Hero1

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Review in THE TICKET uk magazine what comes in "the mirror" newspaper.

NOT THE BEST REVIEW good thing i never agree with what this man says.

Lost And Found 2/5 AVOID IT

Will Smith is the family rapper you can trust, the reliable avuncular MC who won’t say rude things in front of the children. The smooth routine has served him well and Smith’s empire is indeed something to behold.

Running parallel with his big screen career, he has maintained his reputation as rap’s squeaky-clean joker over nine albums.

Potty-mouthed ne’er do wells such as Eminem may diss him, but Big Willy, the man from Philly, has earned respect too. The evidence can be found here on collaborations with the first lady of R&B, Mary J Blige, crunk star Ludacris and gangsta rap legend Snoop Dogg.

A rap star years before he found TV fame as The Fresh Prince, or became a big-league movie celebrity, Smith has always been his own man.

He’s been writing rhymes since he was 12 and plying the massive rap crossover market with humour and beats you can take home to mum ever since he teamed up with DJ Jazzy Jeff on the Rock The House album 1987.

Now a father and divorcee, Smith’s raps reflect mature concerns while maintaining his carefree swinging style. In Party Starter, he moans for the mythical good old days when rap celebrated getting down rather than getting your gun.

On Switch is a song where, surprise surprise, everyone is looking at Big Willie because he’s a movie star. He admonishes girls who come to the club naked, and the beats are so worn they should be returned to Jazzy Jeff’s storage room. Mr Niceguy attempts to lampoon Will’s public image but merely reinforces it.

Ms Holy Roller, an attack on right-wing fundamentalism, is timely, but the method used is more speaking than rapping. No doubt long-time fans will relate to Tell Me Why where Smith attempts to explain the post-9/11 world to his young son.

Smith is an American rap institution, a proud veteran who has done it his way. But his songs lack that necessary glint of wild fun or menace.

Because the bachelor boy means little there, American fans will never know it but Will is the Cliff Richard of rap.

the man who reviews the cds said buy NEW ORDER. GARBAGE and TERRI WALKER

just to tell u what he thinks "good" music is

-ex

Edited by ex0ddus

Review in THE TICKET uk magazine what comes in "the mirror" newspaper.

NOT THE BEST REVIEW good thing i never agree with what this man says.

Lost And Found 2/5 AVOID IT

Will Smith is the family rapper you can trust, the reliable avuncular MC who won’t say rude things in front of the children. The smooth routine has served him well and Smith’s empire is indeed something to behold.

Running parallel with his big screen career, he has maintained his reputation as rap’s squeaky-clean joker over nine albums.

Potty-mouthed ne’er do wells such as Eminem may diss him, but Big Willy, the man from Philly, has earned respect too. The evidence can be found here on collaborations with the first lady of R&B, Mary J Blige, crunk star Ludacris and gangsta rap legend Snoop Dogg.

A rap star years before he found TV fame as The Fresh Prince, or became a big-league movie celebrity, Smith has always been his own man.

He’s been writing rhymes since he was 12 and plying the massive rap crossover market with humour and beats you can take home to mum ever since he teamed up with DJ Jazzy Jeff on the Rock The House album 1987.

Now a father and divorcee, Smith’s raps reflect mature concerns while maintaining his carefree swinging style. In Party Starter, he moans for the mythical good old days when rap celebrated getting down rather than getting your gun.

On Switch is a song where, surprise surprise, everyone is looking at Big Willie because he’s a movie star. He admonishes girls who come to the club naked, and the beats are so worn they should be returned to Jazzy Jeff’s storage room. Mr Niceguy attempts to lampoon Will’s public image but merely reinforces it.

Ms Holy Roller, an attack on right-wing fundamentalism, is timely, but the method used is more speaking than rapping. No doubt long-time fans will relate to Tell Me Why where Smith attempts to explain the post-9/11 world to his young son.

Smith is an American rap institution, a proud veteran who has done it his way. But his songs lack that necessary glint of wild fun or menace.

