JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

I wish one of Will's good songs was a hit single...

Hero1

• Admin

Summertime got up.. but I'm Looking for the one wasn't a hit? :damnyou: such an awesome song.. Jazzy's groove wasn't a hit.. I wanna Rock wasn't a hit.. Party Starter wasn't a hit.. So Fresh wasn't a hit.. I mean we complain that Will's worst songs get released as singles but when they release his best songs they are never a success.. its got me scratchin my head :hmm: When I heard I'm Looking for the One and Party Starter on the albums.. I was sure they'd be hits :shrug:

Im Looking For The One got the sound of a 1998 song more than a 1993 track... it was released too early... Party Starter is not at the same level as the other tracks you mentioned, but Party Starter could have been a success with an earlier release, I think... So Fresh, I Wanna Rock and Jazzy's Groove were probably a little too much hiphop.

To continue the list, I dont think Brand New Funk was a hit right? Well, I guess they promoted Parents Just Dont Understand too much back then...

It shows how screwed up the commercial music industry is, they only like stuff simple, any complex rhymes or deep thought within the song, and you can forget about it being a it. I mean, how do you think 50 Cent got so popular?

Yeah "Just The Two Of Us" did very well, it's one of his deepest songs and it won a Grammy, you can't win them all, these type of songs do well once in a lifetime for most artists, who knows though I have small optimism that "Tell Me Why" might have the same success but I ain't holding my breath. Since you brought up "Summertime", JJFP had many good songs be hits, "Parents Just Don't Understand" is a classic storytellin' track that won the 1st rap grammy and the worst song JJFP released as a single is "Boom! Shake The Room" and that's dope too, I don't how he could say that it was his worst song he released after he released "Freakin' It", lol. I think it's the songs he's released as singles in these Big Will days that don't represent his best skills but ironically his solo albums outsold all the JJFP ones.

Edited by bigted

If talent sold "Code Red", "Willenium", "Lost and Found", and "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" would be at the 10 million mark in sales right now with "Big Willie Style" and Will'd be ranked the greatest rapper ever by the media like he should be, it's disgusting that "Code Red"'s his lowest selling album. :shakehead:

If talent sold "Code Red", "Willenium", "Lost and Found", and "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" would be at the 10 million mark in sales right now with "Big Willie Style" and Will'd be ranked the greatest rapper ever by the media like he should be, it's disgusting that "Code Red"'s his lowest selling album. :shakehead:

Really? Code Red has sold worst than Born to Reign? Man. that's crazy!

Really? Code Red has sold worst than Born to Reign? Man. that's crazy!

Actually, Code Red is the second lowest selling album:

Will Smith's Greatest Selling Albums

US Soundscan Numbers

Big Willie Style - 9, 000, 000

He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper - 3, 000, 000

Willennium - 2, 100, 000

Homebase - 2, 000, 000

And in this Corner - 900, 000

Lost and Found - 604, 437

Rock The House - 600, 000

Code Red - 316, 000

Born To Reign - 237, 000