JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

When is the first time u hear and like ...

i remember my it was some summer of the early 90' i was 5 or 6 years old kid and my parents just buy me some new compilation it wasn't something good as long as heard new ,different sound it was the whole music with the beat ,the singing and the rhythm ,that song was Boom !!! Shake the room. From then ... to now... i love the hip hop :1-say-yes:

1987.. i was 7

at that time i was at the grand old age of 1 :haha:

• Members

1990 when I first saw Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby". That was it, I had never seen or heard anything like it. Literally from that day onwards I became a big fan of rap and hip-hop. This is why even though many people hate Vanilla, I still like him because he was the first rap artist I heard and liked. :2thumbs:

well i didn't start buying any music til i was about 13, the first rap album i ever bought was Big Willie Style when i was 14.

I always used to like choons like Jump by Kriss Kross, Outhere Bros songs and Boom Shake The Room as a kid tho.

I can't pin point it. I just remember hearing Hip-Hop in the mid 80's. JJ+FP, LL Cool J, MC Hammer, Run-DMC, Young MC. I did hear it on the radio, but 4 the most part, i heard mixtapes my older cousin used 2 make...aka, tapes filled with Hip-Hop and R-N-B off the radio. I also had friends with older brothers and sisters who had stuff by MC Lyte, Public Enemy, Father MC, and so on. It waz just different, it waz fresh, and it seemed like it waz 4 me. I had no idea it would be where it is 2day. As in how huge it would be...and how crappy it's commerical image is.

I'd say '96 was the 1st year I started listening to hip-hop, I was 11-years old at the time, I used to listen to only r&b before that, the 1st ever album I got was LL Cool J's "All World" on cassette and my favorite songs that year were Nas' "If I Ruled The World" with Lauryn Hill and Fugees "Ready Or Not", I starting watching "Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air" back in '95 and didn't know Will was a rapper until "Just Crusin'" came out in '97 and I got the "Men In Black" soundtrack. :lolsign:

for me it is as far back as I can remember. I remember some obscure rap song that ended with some odd noise at the end, and me and my best friend would find it funny as hell. I also remember that there was a wu-wear store in my neighborhood (its now a barbershop) and that influenced me, also there was a music store that would blast rap music on a old school turntable and we dared my friend to break dance in front of the store and out of no where the owner saw it and started to scratch the record.

I can't even remember the first time, I was so young. I was born in 87, I probably started recognizing hip hop as music I enjoyed around 1990. I do remember the first time I memorized a song though. My mom had bought Christian tape with a hip hop song on it. Real deep song too. A good way to be introduced into the finer points of hip hop.

I bought my own tape called Muzik ta Ride 2 (the first one). I loved that tape. It was hardcore Christian Hip Hop. The rappers were former gang members and believe it or not, Christian hip hop can be grittier than secular rap. My mom went behind my back and eventually returned it like a year later. I was not happy.

Being a little kid, I wouldn't have much money. I'd go to Longs Christian Store and listen to CD's for free (Deezer D stands out the most, I still remember a lot of his stuff). It wasn't until later that I'd truly spread out and aquire a wider taste of hip hop. Because I grew up on quality, I'm quick to notice the crap out there. And there's a lot of it. Will Smith had always caught my attention as a positive guy and he was one of the first hip hop acts I pursued. I've used his honesty in his music as an example of how I would like to create. The smooth flow of Hip Hop has probably made me the creative person I am today.

God Blessa!