JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Are we ruining Hiphop?

Frenetic

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just building off the original post...i really don't like alot of things about music these days. The whole downloading thing is wack 2 me. So many artists are being hurt by this. Cheap unsupportive wanna-be fans are just downloading music with no intention of ever buying it. I guess it's cool if u download it just 2 peep it out, but there's more people who do it just 2 get music for free. With artists like FP, those sales actually mean ALOT. Imagin if everyone who downloaded "Switch" actually bought the album. It would be at least double platinum. Actually buying the album, poppin' it in for the 1st time and hearing 4 the first time, cheching out the art, reading the Thank U's...all of that is a package 2 me. That's why i dont' download music unless it's an unathorized live performance or remix. Of of my favorite artists whose album i'll buy even if it's wack.

On top of that, people aren't requiring much from the people they buy music of. I mean, if they really like it, that's their taste, but there are people who are 20 and 30 years old buying music who write hooks like "now walk it out, walk it out, walk it out, walk it out, walk it out, walk it out, walk it out, walk it out." ...R u kidding me?!?! These people need 2 demand skillz, demand lyrics that mean something...real lyrics, demand respect, demand intellegence. And that goes for any kind of music...but especially Hip-Hop music. These young kids just don't know better cuz they've never heard of De La Soul, Brand Nubian, etc. It's just depressing. I gotta shut up b4 i get worked up...ha ha.

I always bought albums and still do, but I'm running out of room to keep all the cases. So now I've got an eMusic subscription, where at least I pay a little bit to download the songs. It's all independent/underground music too. You know what's funny?: it's amazing how few songs I've downloaded actually stick in my head and are memorable. It's become rather disposable.

Take for example: I downloaded CL Smooth's "Smoke In the Air" song and didn't think much of it, then I later bought the cd and that is one of my favorite songs; when I listen to it within the context of the whole cd.

Artists like the Game, Jay-Z, and such I will probably just get a copy from someone who bought or downloaded it. These artists sell enough units as it is, and they're nowhere near my favorites, but if someone is praising their new work, then I get curious and ask for a copy. I would download them, but eMusic doesn't feature major-label artists. I don't feel guilty about getting their work for free through. If it's turns out really good, then perhaps I'll buy their next album or sumpn.

Edited by Hymn Strings

Yeah I wouldn'tput rappers like Jay-Z, Game, and Kanye as artists that're underrated/being slept on selling less albums then they should, they're the most popular and they're all high rated, but there's other rappers that're just as talented that deserved to be supported too, maybe the best thing would be though if the record sales keep slowing down that way hip-hop could go back to being an underground genre and nobody will be worrying about dumbing down for lil' Stacey in Michigan to listen

I've become a Music Industry Anarchist. I want more and more peeps to download music, more and more artists to be dropped, more and more labels to go under! Seeing Tower Records go down warms my heart!

You want to save music in general and Hip-Hop in particular? Download everything you can and only buy what you LOVE! Make the music hating, artist despising industry fat cats die! SUPPORT INDEPENDENT LABELS AND ARTISTS!!!

BTW, if you buy an album with 15 tracks and 12 of them are wack, then YOU are part of the problem!

i always buy my albums, i just like to have the cover and the actual CD, its something i will be able to work when im 80, i doubt i will still have my downloaded songs then lol. i only download singles and then i pay for them on itunes. But dont worry cozmo, i only buy the ones i really like anyway, most of the music out these days isnt even worth the time it takes to download them.

but downloading should in theory make artists better, if they want the sales they need to get better.

I've become a Music Industry Anarchist. I want more and more peeps to download music, more and more artists to be dropped, more and more labels to go under! Seeing Tower Records go down warms my heart!

You want to save music in general and Hip-Hop in particular? Download everything you can and only buy what you LOVE! Make the music hating, artist despising industry fat cats die! SUPPORT INDEPENDENT LABELS AND ARTISTS!!!

BTW, if you buy an album with 15 tracks and 12 of them are wack, then YOU are part of the problem!

LOL at Cozmo's revolutionary rant but I do feel you on what you said. The industry needs to be destroyed and rebuilt. Too few people have control over the whole industry. The music industry as it's constructed now is a dinosaur that's too stupid to understand that it's going to die in its current state. Digital is not only the future, it's already here. They keep trying to control the digital scene and downloading because in the digital form the people control the music. The industry is archaic and outdated and it needs to die.

• Admin

LOL at Cozmo's revolutionary rant but I do feel you on what you said. The industry needs to be destroyed and rebuilt. Too few people have control over the whole industry. The music industry as it's constructed now is a dinosaur that's too stupid to understand that it's going to die in its current state. Digital is not only the future, it's already here. They keep trying to control the digital scene and downloading because in the digital form the people control the music. The industry is archaic and outdated and it needs to die.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: -

The relationship from the artist directly to the fan will result in better music..

going artist> wack label> industry bull****> radio bull****> fan just aint gonna produce much good

It'll make all these sell out artists stop recording too, if artists are only in the game for money and fame and don't care about the music they make then they gotta get the **** out of the music buisiness, that way only the true artists that love their craft will be making music

It'll make all these sell out artists stop recording too, if artists are only in the game for money and fame and don't care about the music they make then they gotta get the **** out of the music buisiness, that way only the true artists that love their craft will be making music

I dont really agree with that.. Off course everybody wanna make more money.. And when they are desperate then they do thing that you call a "sell out" would do.. But that's life..

Peace

I dont really agree with that.. Off course everybody wanna make more money.. And when they are desperate then they do thing that you call a "sell out" would do.. But that's life..

Peace

It should be about artists making better music if they want to make more money and if an artist just stops making music just 'cause they don't make enough money then they don't have passion for their music, it's like ball players who liked playing ball in the park all day but when they get to the major leagues they get fat off their contract and they lose the love for the game, that shouldn't happen, but in sports though the ones who work the hardest are the ones that have the most success, I'd like to see the music industry be like that, the artists that put their heart into their music the most should be the ones on top

Peace

It should be about artists making better music if they want to make more money and if an artist just stops making music just 'cause they don't make enough money then they don't have passion for their music, it's like ball players who liked playing ball in the park all day but when they get to the major leagues they get fat off their contract and they lose the love for the game, that shouldn't happen, but in sports though the ones who work the hardest are the ones that have the most success, I'd like to see the music industry be like that, the artists that put their heart into their music the most should be the ones on top

The big guy is absolutely right. The industry is over-sturated with too many no-talent havin', garbage makin, copy cattin', gimmick needin f'artisits. They came in as sell-outs and they'll go out the same way when there's nobody left for them to sell-out to. It will be then that the true artists will be heard from again. The ones who never sold-out and so couldn't get any play will shine like beacons. The ones who lost their way and did sell-out will stop their whorish ways and follow those beacons back to the art.

Edited by Cozmo D