JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Ghostwriter?

jj+fp2004

HHDX News Bits (Friday)

Friday - March 14, 2003

J-23

or Ima put this out with the names in it. I still remember when I first heard Skillz (then Mad) Ghostwriter. As Skillz named all the people he wrote rhymes for, the names were all dubbed out...until now. Hiphopsite reports that Skillz recently shed some light as to who he was referring to in Ghostwriter. Shockingly, it is some of the dopest lyricists to ever touch a mic, Puffy, Will Smith, Shaq, Jermaine Dupri and Mase!!! Those guys dont write their own rhymes? I dont believe it...

the source

you guys maybe heared about this but i didn't so please tell me it's not true..... because i'm sure it's not true....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what, puffy can write his own rhymes, but if he choses to get a bit of help from skillz its aight, and will is the same will probably wrote it and asked him for advice and he probably said his view on the lyric...each help eachother out

Don't say y'all didn't know will has ghostwriters?

Nas, Jay-z & Skills are the most known that I0 know of.

But it doesn't mean that he doesn't write all of his rhymes. It's mosttly the club and dance songs like gettin jiggy with it

Yeah, I had heard tons of times that Puff Diddy doesn't write his own stuff, but I honestly had no idea that Will used ghost writers, although you guys seem to understand this as common knowledge. Don't you have to lose a little credibility there? We're not talking about a collaboration or proofreading or sumthin, Joe, we're talkin about Skillz writing whole songs - or that's what his "ghostwriter" song seems to imply. I dunno, just seems pretty cheap artistically... do we know what songs he got "help" with?

Edited by scyhigh99

No no1 wrote whole songs.N as helped out with just cruisin and gettin jiggy wit it. Common did some work on willennium. Skillz did sum stuff for big willie style. What happens is these people are involved in the writing process with Will and just help with the phrasing and stuff

I already knew that P.Diddy doesn't write his own rhymes but his flow's awful too, even KRS-ONE, Nas, and LL have cats write the songs with them, look at the credits for some of their songs too, they have more than one name on their songs, so what's the big deal about it then? :dunno: Of course Will has to write his songs though, his names on the credits, back in the day when JJFP started, there was no such thing as ghostwriters, maybe that's why rhymes were less complex back then, just something to think about. :cya:

"Ghostwriting" is where u have people write songs for you and make it look like your own and talking all the credit. With the solo albums, FP did have some co-writers on a few trax...but not ghostwriters. Check the credits, u'll see the trax that Nas co-wrote on Big Willie Style, the trax Common Sense co-wrote Willennium, and the trax Kel Spencer co-wrote for Willennium and Born To Reign. I personally don't like the idea of people co-writing some of his songs, but with the JJ+FP albums and the other trax on his solo albums, it's easy 2 see FP has the skillz. He works with peers and people he's close 2. It's not like he's saying "hey dog, co-write this song with me, i need help." When u have friends who do the same thing u do, it's fun 2 create stuff 2gether. When i used 2 write alot, there were times when me and my cousin would write songs 2gether. It waz fun, not cuz i or he couldn't do it on our own. Now i do alot of acting. When i thinkin' about how i'm going 2 do a scene, if i'm doing it with close friends, we work 2gether and let our chemistry take it 2 that next level. That's what makes me not look at FP co-writing with other people as a taboo. He has talked about it in interviews and credits the people who work with him, he's not trying 2 cover it up or anything.

Besides, look at the people he desided 2 work with....THEY HAVE SKILLZ. Now if he waz working with The Game or Lil' Jon, then i'd be worried. It's becuz of people like Fresh Prince, that talented up-comers like Kel Spencer are getting paid. Kel's solo career hasn't sparked yet and his album never came out...but since he did some work on "Switch," he'll be getting some money outta it's success. It also got his 3rd Power Music Group some attention.

I think that the whole Lost + Found era has FP coming full circle tho.' Kel Spencer is probably the only real lyrical sidekick.