Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Men In Black III in Development

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

"Men in Black 3" Could Begin Filming in the Spring

Last September, producer Walter Parkes mentioned to Parade magazine that a third "Men in Black" film could potentially be on its way if pieces started falling into place. "The challenge is getting the script right and finding a time when our busy stars are available," he said. "But everyone, including Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones, wants to do another."

Then, during ShoWest, Sony Pictures Entertainment president Rory Bruer revealed that in addition to "Spider-Man 4" and "Ghostbusters 3," the studio is working on a new "Men in Black" film, which is in active development. No other information on the topic was unveiled.

Now comes news that Sony has hired Etan Cohen (Tropic Thunder) to write the script and has attached director Barry Sonnenfeld to "MIB 3." The goal is to get the cameras rolling as early as next Spring.

There is currently no deal with Sonnenfeld, who directed the first two films, or Will Smith. There is a good chance that the studio will bail on the film if Smith refuses to return, but word around town is that the actor is very interested in returning. Tommy Lee Jones' involvement is uncertain.

The first "Men in Black" was made for $90 million and went on to earn around $590 million in worldwide ticket sales. The sequel, which was released five years later, was made for $140 million and earned $442 million.

Source: THR

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=15616&count=0

Ths better happen...with all of the original people behind the 1st 2 movies. And they need to push for a stronger script than the 2nd one. I'm excited for this. Other than this and the next Bad Boys movie, I have little interest in FP's movies.

I'd like another Bad Boys first, but I'd take a Men in Black III. The first one is great and the second one isn't that bad. I do think they should get a new director then Barry Sonnenfeld. Will needs to make some choices, though. He can't do sequels to Men in Black, Bad Boys, Hancock, Independence Day, and a prequel to I am Legend. He doesn't want to become Eddie Murphy!

I'd like another Bad Boys first, but I'd take a Men in Black III. The first one is great and the second one isn't that bad. I do think they should get a new director then Barry Sonnenfeld. Will needs to make some choices, though. He can't do sequels to Men in Black, Bad Boys, Hancock, Independence Day, and a prequel to I am Legend. He doesn't want to become Eddie Murphy!

I like the idea of a new director. The last 2 movies with Sonnenfeld were whack (MIB2 and WWW). Bay could do it in MIB 3. BB3 is too expensive, Hancock was not that good, ID4 doesn't make sense and a prequel to I am Legend would be interesting.

I think Sonnenfeld would be a very important part to the look and feel of the movie. He has a one-of-a-kind vibe that would need to be a part of another MIB movie. That's like asking to franchise to be taken over have someone like Tim Burton did the 1st 2 movies...love him or hate him, the movie would be different with another director starting what was already established.

MIB is the movie I like least. I find it a bit boring and not really great or entertaining. Part 1 is still pretty good, part 2 is ok but only worth one watch because if u watch it more often it gets really boring, in my opinion.

So I really think that they shouldn't make another MIB movie, they should make Bad Boys 3 instead!

• 1 month later...

Josh Brolin answering the call for 'Men in Black 3'?

Recent L.A. Times addition Steven Zeitchik has another casting scoop for Hero Complex:

Josh Brolin could be going from "W." to K.

With "No Country for Old Men," "Milk," "W.," and, of course, "The Goonies" on his resume, Brolin's filmography speaks for itself. Now he may be adding "Men in Black 3" to that estimable list.

The actor is being considered for a role that would have him donning the black suit and shades for the third installment of the sci-fi comedy franchise. His exact part is a matter of discussion, but in recent days there's been chatter in Hollywood development circles of a few possibilities: He could play a new single-monikered government agent, with Tommy Lee Jones' Agent K passing the baton to Brolin's character. Or he could play Agent K as a young man. Or something else entirely.

Whatever the part, Brolin could be playing against some star power: Will Smith is expected to return in the new "MIB" as Agent J.

It wouldn't mark the first time J ran missions with someone else. In the second film, his character briefly chased aliens and erased memories with other partners before Jones' Agent K came out of retirement.

Sony is currently contemplating a production start for the picture in 2010 (though it has yet to be greenlit). The film, which is based on a script by "Tropic Thunder" writer Etan Cohen and which tentatively has Barry Sonnenfeld coming back to direct, could shoot at least partly in New York.

One issue that still needs to be worked out: scheduling. Brolin has lately given Nicolas Cage a run for his money as the hardest-working man in show business, starring in the comic-book western "Jonah Hex" and the sequel to Oliver Stone's "Wall Street." Both of those films have wrapped, but he's signed on for a few more meaty roles that could shoot in the first part of 2010, including the Coen brothers' remake of "True Grit" and the Mafia crime drama "Cartel."

-- Steven Zeitchik

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/12/here-comes-the-man-in-milk--josh-brolin-the-former---is-in-talks-to-play-a-prominent-role-i-men-inblack-3-the-third-instal.html