JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Terrible music videos

Lerkot

ok this thing is basically about Will degrading women right? How many women here can say they are offended by the switch and ps video. Not me!

If u want a bad video watch the uncensored r kelly fiesta video and nerd lapdance video, then watch Wills and see which one is degrading. Will treats women with respect and keeps to that in his songs and his videos.

If it were up to you lerkot, what would u want the women in the clubs to be doing and wearing?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jazzy Julie aint offended of Switch of PS, Georgie n Timmay, stand up and tell Lerk: *georgie n Timmay say "Nooooooo"* :kekeke:

Aight now, I've been holding back but I just gotta drop my 2 cents here to stop the ignorance, now the point about the "Lost and Found" track was to make people aware of being original with their ideas when they make songs and videos, he's not knocking gangsta rap 'cause he likes gangsta rap in reality, he likes Biggie, 2Pac, Jay-Z, DMX, 50 Cent, etc but he feels that not everybody should rap like them, rappers need to bring originality, that's the problem with the rap game right now, everybody's trying to imitate each other, and record labels only promote a certain image and don't give rappers who ain't rapping about thug life a break into the industry, you shouldn't have to be a drug dealer to get a record deal, that's the point Will was making, I mean if 90% of the rap game was not cursing like Will Smith it'd be pretty boring too, artists need to find their own identity and labels need to celebrate that instead of putting that down, we need balance, and that's basically what Will was saying, read this from Will's site if you haven't already:

"Meanwhile, the potent title cut's constructive critiques of his beloved art form begins with Will Smith reciting Webster's definition of "original" over an arrangement of terse strings. He explains, "If you don't dress like everybody in all the other videos dresses, or your drums don't sound like everyone's, or your rhyme scheme isn't like everyone else's, you don't fit in according to the industry. So originality isn't necessarily nurtured. As far as defining it at the beginning of the record, I did that to say, let's clear up what originality means and figure out how that could be a bad thing."

"I'm a hip hop head from the old school, so I appreciate all kinds of hip hop. I just need it to just say something. I feel like N.W.A's first album and Biggie's first album should be used in psychology classes-they're such accurate, powerful depictions of the lifestyle. Such brilliant well thought out, well-defined, well-rounded albums. For my taste, I need records like those. They just have some intellectual base to it. I like fun records. I make fun records. But there just has to be a point to it."

Edited by bigted

Ted, this is part of the reason why i sometimes ignore your posts: you go off track. i don't get what that has to do with the topic. i mean Lerkot mentioned Lost & Found in the first post, but it was in relation to Will's videos. your post didnt say anything about Will's videos so i'm kinda struggling to see what you're gettin at.

i guess maybe you were making the point that Will is original in his music and videos and he's not being like everyone else in them? clarify for me if you would.

Edited by WesSyde

And they're too long man, anyway i gotta go to dance wit sum "half-naked" girls. lerk ure still in time to admit ur wrong

i guess maybe you were making the point that Will is original in his music and videos and he's not being like everyone else in them? clarify for me if you would.

Yeah that's basically what I was saying and that's basically all that I'm gonna say in this thread, nuff said..

Aight time for some answers, I'll take them one by one:

"you acknowledge that you know how women dress today. so why is what Will's doing BAD? if that's how they dress, then why is it bad? could you tell me that? if guys dress in baggy pants and thats how its shown on videos then why is it bad?"

Its more the suspicious camera angles that shows the part of women that usually hides in the dark, and then the silly dirty dancing. I cant say I know exactly how girls USUALLY dance nowadays, but I doubt they are switching...

"We have always (as a board) said that Will stays true to himself and always keeps it real. Now all of a sudden you are claiming the opposite. i don't think there's anything in Will's lyrical content that supports your statement. please give us the line in Party Starter you are referring to that could imply that Will is talking about spending time with women."

"Just write ya number down right next to ya name, girl", I dont know, I have always seen that line as something I dont wanna see, but now when I think of it it might mean something else. I dont get the line even in context. Does he mean that he is going to tell his name on the phone?

