JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Should FP goto Rapster Records?

Should FP goto Rapster Records?   

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should FP goto Rapster Records?

• Yes
    • No

I was listening to TROTM and I was just thinking, wouldn't it be cool if FP just went to Rapster Records? He along with Jeff could easily build that label up and FP would have full control and freedom of his music. Interscope proved to be a flop for FP as they were just as bad as Columbia in destroying his rap career.

What do you think?

I don't think it would do him any better. As long as he keeps with the movie schedules (Which there is noting wrong with), he'll never have that time to be able to promote an album on his own...

Yea maybe Interscope did kind of drop the ball in promotion, but he needs to be available too...

It's gotta be pretty hard for him to keep up with all the scheduling, and movie shoots, and going to an underground label, where he might have to be a little more independent with the promotion might be even harder...

I can't imagine FP on a indie label...that would be like LL going to Koch....Will is too big for an indie label...I'll think we didn't have to talk about Will going to another label with the age of 37/38 cause in that age you don't get the big deals. It's just that he suffered from the label choice (sony/columbia) from a musical point of view! Cause like Jeff said...Will could dictate the contract cause he blew up in hollywood with id4 and men in black and maybe they just wanted him as an actor and that for didn't support his music to the fullest! Nonetheless even on Columbia Will sold 20 million records with a "lack of promotion" so you can't blame just them ... Will have to take responsebility, too! Same thing with Interscope, but much more quality of the album!

What i'm gonna say is kinda an extention of what Jin is saying. FP is too big for indie. I think that if he is truely sick of the commerical side of things and the constant fight he has 2 put up as a pioneer who refuses 2 cuss in his rhymes but wants 2 get his "fix" on every few years for the true heads, he should consider going indie. No politics, no A&R's, just him doing what he wants the way he wants. At the same time, he's a big artist and 2 keep things big, BIG lables are the way 2 go. On top of that, with his focus regularly going 2 films, being on a big lable lets them do alot of work 4 him that he can't commit 2. The problem is that, he's gotta find a lable that he can trust and will do their part.

I think it depends on what he wants. If he wants 2 stay strong on the commerical side of things, he needs a trustworthy big lable. If he wants freedom and isn't worried about being Top 10 so much, indie is the way 2 go.

FP's been destroying his own rap career by not taking 2 weeks out of his schedule to do an album with Jeff, now it don't matter what label he's on if he's spending most of his time on his film career, I personally don't care what label he's on, I just hope he releases something new soon

He should be going to the neptunes and star track records!, then hes gonna be blowin peoples minds!

He should be going to the neptunes and star track records!, then hes gonna be blowin peoples minds!

Nah, i can't wrap my mind about that one. Those labels don't have any proven ability 2 truely cater 2 an artist. I respect The Neptunes and Star Tracks, as i like some of the stuff they've done, but they have a certain sound and image. FP is an established artist with a long history in Hip-Hop with his own image and sound. The 2 just wouldn't make sense.

Think of New Edition and Bad Boy. N.E. had 2 decades worth of hits, a sound, and an image. Bad Boy has their sound and image...which just didn't mix. N.E. didn't have control of their album, leading 2 crappy production, only moderate success, and a short time on the charts. Then they ended their deal. This is after they had HUGE success with their previous album Home Again, with 3 big hits and videos, a huge tour and lots of success. 2 established forumulas that don't mix simply don't work.

FP needs a label that is free from a sound or style.

FP's been destroying his own rap career by not taking 2 weeks out of his schedule to do an album with Jeff, now it don't matter what label he's on if he's spending most of his time on his film career, I personally don't care what label he's on, I just hope he releases something new soon

Truth! :wickedwisdom:

As much as i'd love an album from the 'Prince every 2 years or so...i almost think it would be weird. Legends and pioneers of Hip-Hop don't really release albums back 2 back like that. Tho' i hate waiting so long 4 new music sometimes, i like that he takes his time and waits 2 drop an album. When artists like Jay-Z and DMX were dropping a new album almost every year, the only people that were generally hyped about it waz the hardcore fans. The "kinda" fans or fans were just generally fans of music, it all ran 2gether and didnt' mean much.

That being said, i DO think he needs 2 clear some time 2 get with Jeff. It's been time 4 that 2 happen 4 awhile. And the touring is cool, but it makes much more sense 2 do that with an album dropping. Jazzy just dropped one...so it's time 2 tour!!

I see what your saying AJ but at this point and time, FP doesn't have much time left if we are talking strictly mainstream success. Hes 38, not 28. Ten years ago this time, "Men In Black" was getting hot and FP was back in the game. Fast-forward now, people still dont even take Will as a serious rapper. Why? Because FP is inconsistent. He's consistent with his style/ lyrics..etc but inconsistent when it comes time to drop new music. A three year rate isn't good at all. It seems like everytime now he drops an album its "WILL SMITH'S COMEBACK TO MUSIC" as if he hadn't recorded in a decade when it was really three years ago.

Theres also other factors such as labels but you know what? I think labels are starting to become irrelevant because the internet is so much easier and better to use. MySpace Music, iTunes, AOL Music..etc are huge outlets of music as opposed to the radio and video on tv.

• Admin

The reality is Will and Jeff could record an album in 1 month..and be selling it on itunes a couple of months later via Overbrook.. they don't even need a "record label" if all they want to do is make some music and put it out for the real fans..