JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kanye West causes controversy on NBC

Frenetic

gotta agree with cataboy. now isn't the time to worry about stuff like that, it's time to concentrate on the people suffering. personally i think it's bull to say that because it's not true. kanye's not scoring any points with me. keep it up Kanye!  :woono:

What do you mean what he said is not true? Bush waited 4 days before he started doing s*** to help the victims when he jumps the next day to help other countries, it's f****d up, he needs to take care of us American people too not just the world, like my parents tell me you have to do your work at home 1st before you could succeed elsewhere and that's exactly what should be done here, sure we should help with the war in Iraq but we gotta help the victims in New Orleans too just as much, we ran to help the Sunumi victims in Japan on the 1st day but here we waited 4 f****n' days, exuse my language but I'm pissed, the people can't accept the truth and that's what's wrong with society right now, this is more than just an issue of the rap game, we shouldn't have voted for this idiot to be president in the 1st place, a lot of countries have turned their backs on us since he became president, they think Americans are idiots just like him, the leader represents us, he's not a good leader bottomline that's why I didn't vote for him. btw Chief, I'm 20 years old.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gotta agree with cataboy. now isn't the time to worry about stuff like that, it's time to concentrate on the people suffering. personally i think it's bull to say that because it's not true. kanye's not scoring any points with me. keep it up Kanye!  :woono:

What do you mean what he said is not true? Bush waited 4 days before he started doing

Damn right..Even the Dutch /The water Expercts who brought the wordl best Pumps over there ore something like that) where half a way to New Orleans before he stardet doing anything!

Edited by Turntable

I think this is more relevant to the Hurricane ordeal, than to Kanye himself. Same deal with Chuck D. People say "Kanye's so cocky. I hate his attitude." You could almost say he's the Muhammad Ali of today's Hip Hop. But yet poeple say "I hate how he's so cocky, but I like his beats." So he must be doing something right.

That wasn't the time nor the place. Regardless of whether you believed what he said to be true or false, the broadcast was meant to promote unity, not to create controversy. He shouldn't have used the forum that NBC provided him to criticize the govenment, but rather to encourage them to do more and to spur Americans to take more action.

Not a good look for Kanye this time around...

Actually Reborntoreign: THAT WAS the place to say it. The media is so controlled that if he had tried to say it anywhere else, it would've ben edited or not put out.

The things that makes me like the statement is how he goes of the transcript and just goes with himself, he's nervous cause he knows there will be reprocussions and he got so much to say but in short time that he gets emotional. You can see him gathering himself together at the end taking power to say what's on the mind of alot of people right now.

It may not be like Bush is a RACIST, but if this would've happened in the hamptons or Newport, there would been rescue actions alot faster. Cause that's something called Sub-counsciuos racism (just like the images about the looting/finding).

It would be more dope if kanye got some speech training cause seeing him talk is like seeing a child opening his gifts on christmas, they're so eager to to things it gets a little blurry.

Now I ain't saying he is the next 2pac, absoluetly not (there can only be one) but this way of always, always speeking his mind and trying to take the lead for his community reminds me of 2Pac.

Now it would be really, really dope to have Kanye drop Crack Music as a single in the same time Tell Me Why gets released. That's some power right there.

That wasn't the time nor the place. Regardless of whether you believed what he said to be true or false, the broadcast was meant to promote unity, not to create controversy. He shouldn't have used the forum that NBC provided him to criticize the govenment, but rather to encourage them to do more and to spur Americans to take more action.

Not a good look for Kanye this time around...

:word: i'm sorry for bringing my personal opinion about Bush in2 the discussion, but i think we need to focus on helping the people now, not reminiscing on what could've, would've and should've happened. like Max said the purpose of that was to create unity during the hard times, not to create more hate. i honestly don't believe Bush is racist. i don't think that had anything to do with why it took so long.

bottom line, wrong time for Kanye to open his trap

^^^just my opinion

That's why the media thinks KRS-ONE, 2Pac, and Chuck D are controversial and they didn't like it when Will stood up and said rappers shouldn't curse in their songs either for the point of just cursing unless you're saying somethin' with meaning to it but not f*** every line of your song, they want us to close our eyes and not saying anything but this is America and we have freedom of speech, we're not puppets, we react when we're feelin' hurt, put yourselfs in the victim's shoes and you'd feel the same way, have some damn sympathy, not saying Kanye is a legend like those 4 yet but obviously they've all inspired him and he could be on his way up to being one! :thumbsup:

Edited by bigted

If he really wanted to say something about the situation, he should have found another medium. He was invited to this benefit concert to encourage people to help those devastated by the hurricane and the flooding. I'm not attacking what he said, but I am disgusted with the time and the place he chose to say it. If his intention was to help the people affected by hurricane Katrina, he should have mirrored Chris Tucker and urged people to send what they could, not criticize the govenment.

