JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The New Label

SEALK

I could never ever see him with Bad Boys. That's P-diddy's label. They would destroy Will and tell him to do stuff that Will wouldn't want to do. He needs a big label...im still for Dreamworks.

Also Jive Records maybe all pop, but that was the label for JJFP. I think they would still support and promote them.

Reason #1 bad boy is a bad Option. They put Good artists on the Shelf for People like Da band, and stuff.

He could get help from Jeff. Problem with that. Smaller Company=Less Money=Smaller Promotion.

Rumor has it, he's been eyeing Dreamworks. Time will tell. He jsut better get one by the end of this year. I can't wait for the new album!!! :afro:

Bad Boy would be awful. Puffy dose reserves the right 2 alter your image and trains u how 2 be something u are not. The second and artist dosen't want 2 be that Puffy wants 2 be, they leave. Think about it...Craig Mack helped put the label out. Once Bad Boy got all popular and flashy, he no longer wanted 2 be on the label. He left the label and dropped another album with another company. Craig Mack is the best emcee Bad Boy EVER had. Of course in 2002 he started working with them again but that's becuz the glam and glitz of Bad Boy had died down. I think he has since stopped working with them. Mase got so sick of the glam, glitz, and nastyness of the music industry that he dropped everything 2 follow his faith. 112 got sick of Bad Boy and later signed with Def Jam while still being signed 2 Bad Boy (don't ask me how that worked out). I just seems that every artist who really wants 2 be an artist on their own terms ends up leaving or having problems with the label.

Carl Thomas and Faith are the only artists that i think have total control over their music and image. Tho' in the early days, even Faith definitly waz being groomed and styled by Puffy's crew.

Will would NEVER work on Bad Boy, they stand 4 2 many things that he dosen't stand 4. Notice that establish artists never sign 2 Bad Boy. That's becuz they already have images that Puffy can't mess with. New Edition is the only established act 2 go 2 the label after already having a history. That album waz supposed 2 come out 2 years ago and still hasn't. New Edition had crazy problems with their past company (hence the lack of studio albums as adults and all the complitaions that've put out).

Will needs a company where he can be himself and do what his dose best rather than having labels who wanna control his image and how he is promoted.

He should join the underground label Koch Records 'cause that's the label KRS-ONE and Public Enemy are on. That would be a perfect fit for Will. Either that or Def Jam which remains loyal to their artists 'cause LL and Slick Rick are still on the label after almost 20 years! I heard on MTV say that Slick Rick is now working a new album since he was freed from prison. He and Will are good friends so Slick Rick could help bring Will to Def Jam. Edited by bigted

[quote=bigted,Apr 13 2004, 07:44 PM]He should join the underground label Koch Records 'cause that's the label KRS-ONE and Public Enemy are on. That would be a perfect fit for Will. Either that or Def Jam which remains loyal to their artists 'cause LL and Slick Rick are still on the label after almost 20 years! I heard on MTV say that Slick Rick is now working a new album since he was freed from prison. He and Will are good friends so Slick Rick could help bring Will to Def Jam.[/quote]
I don't think Koch is a good idea simply cuz Public Enemy and KRS-One havn't been heard of in a long time. Koch can't put out millions of albums easily and even if they could, they don't have the resources 2 properly promote an album.

Def Jam MIGHT be a good idea, however when L.L. Cool J droped 10, he said that his contract waz never updated since he signed with them in 1985 and that he was very UNDER PAID for most of his career. Since he did it 4 the love of music, he didn't try 2 get a new contract with them. Most artists who have been around for awhile or who are very successful would have requested 2 re-work their contract. Of course Will is an established name so i don't think they would try 2 give Will a jacked up contract.

Whatever he signs with, it needs 2 be big enuff 2 hold Will as an artist.

