JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

50 Cent To Executive Produce LL Cool J's Next Album

bigted

After this heartbreaking newz about the death of Hip-Hop...(okay, maybe i'm being a bit over dramatic), i picked up the current issue of Ebony with LL on the front in hopes of having my worries erased. The article waz done b4 this news tho.' In the article, when it comes 2 music, Cool J says that Hip-Hop is different these days, but not any better or worse than back in the day. I agree with that statement overall, but he's speaking commerically, i can't agree. He talks about making music 4 the love of it and hearing his records on the radio...and NOT 4 the fame and fortune. He also talked about Todd Smith. Saying that how he looks at the album as a very positive and personal kinda record (i agree) and how his collabos represent his ability 2 work with people from all over the industry. He says that he sees fans listening 2 the album a year or 2 from now and still picking new things up from the album and liking it even more down the road.

Back on topic tho'...i still can't understand why he would work with 50 Cent. It's honestly a nightmare 2 me. I'm guessing he's not happy with what Jay-Z has done with Def Jam and wants 2 take his career 2 a label that makes him feel at home. That would explain why he's working with someone who has a proven ability 2 not be anywhere near his own level, and is releasing a "Part 2" album...and not a real album. Who knows tho'...50's input could be very limited and this album could turn out dope. We'll find out kinda soon. Since the newz has had a few days 2 sink in, i must say that i'm extreem disappointment is matched by my extreem excitement 4 a new album.

I swear, if I see 50 and LL in a music video together with their shirts off, hollarin' at women, LL's dead to me from then on... :chuks:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not at all excited about it, I'm actually happy that Will's doing all of these movies right now instead of trying to work with all these pop rap sellouts and ruin his legacy, the way things are looking right now there's probably a better chance that Will does something again with Jazzy then there is a chance of LL doing something with Marley again, LL doesn't seem to remember his ol' school roots, 50 and G-Unit'sprobably be trying to get LL involved in the lil' rap beefs that they're

in now and it'll be the equilvalent of Jordan losing with the Wizards at the end of his career, he's going with the losing team

Edited by bigted

I'm not at all excited about it, I'm actually happy that Will's doing all of these movies right now instead of trying to work with all these pop rap sellouts and ruin his legacy, the way things are looking right now there's probably a better chance that Will does something again with Jazzy then there is a chance of LL doing something with Marley again, LL doesn't seem to remember his ol' school roots, 50 and G-Unit'sprobably be trying to get LL involved in the lil' rap beefs that they're

in now and it'll be the equilvalent of Jordan losing with the Wizards at the end of his career, he's going with the losing team

I realize we're probably frustrated but I think that's going a bit far. Especially since LL knew every word rapped by artists before and with him at the Hip Hop Honors. I think LL is so use to commercial success, he doesn't know anything else. DMX kept his success and stayed who he was, and he was on Def Jam. Like it's been said, what's left for LL to prove? And who's he gonna battle? It's something about the surrounding forces of what's selling. Just as sure as I'd like to be to say, LL is not going G-Unit in any way, shape, or form. There's only one person that knows why LL is doing what he's doing, and that's LL.

And speaking of Will, what if Will were to do something similar with T.I. that LL is doing with 50?

• Members

Now to me personally, this just pisses me off. Because im an LL fan. But i personally HATE 50, and dont at all understand why LL works with whoever's hot, instead of doing it alone. :shrug: Hes an amazing lyracist and a great rapper, but 50, he kinda sucks, wheres the flow? he doesnt rap about anything important, just stupid stuff. Now im kinda pissed, and kinda confused. :sick:

Never retire or put my mic on the shelf,

The baddest rapper in the history of rap itself,

Not bitter or mad just provin Im bad,

You want a hit give me a hour plus a pen and a pad.

^^ i want that Cool J back...

Working with 50 doesn't mean sales necessarily, ask Mobb Deep about that, they thought they'd go diamond and get all the white girls to buy their music but they didn't even go gold, lol... LL didn't really collab with anybody on his first 5 albums, which actually many consider to be most of his best work btw, he did do a few guest appearances on other artists albums in between(Keith Sweat, EPMD, Craig Mack,etc.) but when he started working on "Mr. Smith" the Trackmasters suggested for him to have up and coming rappers on the remix to "I Shot Ya" like Foxy Brown, Prodigy, and Fat Joe, and he decided to have Boyz II Men do the vocals on "Hey Lover"... He realised how much fun it was to collab with other artists on his projects in compared to just working with himself so he's decided to basically collab with a lot of artists on them after that, he did say in quite a few interviews in recent years that he considers 50 Cent one of the best rappers out and he enjoys his work so I guess he wants to work with him, at this point in his career he's like Michael Jordan 'cause there's nothing left to prove, even it this album with 50 Cent ain't groundbreaking it won't hurt him anyway 'cause Jordan playing with the Wizards doesn't stop people from calling him the G.O.A.T. baller..

