JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Just passed my driving test!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the main reasons it costs so much is because the government makes it as hard as possible for people to drive, they want less people driving and more using public transport, it pretty much sucks but I see where they're coming from...

what's driving like in the UK? do people drive safely and follow the speed limits (there are speed limits i'm assuming) or do they just drive however they want? how strict are the police on violators?

well most of the time people do drive safely, yeah and they have speed cameras in certain places/roads and if you get caught speeding by one of these then you get points on your licence, i cant remeber how many though

but if i get 6 points over the next 2 years i have to go back to learner status

I just had to take an online "course" here in the US because I had a few incidents which the cops didn't approve of. The whole thing was a joke and seemed like a scam to get $35 out of me. I had to open a website, which I was supposed to read, and I had to leave it open for 1 hour. I then had to do that 3 more times. Then I took the test, which is open book and allows me to look through the web site for the answers. But there wasn't any need for that, since the questions where all about as tough as "At a yellow light, do you: Speed up, slam on the breaks, or decide if you can safely break in time?" (I believe that was one of the actual questions and answers)

thanx for the info wes, that was one of those questions that i had to know lol.

I say most people dont follow the rules in driving here. The majority of people speed, i generally dont unless im on the motorway and im in a rush lol. I probably break most of the rules tho coz i cant remmember them anymore.

Here in Sweden (just like in the rest of Europe I think) it costs sick amounts of money to get a license.. $1000 (including lessons and so) is the average I think.. People drive pretty safely here.. much because you have to be rather old and (as a result of high age) mature to get a drivers license, I think.

Edited by Lerkot

One of the main reasons it costs so much is because the government makes it as hard as possible for people to drive, they want less people driving and more using public transport, it pretty much sucks but I see where they're coming from...

what's driving like in the UK? do people drive safely and follow the speed limits (there are speed limits i'm assuming) or do they just drive however they want? how strict are the police on violators?

Yeah, we've got speed limits ( I think they're slightly higher than most of yours though)... but yeah, people will break them without thinking twice in places where they aren't gonna get caught. There's a points system, and if you accumulate too many points then you'll have to take the test again.... it's pretty fair... I used to drive like a nutcase but I've chilled out now, I'm proud of my driving...

Yeah, we've got speed limits ( I think they're slightly higher than most of yours though)... but yeah, people will break them without thinking twice in places where they aren't gonna get caught. There's a points system, and if you accumulate too many points then you'll have to take the test again.... it's pretty fair... I used to drive like a nutcase but I've chilled out now, I'm proud of my driving...

sounds alot like driving in the US. most people go over the limit, but not by that much. pretty much everyone has an understanding that you can go a few MPH over and you arent being reckless. however there are police all over the place looking for violators of the laws and if they catch you, you get written up a ticket for a certain amount of money that you have to pay. in addition, it goes onto your record, and if you get a certain amount of points you get your liscense suspended.

since driving sounds pretty under control in the UK, i wonder why they make it so hard to get a license? over here its not that hard, but driving conditions depend from day to day. because of the diversity, especially where i live in the heart of silicon valley, you will see asian drivers who have different styles than US drivers and drive under the limit and talk on the phone at the same time.

i wanna go to the uk sometime and drive a car from the right side and drive on the left side of the street, that sounds fun!

sounds alot like driving in the US. most people go over the limit, but not by that much. pretty much everyone has an understanding that you can go a few MPH over and you arent being reckless. however there are police all over the place looking for violators of the laws and if they catch you, you get written up a ticket for a certain amount of money that you have to pay. in addition, it goes onto your record, and if you get a certain amount of points you get your liscense suspended.

since driving sounds pretty under control in the UK, i wonder why they make it so hard to get a license? over here its not that hard, but driving conditions depend from day to day. because of the diversity, especially where i live in the heart of silicon valley, you will see asian drivers who have different styles than US drivers and drive under the limit and talk on the phone at the same time.

i wanna go to the uk sometime and drive a car from the right side and drive on the left side of the street, that sounds fun!

likewise, Left hand drive would be weird... only thing I find slightly weird would be that since most people are right handed, you would want that hand to be in control (steering) whilst the weaker (left) hand did the easier task of changing gear... oh yeah, somethin else I wanted to ask, what proportion of cars are manual in the US, probably over 99% are over here, I have a feeling it will be a lot less in the states Wes?

likewise, Left hand drive would be weird... only thing I find slightly weird would be that since most people are right handed, you would want that hand to be in control (steering) whilst the weaker (left) hand did the easier task of changing gear... oh yeah, somethin else I wanted to ask, what proportion of cars are manual in the US, probably over 99% are over here, I have a feeling it will be a lot less in the states Wes?

yeah i dont have the stats but a lot of cars are automatic over here. i'd say that somewhere between 30 - 40% of cars in the US are manual. automatic transmissions are becoming more and more common, especially with young teens driving who don't learn how to drive manual cars.

yeah i dont have the stats but a lot of cars are automatic over here. i'd say that somewhere between 30 - 40% of cars in the US are manual. automatic transmissions are becoming more and more common, especially with young teens driving who don't learn how to drive manual cars.

wow, I thought as much... man I'd hate to drive an automatic, there's nothing like knocking it down a gear and booting it out of a bend :wiggle: you got manual?

wow, I thought as much... man I'd hate to drive an automatic, there's nothing like knocking it down a gear and booting it out of a bend :wiggle: you got manual?

nope i don't have a manual and i don't know how to drive one either. when you take driving lessons with an instructor, they only have automatic cars. the only way to learn to drive a manual is have your parents/friends teach you. my dad has a manual car but he wont teach me how to drive it, my parents say that i dont need to know how, so i guess i'll never know lol.

Ah automatic cars. That'll be half of the reason why it's so easy to learn to drive in the US. I mean, you have what - an accelerator, a break, a handbreak and a steering wheel. No clutch or gear stick.

I'd say almost every car on the road here in the UK is a manual. I wouldn't want to drive without manual either. Especially down steep hills here in the Highlands, where the gears are used to restrict the cars speed. That wouldn't really happen with an automatic.

Edited by thePrince