Yes, we all have freedom of speech, but we should be wise enough to know when to excercise our rights and when to approach situations with tact. A benefit concert is not the time to be untactful.

I think it was the right time and place. So many people died in the hurricane, so many people died in the aftermath of the hurricane. The reports that I've heard is that people don't even have food or water! Babies dying! For the longest time I didn't hear anything about help actually getting there, then when I did, it was army folks trained to kill! (under the pretence that the area had turned into a hell hole and peace needed to be kept) They actually mentioned on the news how these soldiers where needed because they where highly trained at killing!!! This isn't the first hurricane to hit the US, but this seems to be the illest prepared for and recovered from though. I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I recall in Afganistan, US troops where doing air drops of food to feed people. Why aren't we getting food and water the hurricane survivors? At last count, this was the highest natural disaster fatality count since 1906. Three thousand people so far, and the government was doing NOTHING! Three thousand rich white folks died in New York not too long ago, it didn't take five days for help to arrive, more like 5 minutes.

The major media wasn't talking about the fact that so many black folks, poor folks, and old folks were dying. We need to be jumping up and down screaming bloody murder over this! This is a problem that must be fixed. And, unfortunately, the way that the American's think and act is that by next week they'll have forgotten and moved on to something else. There's a reason why people say "Strike while the irons hot." So yes, people need to be screaming about this now.

If he really wanted to say something about the situation, he should have found another medium. He was invited to this benefit concert to encourage people to help those devastated by the hurricane and the flooding. I'm not attacking what he said, but I am disgusted with the time and the place he chose to say it. If his intention was to help the people affected by hurricane Katrina, he should have mirrored Chris Tucker and urged people to send what they could, not criticize the govenment.

Yes, we all have freedom of speech, but we should be wise enough to know when to excercise our rights and when to approach situations with tact. A benefit concert is not the time to be untactful.

You say things when people're watching you, that's the best time to say something! :stickpoke: He only said what millions of us are feelin' right now but we don't have a microphone in our face to say it. That's why people thought NWA's "F*** The Police" was offensive but it was true, millions of blacks were being abused by police officers so we did wanna say f*** the police, the media doesn't wanna hear that side of the story, everything has to be all sugarcoated so they won't look bad when they're screwing up, sure Will doesn't curse in his songs but they have a strong meaning to them and he addresses issues that the media might not wanna talk about either.

Edited by bigted

Now I ain't saying he is the next 2pac, absoluetly not (there can only be one) but this way of always, always speeking his mind and trying to take the lead for his community reminds me of 2Pac.

If he wanted to take the lead for his community, he should have addressed the hordes of young black men roaming the city, raping girls, carjacking, shooting at rescue helicopters... (rescue helicopters!), shooting at people waiting to be rescued infront of the superdome including the sick and the elderly, shooting at people while they are being rescued, shooting at law enforcement, looting gun shops...

People involved in the rescue efforts have said that they are afraid for their lives and some have refused to go into the city because of the violence...

There are police officers that have turned in their badges saying that they've lost their homes, they don't want to lose their lives...

You want to address some issues, lets talk about all the issues... don't be myopic.

If he wanted to take the lead for his community, he should have addressed the hordes of young black men roaming the city, raping girls, carjacking, shooting at rescue helicopters... (rescue helicopters!), shooting at people waiting to be rescued infront of the superdome including the sick and the elderly, shooting at people while they are being rescued, shooting at law enforcement, looting gun shops...

People involved in the rescue efforts have said that they are afraid for their lives and some have refused to go into the city because of the violence...

There are police officers that have turned in their badges saying that they've lost their homes, they don't want to lose their lives...

You want to address some issues, lets talk about all the issues... don't be myopic.

That shouldn't have stopped them from trying to help the people, a few people shoot at you and you go away from helping? People shoot at our troops all the time in Iraq but that doesn't stop us from helping their refugess does it? If you're just gonna be a pussy and go away and not try to help anymore nothin' will get done, they could've easily gone to a spot where they weren't shootin', they were still shootin' in some areas when Bush came in too but he stayed didn't he? Kanye could've said something like that too but he didn't have all day to speak you know!

Edited by bigted

Wooow! kanye is brave eh?, I feel the same thing, i studyn in an academy of rich people, the guard searched my bag when i was gettin out, i had to have a lil discussion wit him :willvspaparazzi: , all because i'm black