JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Police Say Proof Fired First

Angel Amor

Police Say Dead Rapper Proof Fired First

Apr 12, 12:00 PM EST

The Associated Press

DETROIT -- Rapper Proof fired the first bullet in a Detroit nightclub shootout that ended his life, police said Wednesday.

The bullet hit Keith Bender, 35, in the head, critically injuring him early Tuesday at the C.C.C., a bar in a strip of businesses along Eight Mile, the road made famous in Eminem's movie of the same name.

Proof, whose real name is Deshaun Holton, was taken to a nearby outpatient treatment center by a private car, where he was pronounced dead.

Detectives are currently trying to figure out who shot Proof, said Detroit police spokesman Sgt. Omar Feliciano. He said his office was told by homicide detectives that Proof fired the first shot at Bender.

Feliciano said no further information has been released.

Proof, 32, was a member of the rap group D12 and was the best man in Eminem's January wedding. Eminem was seldom seen in public without Proof.

Police said officers responding to 911 calls about 4:30 a.m. Tuesday found the bar empty when they arrived.

Bender also was taken to a hospital by a private car.

Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings said Tuesday that detectives don't know what Proof was doing at the bar, which was operating outside of its licensed hours. Investigators face a unique challenge because no victims were present at the crime scene, Bully-Cummings said.

Police have said that an argument between two parties at the club escalated into gunfire.

http://entertainment.msn.com/music/article...220975&GT1=7937

Thats ashame. I wander what the results would be now if he hadn't even brought a weapon with him... Sadly, probably would be alive now. I wish the violence would just stop! too many innocent ppl losing their lives...

peace,

cookie

Thats ashame. I wander what the results would be now if he hadn't even brought a weapon with him... Sadly, probably would be alive now. I wish the violence would just stop! too many innocent ppl losing their lives...

peace,

cookie

I agree 100%...Too many good people dying over some really stupid bull ****/ Really gets to me. RIP Proof, and I hope people look at this and stop acting. I understand he maybe have been heated and Liquired up, clouding his better judgement but still...., damn....that sucks.

And I've been hearing conflicting stories..

One was that Proof Fired first, one said proof just knocked dude down, another said he knocked him down, and stood over with a gun pointed at him, never pulling the trigger...

Also, the man that shot ihm turned himself into the cops, so at least this won't go unsolved.

If he was firing first, then he was part of the problem in the industry, and so only really brought his death upon himself. Sorry, but I can't empathise with that.

Yeah I aint sayin R.I.P to someone who fired first, but to his three kids I say: L.I.P.

Ash trey...u live in a disillusional world. The word "dope emcee" could never be associated D12. Anyone who carrys a gun and fires it in a public place or in a way 2 threaten someone...is a coward and gets no respect from me. Not that Proof ever got any from me. I say "Rest In Peace" ...and i feel for his family...but it gets no deeper than that.

Hopefully this is a lesson to these rappers in the game now to stop glorifying violence in their songs and in real life, carrying a gun with you is not "keepin' it real", **** having street cred and even if people call them soft at least they'll live longer, I pray that these rappers like Eminem and 50 Cent learn from this and grow up....

Edited by bigted

If he was firing first, then he was part of the problem in the industry, and so only really brought his death upon himself. Sorry, but I can't empathise with that.

Yeah I aint sayin R.I.P to someone who fired first, but to his three kids I say: L.I.P.

Yeah, that's why I avoided posting in the other thread. The guy was a petty thug, acted like one, and when he took things too far he suffered the consequences.

I don't know why people are making a big deal out of this, when there are many other unrecognised people to mourn over, that may actually deserve your tears.

We can at least hope this will cause people to open their eyes more, but it won't. They'll just carry around more weapons under the "self-protection" excuse, and things will escalate.

Those who weep for these, weep for corruption.

Da work Proof did with D12 in my opinion was wack (it was done only for shock value)! His solo mixtapes and album efforts were more serious, consious and just overall better! My friend gave me a similar reaction when I told him that Wills a dope MC so it isn't fair to be judgemental upon a few tracks u've heard.

Who cares if he had a got damn gun, someone got killed. A family with kids lost theyr dad. And now just caus he shot firts to defend himself, you guys are hating. If he wouldnt have no gun he probably would have been shot anway. Come one guys, someone got killed, and even tho he wasnt all good ether, he wasnt a bad person who deserved to die.. If you ask me its a shame how you guys act..

I didn't wanna say nothin, but I felt kinda the same way... Don't matter how good or bad his work was, he did lose his life... and I don't think this is the time or place to diss anyone... Hes gone,,... we're all still here.

Lets just show sum respect for the brotha losing his life... was just a bad choice, bad tyming, and to see a fellow person losing their life in a situation like this, is NEVER a good thang.... know what i mean? :shakehead:

Rest In Peace...

~cookie

RIP to Proof and everybody that died today, whether they're famous or not, and just 'cause he's a hardcore rapper don't mean anything, you can't forget that even JMJ was murdered and he didn't have a hardcore image, I don't think we have to like Proof'smusic just 'cause he passed away either but we could give our condolences no doubt, and of course since he's famous though hopefully this'll show the rap fans and the public in general not to take life for granted...

Edited by bigted

Noone has the right to take another mans life!