[quote=willreign,Apr 16 2004, 04:33 AM]go on his own... and open new record label or just publish himself... it can b great...[/quote]
:werd: Most record labels are weak so Will would be better off promoting the album himself on Overbrook than joing another label. And to Jumping Jack AJ, I remember that Public Enemy released their last CD the same time "Born 2 Reign", but they didn't sell much records but at least they're still out there. Even KRS-ONE's still out there man, he released his last CD last summer and is probably working on anotha one by now. It's all about stayin' in the game, not sellin' records. Will has enough awards and platinum plaques already, he should just keep on rappin' like Rickey Henderson kept on playing baseball for 25 years, even though he broke the stolen base record 12 years ago,Will won the 1st rap grammy 16 years ago, what more does he have to prove?

[quote=bigted,Apr 16 2004, 03:37 PM]Most record labels are weak so Will would be better off promoting the album himself on Overbrook than joing another label... It's all about stayin' in the game, not sellin' records. Will has enough awards and platinum plaques already, he should just keep on rappin' like Rickey Henderson kept on playing baseball for 25 years, even though he broke the stolen base record 12 years ago,Will won the 1st rap grammy 16 years ago, what more does he have to prove?[/quote]
That's what I'm talking about. Will does not need some big label to put out music. The reason you see KRS-One, Public Enemy and other rappers doing CDs on indie labels is that they want control of their music. What you have now is some "suit" telling artists what's "hot". It's not about what's in your heart & soul with music today. It's all about what's "hot".

I was watching Making The Band 2 on MTV last night and all they were talking about is making "hot" tracks with tight hooks. Unfortunately, that's what sells in music today. As long as you have a hot beat and tight hook then you got a "hot" track. I'm tired of "hot" tracks. I want tracks that moves your mind and heart. All of this rap that's out now is straight garbage.

Will should follow his heart and go independent. Sure he probably won't be on TRL and be "hot" but he doesn't have anything to prove to anyone. Leave the garbage to 50 Cent and all these other cats and just give me the real hip-hop.

I don't think going independent is what Will needs. Will isn't an underground kinda artist. Why he dose need 2 do what he wants 2 do, he needs 2 be promoted and put out there. Will isn't the kinda artist 2 be dropping albums for only a few thousand people. If Will isn't selling well, he just may hang up the mic...and i'd go out and buy a million albums myself if that's what it takes 2 keep him going.

With this album, Will is doing what he wants. He's a free agent right now and his Overbrook team is putting the album 2gether. After his experience, i'm sure he'll sign with a label where he gets both creative control AND decent promotion.

My main point is that Will isn't in the same place as P.E. and KRS-One. They are all legends and pioneers in Hip-Hop...but Will simply wouldn't work that way by dropping albums with no videos, single, or airplay.

• Members
J records would be good. I really don't have a clue what you guys are talking about in the other forums. I'm not updated in the latest Will news. anyone like to tell me what's up??? :angel:

[quote=JumpinJack AJ,Apr 16 2004, 01:01 PM]My main point is that Will isn't in the same place as P.E. and KRS-One. They are all legends and pioneers in Hip-Hop...but Will simply wouldn't work that way by dropping albums with no videos, single, or airplay.[/quote]
Sure Will sold more records than P.E. and KRS-ONE has over their careers, but that doesn't make him less of a hip-hop legend than they are! What r u sayin' man, Will ain't no sell-out, he makes music for people that like ol' school hip-hop and I didn't hear Will complain when he record sales went low. You gotta face it man, Will's too mature for TRL, what do want him to do, make a commercial song wit those wack artists Chingy and Britney Spears, or even that dumb chick Jessica Simpson just to sell records? Hell no I ain't hearing that man! :cussing: He's not as conscious as KRS-ONE but he's still a legend though! We shouldn't just base his career on record sales, we should base it on makin' people feel good wit his talented lyrics and he wouldn't give a damn how many like it, as long as somebody likes it, he'll keep doing it!

I feel what AJ's saying...I know what u mean tho' ted, cuz it doesn't sound right, but whether we like it or not, Will's whole career is revolved around commercial success and big money vidz, singles, etc...it'd be really weird if he went all underground all of a sudden and did these albums with low budget labels and not much recognition. I don't think he'll be happy with anything but his album being well known. He never seemed 2 have been before... I wouldn't doubt Will if he DID do somethin' like that...but judging from his past, it just seems unlikely.