Will is pretty real in my opinion except the fact that I doubt he is writing very much nowadays, and something he contradicts (the right word?) himself and then explains himself ten years later. "Gangsta rap was wack" - "hi im will smith i like gangsta rap bye".

"sorry, i gotta respond to this too. once again, as a board we usually say Will strives to be different. i must totally disagree with your statement. Will is not doing the same. Are there chicks in the bathing suits which appear on camera for half of the video? is holding a 40 in one hand and a gun in the other? does Will have on a chain and some wrist bling? does he have a grill in his mouth? is he exploiting women in his songs? is he cursing, is he promoting violence? is he encouraging drug use?"

Nah, most of that is things Will stay away from but he is exploiting women in his videos, not on an extreme level but I've heard from many many that he is lowering his game. Ive not heard it from JJFP fans but from other people.

"even if you were right in your claim that Will is doing the same with women in his videos, that still doesnt make him unoriginal or going down the path of other rappers because he isn't glorifying any of those other things."

Of course he is not like the others when it comes to the other stuff. In that case I wouldnt be here.

"random question: why did u decide to bring up this whole topic about Will degrading women and not keepin it real in his videos and songs a whole year after the release of his album?"

Well, currently I am going to the media programme at school and one of the subjects last week was how music videos effects people (especially kids) and if we really want objectified women dancing around. I was leaning back all confident, thinking "hah, Im not watching that kind of bull****" when I suddenly thought... oh hell, its almost the same ****.. half-naked girls dancing and getting looked at, and filmed from down.. damn..". My mission was to introduce that way of thinking. I dont expect anyone to agree, just have it in mind; perhaps Will Smith makes one or two moves only for the money, even when it comes down to music videos...

"There are diferences in Will's vids and trash artists vids: trash artists show women like prostitues, Will just shows girlies doin sensual moves to attract men, so they aint put like objects."

Its a VERY thin line actually... sensual moves to attract men, or being a prostitute...

"If it were up to you lerkot, what would u want the women in the clubs to be doing and wearing?"

If I could repaint the world I would remove the clubs.. but if thats not possible, then something like... jeans and a t-shirt? This is pretty uninteresting, Im not a fashion lion.

And then we got Bigted, as usual talking about something totally different. Interesting.

"when you make it an atrocity (sp?) that Will has women dressed the way they are when it's completely normal, it makes me question 1) what they do in Sweden and 2) if you ever look at girls. no offense, that's how i look at it and i'm sorry for bringing that to the board's attention."

1. What girls do in Sweden? Well, about 50% are crap girls that I wouldnt touch with a stick. 25% can still be saved from the "work at Mcdonalds" future and 25% keeps their head over the water.. of course its very much from my perspective.

2. Yeah I look at girls sometimes for a second or so but I prefer talking with them.

"Its more the suspicious camera angles that shows the part of women that usually hides in the dark,"

i will have to watch the videos to see the camera angles, i forgot how they were. i'll get back to you on that

"and then the silly dirty dancing. I cant say I know exactly how girls USUALLY dance nowadays, but I doubt they are switching..."

there's your problem: you don't know how girls dance. you don't understand that women dance like that with guys in clubs all the time. ask Julie, she's done the "switch" at the club. that dancing with Will wasnt all that bad. people freak in the club, people dry hump in the club, people get drunk and have dirty makeout touching scenes in the club... and we all know what this eventually leads to. you should realize that that's just how people dance these days and nothin unordinary was in the video for dancing

"Just write ya number down right next to ya name, girl", I dont know, I have always seen that line as something I dont wanna see, but now when I think of it it might mean something else. I dont get the line even in context. Does he mean that he is going to tell his name on the phone?

ok, how can i explain this? it doesnt imply Will is seeing multiple women. it's about having a good time. here's where you're caught up: you assume everything Will is saying is somethin he's actually doing. he's saying "girl, give me ya number" in the same joking fashion as FPOBA, but he doesnt mean it LITERALLY. it's like he's making this song for 600,000 people and he's saying when you're partying you try to get girls numbers. he's not saying HE does that himself since he's married. it's a vague statement that you are wrapped up in way too much. it's just a term that explains how you feel when you're partying.

