back the I love this game commercials.

Yeah I hope so, too! :wickedwisdom:

Who I don't want to win the playoffs are the Spurs and the Lakers!