JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Need More Respect Than Given

mfuqua23

Who do U think in the music industry deserves more credit than they've been given? 4 anything they've done, their style, whatever.

LL Cool J - he's well on his way 2 bein Hall of Fame material. not only does he have duration, but quality. He hasn't had an album that'z be a "flop".

Treach (of Naughty by Nature) - he is just lyrically amazing. Just kickin it 4 fun. I love his deliever. It'z somthing different.

I was just curious 2 see what everyone's views is on some artists.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:werd: I agree with you about Treach, he gets overlooked a lot, Vinnie holds his own too in Naughty By Nature, they need to be put up there with Run-DMC and Public Enemy as the best groups in hip-hop history, they rep 'Jersey well! I think KRS-ONE doesn't get enough credit for all he's done for hip-hop by the music industry, he's dropped 13 albums in 17 years in the game, including 4 in the last 4 years so he ain't slowin' down, on top of that he does ministry as the head of The Temple Of Hip-Hop which teaches the hip-hop nation about God, and he writes books too like H.E.A.L. and many countless others about this, but the mainstream doesn't pay attention to him though, if they did the game would be a lot stronger now, he's a legendary m.c., but he's even more intelligent as a person, when he finally retires many years from now, he'll go out as the greatest of all time, he'll get his due, even if it's after his death, people'll recognize how legendary he has been! :bowdown:

I think LL has been given respect and still continues 2 get respect. I think just the fact that none of his albums have flopped is proof that he's well respected, but if we were sayin that, I would say Will should get more respect. They definitely HAVE 2 collabo soon, if either of them ever decide it's time 2 hang up the mic, they need 2 get together 4 their last albums and just do their thing together. I'm sure they'll soon realize just how much their fans want that 2 happen, I really do think they'll collabo sooner or later!

I think that MC Lyte is underrated as an mc, she's the female version of KRS-ONE, she's been nothing but positive to the game since she came out in '87 and she's still rapping too, she got an aggressive flow, she could take out Lil' Kim and Foxy Brown and even a lot of guys too, she's one of the best mcs of all time, male or female! :touche:
Talib Kweli is hip-hop's version of Stephon Marbury(they're both from Brooklyn too in case you didn't know), he has a lot of talent and has been quietly consistant for over the past 6 years dating back to when he was with Mos Def as the duo "Blackstarr" and that album with Hi-Tek "Reflection Eternal" is one of the best hip-hop albums I ever heard, it was straight hardcore spitting, "Quality" was great too but "Reflection Eternal" had more lyricism, but anything that he spits is better than the rest of the game, he's one his way to being one of the all time greats.
People also sleep on Wyclef Jean, he's such a unique hip-hop artist, he's a great lyricist, but he's also a rapper that can actually sing well, and he drops that Carribean dance hall flavor in his music, he hasn't gone platinum since he released "The Carnival", but he always drops originality whenever he releases his albums, he showed how aggressive of an mc he is on "The Masquerade" and he showed how great of a singer he is on "The Preacher's Son". I think that he's the best hip-hop artist that was in The Fugees and that says something considering how great they were.

Will and LL have to do a song together and have it produces by Jeff - and it could be the greatest song of all time

• Members
i agree on lyte and wyclef. both slept on very heavily and neither get the due they deserve for the innovations they have brought to the music. lyte was recently on def poetry and she killed it!!! so did wyclef on chapelles show, "if i were president, i'd get elected on friday, assasinated on saturday, buried on sunday". I think the most slept on is Freestyle Fellowship, they have created so much style and added so much lyrically to music it's amazing, i doubt they will ever see the credit they deserve at least not in this lifetime-trex

• 2 weeks later...
Hey you know what rapper seems to be slept on since his death, Big Pun! This guy helped put puerto rican hip-hop on the map, he came in the game with an original style, I don't how I could mention Wyclef and forget to mention Big Pun! :dunno: He would rap with so much and emotion and had such great lyricism, I swear if he were still livin' he would eat rappers like 50 Cent, Eminem, and Jay-Z alive, I only have the "Endangered Species" album with his greatest hits but I love it so much, I'm definately gonna get his other two albums, I remember when "Still Not A Player" came out in '98, that was refreshing to see a new style in hip-hop, he should of won a Grammy award for that song. You could tell that Fat Joe and Norega don't rap the same anymore as they did when Big Pun was living 'cause he would motivate them to improve their game, it's like a piece of them died when he did. I loved that song "John Blaze" that he did on Fat Joe's album that featured him and Nas on it, one of the best tracks of all time! R.I.P. Pun, Hip-Hop has suffered after your death and you deserve more props for what you've done for the game than what you get! :bowdown: I hope that VH1 mentions something about Big Pun when they do the special on hip-hop next week 'cause he deserves it.