"Nah, most of that is things Will stay away from but he is exploiting women in his videos, not on an extreme level but I've heard from many many that he is lowering his game. Ive not heard it from JJFP fans but from other people."

i'll say it again, Will isn't exploiting women. women on this board dont feel exploited and everyone agrees that it's an accurate depiction of how women and men often dance together, yes, even married men can dance with other women cuz it's in the spirit of FUN, it's not leading to sex or anything. and your quote about how you've heard from many that Will is lowering his game is so laughable. who have you heard this from?? all the other crazy people who think like you in Sweden? you're exactly right when you say you havent heard it from his fans, and guess what? HIS FANS KNOW HIM BEST :word:

"Its a VERY thin line actually... sensual moves to attract men, or being a prostitute..."

i wonder how you expect men and women to attract each other? sure, talking to girls is a good thing, but how is she gonna think your more than just a guy talking to her as a stranger rather than a guy talking to her that likes her? sometimes u gotta do somethin to show her. im not sayin u gotta make sensual moves, but sometimes u gotta flirt. i dunno, maybe they do it different in Sweden

Lerkot for president in 2008! Scratch the dubs and gid rid of clubs!

Oh lawd....this whole mess is unecessary. I'm probably repeating alot of stuff already said, but i wazn't about 2 waste tyme reading all those other posts.

"Switch" is a dope video. L+F is FP's low key way of getting back in2 the game after an extreemly slick and flashy take over of the pop charts...then slipping drastically with B2R. As a reflection of the album, FP came out with a down 2 earth video and unique club song. It's definitly done in true FP fashion...but it also fits in nicely in with the boring videos put 2gether by 2day's lesser talented commerical rap fools. The success of the song is proof that the formula worked. The song is 4 the clubs...why would they come up with some out-there kinda concept 4 the video. It fits. And the ladies in the video didn't come off as tasteless 2 me. Check all of FP's videos...the girls are always fine. Even if there is some revealing outfits, nothing is ever tasteless in his videos. Look at those 50 Cent and Nelly videos. They are filled with thick girls, with bad skin, stretch marks, and cellulite infested thighs (think i'm lying...watch late nite music video shows). One thing u'll never see in an FP video is a girl who has 2 be blurred cuz she's showing 2 much.

Stupid topic if u ask me...very stupid.

:word: This whole thread is pointless, you should lock the thread AJ, that's why I didn't even wanna respond in the first place to the foolish statements being made, hey Lerkot I just don't get how you could say Slick Rick's one of your favorite rappers but then you criticise Will's videos for being too sexual, I mean they don't compare to how explicitly Slick Rick raps about sex min his songs, you coming off as contractictory, it's only entertainment, stop analyzing it so damn much...

Edited by bigted

yeah, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. basically the whole argument comes out to lerkot saying "why does will have to be like every one else and show women in his vids" and the rest of us saying: "the women are in good taste and not in poor judgement and thats how things are these days". the argument is done cuz its leading nowhere, it's simply a judgement call, and it's like a 29:1 ratio on the judgement. anyways i think i made all of the points i wanted to so im satisfied with where i stood

yeah, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. basically the whole argument comes out to lerkot saying "why does will have to be like every one else and show women in his vids" and the rest of us saying: "the women are in good taste and not in poor judgement and thats how things are these days". the argument is done cuz its leading nowhere, it's simply a judgement call, and it's like a 29:1 ratio on the judgement. anyways i think i made all of the points i wanted to so im satisfied with where i stood

just gotta put my 2 cents in here since I missed this topic completely.

I know exactly what Lerk is saying. Talking about the camera angles and very short clips of implied sexually natured dancing, in that respect I think he is doing the same as everyone else, and that is probably down to Paul Hunter's directing. That dude directs for loads of artists so I guess that's just part of his individual style to an extent.

Believe me Lerk, I've been out clubbing four times this week and I've seen (and done :lol:) far 'worse' than anything in these videos...

Once you get out clubbing in a few years time you'll see the light and this won't be an issue anymore...