I guess working with the younger rappers keeps his competitive fire going so it's all good, we just gotta wait and see what happens, I mean who would've thought that Ludacris would be involved on one of the great tracks on Will's "L&F"album in "Party Starter", I mean for those of us to yell out sell out just 'cause LL's working with 50 Cent need to think about some of the pop acts that Will's worked with on his solo albums and ask why is it ok for Will to do it but you bash LL for it?(Lil' Kim, Ludacris, Snoop, the girl from the PussyCat Dolls) this collab with 50 might actually be good 'cause working with LL should motivate 50 to step up and do something better.. Now I personally don't like 50 Cent so I'm not that excited about hearing them collab but of course whenever LL does something I check for it, I'll be more hyped for it when it comes, I hope LL takes his time and just doesn't rush it out right away after releasing "Todd Smith" a few months ago, he should promote it a lil' bit more before rushing off to another one since he's touring for that right now too in the US according to his site... I'd probably prefer Will to do movies for a few more years than to jump in and do an album with TI hypothetically speaking, he really should take his time as well but it's his decision on what he wants to do and as fan I'll be checking out what he's gonna do...Now speaking of DMX, I think LL would have better chemistry working with him on an album 'cause the 2 songs they recorded together "4,3,2,1" and "Fughidaboughtit" were amazing, forming a supergroup with Redman and Method Man who were also on those tracks would be something that'd raise the bar in hip-hop, they could come up with some aggressive stuff together...

Edited by bigted

Who knows what will happen, I'm still gonna listen to the new album, hopefully its good, I'm looking forward, I'm not getting too worked up about him working with 50...

• 4 months later...

Wow that's awesome that there's gonna be a collab with Kool G Rap with DJ Premiere producing, maybe the album won't be so bad after all, it better not be if it's coming around my birthday in March, lol

Yeah Jay-Z also executive produced "Todd Smith" and it turned out to be better than Jay-Z' "Kingdom Come" it seems, lol, I think we might be overreacting a lil' bit, 50 executive produced Game's "Documentary" which turned out to better than everything else on G-Unit since 2003 so it probably won't be that bad, LL's plan probably was to do a commercial album in "Todd Smith" and have a lot of r&b singers on it and then take it to the streets with "Todd Smith 2: Return To Cool", maybe there might be a lot of dope mc ciphers on this album

If LL was doing an album with 50 Cent in 2002/2003 it'd probably be more understandable to see that he'd be able to bring back New York 'cause 50 was highly respected but now I don't think that's the case, 50's career is on downward spiral and yes Mobb Deep lost a lot of respect since they signed to G-Unit unfortunately, even if LL drops a classic album I think just working with 50 is gonna have less people check for him, people have really given up on 50 at this point, but honestly all I care about is if LL drops a good album, I don't care who he's working with, as long as it's quality music I support it, as long as he don't start making crap music I'm supporting like I said earlier, that collab with Kool G Rap/DJ Premiere is a step in the right direction for where the album needs to be, maybe we won't get Fresh Prince on there since he's too busy for movies but maybe we could hear LL rapping over a Jazzy Jeff beat on the album, that'd be exciting

Edited by bigted

I agree, as long as it is a good album, I don't really care about who he is working with, I am looking forward to the album.

Confirmed Tracks

"Bump This" (featuring 50 Cent, Young Hot Rod & Lloyd Banks)

"A Place Called New York" (featuring Kool G Rap) (Produced by DJ Premier)

That track sounds hot!!

Dope! I can't wait to hear that track. DJ Premier is one of the best in the game and since its New York flavor, and DJ Premier doing it, its prolly gotta be like Rakim's "When I Be On Tha Mic" ...I can't wait!

Okay, if there's any truth 2 that, it looks like the whole G-Unit involvement isn't gonna be that serious. After all, Puffy waz the exec. producer 2 Cassie's album...but Puffy and the Bad Boy in house producers have NOTHING 2 do with the album. None of those wack Bad Boy artists appeared on the album either. If this album is really happening, it isn't gonna be as bad as some of us thought.