40 members have voted

1. 1. Who did a better job?

• Interscope
    • Columbia

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To tell the truth, I don't know what went down with Sony and Will nor do I know what's going on with Interscope and Will, so I won't vote for either of them.

However...

I won't be party to the "hate Sony" uprising going on. Look what Big Willie Style sold, 9x platinum. That alone allows me to forgive any transgressions by Sony/Columbia. BWS didn't sell that much by just word of mouth. Sony did their thing over the long haul after all the movie hype from MIB was gone. Willenium was also a pretty good album. Sony did drop the ball on Born to Reign. Will's problem wasn't really with the music he makes. A lot of you enjoyed that music, I certainly did. The real problem is the hip hop community's perception of him. That pervasive "He's an actor, he should leave hip hop alone" attitude is key. They think he's old school, that he doesn't swear enough and he isn't gangsta enough. They won't even give him his props as a pioneer, and they've been saying these things even pre-Sony. It just happens that Will has taken time away from acting to really focus on his music, had a more serious message to convey and has put out a better product on interscope. I can't fault Sony on speculation. Until Will says in an interview or writes in a song, "Sony kept me back" or something of that nature, everything is speculation.

All mainstream labels suck, I would be happier if FP decided to go independent 'cause realistically a 40-year old ain't gonna be able to get heavy airplay on MTV(maybe except him and LL 'cause they look half their age), the teenagers wanna see peeps close to their age like B2K and Bow Wow get airplay and that's a fact whether you like it or not, the audience is limited to the youth, I don't think many 40 year olds watch MTV. and btw, that 50/Game feud was shown all over the news, so the albums ended up gettin' more pub than intended, America loves drama, we even see the news talk about the negativity of Eminem before they talk about the positivity of Will Smith. :poke:

Edited by bigted

All mainstream labels suck, I would be happier if FP decided to go independent 'cause realistically a 40-year old ain't gonna be able to get heavy airplay on MTV(maybe except him and LL 'cause they look half their age), the teenagers wanna see peeps close to their age like B2K and Bow Wow get airplay and that's a fact whether you like it or not, the audience is limited to the youth, I don't think many 40 year olds watch MTV. and btw, that 50/Game feud was shown all over the news, so the albums ended up gettin' more pub than intended, America loves drama, we even see the news talk about the negativity of Eminem before they talk about the positivity of Will Smith. :poke:

Pleeeeeeeaase dont remind me of him going 40 :/

Well Jazzy Jeff's 40 right now, there ain't nothin' wrong with admitting that, we're all getting older too, one day people'll say that I'm ol' school too, but that doesn't mean that their skills are declining, it's just a prejudice that the music industry still has(even in sports too, there's some players that could still play and want to play over 40 like Charles Oakley but never get signed so they're forced to retire, their skills are declined by then from injuries but when you play that long you should be allowed to retire on your own 'cause high school kids are allowed to skip college so veterans should have rights too), it's the same way as it was 30 years ago when the record labels dumped James Brown 'cause they thought he was too old, but he's still performing till this day, fighting against odds and making millions independantly! :ali:

Hey this article in this new book I'm reading "Where You're At" is right on point to this concept of the messed up industry:

"Drop in on Bronx Science on a weekday afternoon and you might get lucky. Around 4PM, once or twice a week, you'll find an impromptu gathering of 30-something ol' school cats who come to hang out with their man Big Scoob and shoot the breeze. Some of these guys are legends-Daryl MacDaniel from Run-Dmc, Das-EFX, Fu-Schnickens, King Sun and MC Shan-and they tell their stories like Vietnam Vets, of their gold records and how they used to sell out this or that venue.

Sometimes they talk bitterly of how f----d up the scene is right now. These guys were the founders but they were never paid like the superstars of today, often tied into exploitative contracts, they didn't "get" the buisiness like a Jay-Z or Puffy. They talk about making comebacks and they don't understand that their names are long played out. DMC isn't DMC anymore, he's just plain Daryl. He's not marketable either."

Talent gets overshadowed by flashiness on the mainstream level but it's worse than ever, 'cause now we're in the video era, if you don't have a bling-bling type video like 90% of videos do according to FP, you ain't gettin' airplay, people don't want to see another a Public Enemy or Rakim video, come on now is Ciara really the most talented young singer out there? There was probably a young girl there around her age that song way better than her at the audition but she probably got ignored 'cause she probably didn't look as attractive as Ciara, and that's a damn shame.

Edited by bigted

Okay, which 2 people voted for columbia ?

Please report yourself ASAP to the site admin for further notice !... :kekeke:

Oops. I did. Sorry. :confused3:

hehe, that's ok cuz like u said, Columbia did a better job where u live, but that wasn't the case for most other places!

Jive

no jive screws anyone who isn't a pop artist. They aren't a rap label. Mobb Deep was on the label, got NO promotion. They left though

Jive wazn't a big pop label until 1999. Up until that part, they were a Hip-Hop label. One of the biggest Hip-Hop labels in history. DJ Jazzy Jeff + Fresh Prince, R. Kelly, Keith Murray, Souls of Mischtif, Aaliyah, Too Short, Boogie Down Productions/KRS-One, Fu-Schnickens', Nuttin' Nyc, Smooth, A Tribe Called Quest.

When i look at FP's time on any label, Jive treated them the best when it came 2 promotion. I know Jive ripped them off and held them 2 a rediculous contract, but Columbia actually tarnished his image...and Interscope hasn't done anything. That's why i say Jive. On Jive, they had gave them the most music videos and promotion...and they all got played!!

Well Columbia really ruined FP's credability in hip-hop the most and made him more of a pop rapper image rather than lettin' him be the hip-hop mc he's always been but they did give him a lot of promotion and lackluster production by The Trackmasters on occasions that kept those albums from being perfect classics, "Big Willie Style" sold more than all JJFP CDs combined, but I think cred is more important than sales, and they f****d up his image. FP's making 20 million a film though, he should be able to get Overbrook going even stronger and promote himself, he would actually do better doing that.

Edited by bigted