JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Ghostwriter?

jj+fp2004

"Ghostwriting" is where u have people write songs for you and make it look like your own and talking all the credit. With the solo albums, FP did have some co-writers on a few trax...but not ghostwriters. Check the credits, u'll see the trax that Nas co-wrote on Big Willie Style, the trax Common Sense co-wrote Willennium, and the trax Kel Spencer co-wrote for Willennium and Born To Reign. I personally don't like the idea of people co-writing some of his songs, but with the JJ+FP albums and the other trax on his solo albums, it's easy 2 see FP has the skillz. He works with peers and people he's close 2. It's not like he's saying "hey dog, co-write this song with me, i need help." When u have friends who do the same thing u do, it's fun 2 create stuff 2gether. When i used 2 write alot, there were times when me and my cousin would write songs 2gether. It waz fun, not cuz i or he couldn't do it on our own. Now i do alot of acting. When i thinkin' about how i'm going 2 do a scene, if i'm doing it with close friends, we work 2gether and let our chemistry take it 2 that next level. That's what makes me not look at FP co-writing with other people as a taboo. He has talked about it in interviews and credits the people who work with him, he's not trying 2 cover it up or anything.

Besides, look at the people he desided 2 work with....THEY HAVE SKILLZ. Now if he waz working with The Game or Lil' Jon, then i'd be worried. It's becuz of people like Fresh Prince, that talented up-comers like Kel Spencer are getting paid. Kel's solo career hasn't sparked yet and his album never came out...but since he did some work on "Switch," he'll be getting some money outta it's success. It also got his 3rd Power Music Group some attention.

I think that the whole Lost + Found era has FP coming full circle tho.' Kel Spencer is probably the only real lyrical sidekick.

If that's all it is, I agree w/ you, I don't like it a whole lot, but I understand what he's doing & it's not a huge deal... but Skillz's lyrics seem to imply a whole lot more... I dunno, but def interesting...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

yeah it really annoys me kel spencer "co-wrote switch" and kel and his 2 brothers co wrote "black suits comin" i mean how do you need help to write those tracks?? :nhawong: :nhawong: but anyway i heard skillz did sum work with Will for Lost & Found too.. as far as the ghostwritin i dont like it and id prefer will doesnt but in the scheme of things it doesnt matter that much..

Am i the only one getting excited about will & common? Damn that could have been a dope collabo!

Am i the only one getting excited about will & common? Damn that could have been a dope collabo!

:werd: I think Common helped co-write "The Rain", that'd been even more incredible if Common spit a verse on there, even songs on his albums are co-written, FP ain't the only one doing that, 2Pac's songs were co-written, Rakim's songs are co-written, Talib Kweli's rhymes are co-written, basically every dope mc in hip-hop history has had cats co-write with them, if peeps diss FP for that, they might as well diss every mc in the game 'cause everybody does it or did it before. Out of curiousity does FP co-write for anybody? And on "Switch" being co-written, Kel Spencer probably just helped FP with the hook, a lot of ol' school mcs have problems writing hooks 'cause back in the golden age of hip-hop, songs didn't have hooks, I remember hearing Kool G Rap say that on a Hot 97 Interview a couple years ago, he said that the difference between hip-hop in the '80s and hip-hop now is that there's hooks now, he said that he needs help in writing hooks now 'cause he never did that when he started.

Hmm, i didn't know that other ppl also co wrote stuff on Willenium, B2R and even Lost & Found... Yo thats really wack! on all solo records are co writer. what the hell does Will need so much co writers? he can write his own stuff, Just look at songs like Caught In the middle.

Man, i always thought that Will wrote The Rain on his own :sad6: :sad6:

That really suxx cause i always loved the rain, his flow and the topic its about :sad6:

i don't have anything against co writing but not on all albums! thats just too much. :werd:

JJFP (and Wills co writers) Rocks The House... :bang:

i dont think its as bad as its made out. When u see the long list of names given credit for songs it doesnt just mean the rhymes. Its like bsc had a whole orchestra playing, some1 had to write that bcoz Will cant write orchestral scores.

Plus even if some1 said change the word "as" to "just" they would have to be given credit for it. I dont like the way Will co-writes but im sure its not like huge chunks that gets written for him.

I'm listening more to his old records back with JJ...

Pure FP lyrics with a nice flow.

I'm really angry about all this co wrote stuff :bang: :bang:

Its a really big shame that ppl like skillz are talking about such stuff in their songs and afterwards everybody is laughing at Will :werd:

btw, even Nelly isn't getting help by ghost writer

Thats a big shock for me... i didn't know that so many ppl has been co writing something for the "lyrical picasso"

Edited by DefCEM

so what, puffy can write his own rhymes, but if he choses to get a bit of help from skillz its aight, and will is the same will probably wrote it and asked him for advice and he probably said his view on the lyric...each help eachother out

Uh ok, then it isn't terrible or whateva... That's pretty normal... :sonny:

I don't get why everybody's cryin' over it for, it's the music buisiness, every mc has songs co-written, even 2Pac, Rakim, and KRS-ONE, the greatest lyrical geniouses of them all, u could buy any hip-hop album and see how there's more names than one writing the songs, don't trip over it. They do the same thing in r&b, Boyz II Men's biggest hits were co-written with Babyface and Keith Sweat's biggest hits were co-written with Teddy Riley, this is normal occurance. Well Nelly's gonna be sued soon if his name's the only one on the credit. :lolsign: As long as the music is good I could care less, I mean I wouldn't mind if somebody tried helping me proofread the rhymes when I record my songs if it could make them better.

Edited by bigted

okay guys ghostwriters are NEVER credited. If you are credited you are not a ghostwriter. People were saying Jay Z wrote "Still D.R.E" for Dr Dre and he wasn't credited or something. If that's true, that would be callled ghostwriting. You guys are getting the definition mixed up. Co-writers whose names are on the book are NOT ghostwriters. Got that? Good.

Now tons of rappers get help with writing. Even the greats, Pac Biggie all got a little help here and there. Whether it's hooks or whatever. Will could've just gotten an idea for the Switch hook. Even if it's just an idea, the person who gave the idea needs to be credited or they might come back and sue u for taking their idea or something.

okay guys ghostwriters are NEVER credited.  If you are credited you are not a ghostwriter.  People were saying Jay Z wrote "Still D.R.E" for Dr Dre and he wasn't credited or something.  If that's true, that would be callled ghostwriting.  You guys are getting the definition mixed up.  Co-writers whose names are on the book are NOT ghostwriters.  Got that?  Good.

Now tons of rappers get help with writing.  Even the greats, Pac Biggie all got a little help here and there.  Whether it's hooks or whatever.  Will could've just gotten an idea for the Switch hook.  Even if it's just an idea, the person who gave the idea needs to be credited or they might come back and sue u for taking their idea or something.

Yeah, the distinction between credited co-writing and all-out ghostwriting, as Skillz alleges, needs to be made. Entirely different things - one I don't have a big problem with, the other is pretty much unacceptable. Oh well! Hopefully Will only did the credited stuff... in any case, whatever people(s)/entity write/wrote Will's rhymes: I'm a fan! :cya:

Edited by scyhigh99