• Members
The Roots.....ok they get their critical respect and such, but it still has yet to translate into mass record sales.

The Pharcyde......dropped two amazing albums that ranks among the best in any genre of music.

Public Enemy.....no disrespect to KRS 1 but it seems like conscious/politcal cats today give him too much credit and ignore PE. When I was going up it was all about PE....KRS 1 was kind of on the fringe. KRS 1 is a dope emcee and philosopher but PE was bringing the noise.

Those are all great groups Pauleywood! :clap: Why can't both KRS-ONE and Public Enemy get recognition? :dunno: All legends deserve to shine and the fake mcs should be the ones on the bottom of the pile as far as mainstream's concern. btw,PE went multiplatinum back in the day but KRS never did, KRS deserves to go multiplatinum and win a Grammy Award for all the great work he's done, PE deserves it too though. The Roots won a Grammy a few years ago, Pharacyde has been overlooked, where are they now though?

• Admin
[quote=pauleywood,Sep 30 2004, 08:26 PM]The Pharcyde......dropped two amazing albums that ranks among the best in any genre of music.[/quote]
yo guys..im a huge pharcyde fan!! actually i was into the pharcyde b4 i even got into hiero.. the pharcyde story is a long painful one... i'll try to break it down as quickly as possible.. they were on a label "delicious vinyl" which was extremely messed up!!! and had huge problems... basically after their 2nd album delicious vinyl couldnt release any material that they made.. the first big blow came when fat lip was kicked out of the group..and he was the best emcee..this was prob in 96... and then it got worse..slim kid tre left the group (my fav emcee) they put out an ep of 5 traxs themselves in abt 99 which still had tre on it.. and then they released an album called plain rap still had tre on it.. slim kid tre finally released a solo album a couple of years ago.. fat lip has supposed to be releasing a solo album on delicious vinyl for about 6 years now..but the label is so messed up who knows if it will ever be released.. he did release a single though "whats up fatlip" which is an awesome track.. pharcyde (now just imani and bootie brown) released a new album called humboldt beginnings just a few months ago..and i gotta say it was really disappointing... pharcyde really need to get back together! they are not the same without each other and need to squash all beef..doesnt look like its gonna happen... another album which has supposed to be comin out for over 5 years now is "almyghty myghty pythons" which is a super group of the pharcyde and souls of mischief(2 of my fav groups right there) they released a single in 2001, but have not put out the album..its taken so long cause s.o.m. are in oakland pharcyde in la, and they can never get together with their schedules..theyve recorded enough traxs to put out an album, but they wanna make sure its really tight.. i got my fingers crossed that this will someday be released...

so thats the pharcyde! 2 hip hop classics! but now a shell of their former self...

TLC - Man, these girls accomplished so much for Hip-Hop, R-N-B, and females in general. They tackled struggle after struggle and still came out on top. However, after the loss of Left Eye, millions of fans turned their back on them. Their album 3D only sold just over a million copies. That's messed up. Another case of sell-out fans and self-centered record labels.

Q-Tip - After being the main attraction to A Tribe Called Quest, then dropping 2 huge solo singles and one of the better albums of the late 90's...his label wouldn't support his 2nd solo album becuz it waz heavily jazzed up and not 2 much like his 1st.

Craig Mack - one of the better emcees 2 rise 2 fame in the 90's. However, it seemed like the flashy, jiggy, less talented rappers kept their fame while he kinda faded away.

Bell Biv DeVoe - They started a revolution of mixing Hip-Hop with R-N-B (rapping over R-N-B beats, and singing over Hip-Hop beats, and so on). These days it's a common thing, but these guys really put it on the map (and did it the right way). When they came back in 2001, i waz mad 2 see them ignored.