Because the bachelor boy means little there, American fans will never know it but Will is the Cliff Richard of rap.

the man who reviews the cds said buy NEW ORDER. GARBAGE and TERRI WALKER

just to tell u what he thinks "good" music is

-ex

Not really a rap fan then in general. Not a terrible review, Still doesn't bother me about reviews anyway

People are going to hate. Simple as that. The guy doesn't mention "Lost and Found" or "I Wish I Made That" or "Loretta," 3 of the top 5 songs, IMO on the album. There's no way, no way at all, that you can review this album and not mention "Lost and Found" where the man comments on the state of rap music (maybe not the best track, probably second or third, but the most important track on the album). And you sort of get the feeling that he gave each track a cursory listen. "Right-wing fundamentalism"... somone wasn't really listening to the song. It seems more that he dug up a biography of Will and wrote around it, and mentioned 3 tracks on the album for good measure. Lastly, I think this quote says it all...

"Smith is an American rap institution, a proud veteran who has done it his way. But his songs lack that necessary glint of wild fun or menace."

Wild fun or menace indeed.

People are going to hate. Simple as that. The guy doesn't mention "Lost and Found" or "I Wish I Made That" or "Loretta," 3 of the top 5 songs, IMO on the album. There's no way, no way at all, that you can review this album and not mention "Lost and Found" where the man comments on the state of rap music (maybe not the best track, probably second or third, but the most important track on the album). And you sort of get the feeling that he gave each track a cursory listen. "Right-wing fundamentalism"... somone wasn't really listening to the song. It seems more that he dug up a biography of Will and wrote around it, and mentioned 3 tracks on the album for good measure. Lastly, I think this quote says it all...

"Smith is an American rap institution, a proud veteran who has done it his way. But his songs lack that necessary glint of wild fun or menace."

Wild fun or menace indeed.

I agree about the biography point. This review is the least-thorough analysis of an album possible. Can I get a job w/ the Mirror? Evidently, it doesn't take much.

what the hell was that review? It sounds like the guy didn't give it a thorough listen at all. I thought it was a great album (except "if u can't dance"-could have left that one off) and i'm hard to convince when it comes to Will rapping. Rap heads are even respecting it, with the exception of a few haters. Is that a British magazine? If so, what do the Brits know anyways? Just playin ya'll

-also if Will did all party tracks like the "lacking menace and wild fun" line suggested they would be on his ass too anyways. Now since Will takes a more serious route, they attack him too? It's like, make up your minds, idiot critics...

• Admin

these were the same awful reviews they'd have for willennium..these "reviewers" only listen to the first 4 or 5 tracks.. in all the reviews of willennium they'd say it was awful and mention "will2k" "freakin it" and "da butta" and never mention "potnas" "pump me up" or "the rain" looks like the same thing is gonna happen.. seriously that was one of the worst and most sloppy reviews ive ever read

• Admin

here we go..

The Independant 4 stars out of 5

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/r...sp?story=623355

Album: Will Smith

Lost and Found, INTERSCOPE

By Andy Gill

Published : 25 March 2005

As with many rappers, Smith's favourite subject here is himself - but unlike most, he ponders his situation with a certain depth and intelligence. Why, he wonders in "I Wish I Made That", won't black radio play him? Maybe he might be considered "black enough" if he robbed a bank? Of course, he's too squeaky-clean for that, but the jibes from hardcore exponents have stung him to bite back on tracks such as "Mr Niceguy" and "Lost and Found", in which he defends his old-school style: "Why should I try to sound like y'all sound?/ That's what's wrong with the rap game/ It's like a circus with a bunch of clowns/ A bunch of cliques I'd probably rap circles around". Of such foul-mouthed gangsta slackers, he enquires, "Did you take time to think about the seeds you're sowing?" But it's not just Smith's colleagues who feel the lash of his tongue. "Ms Holy Roller" is a critique of a born-again Christian who "Can't wait to tell/ If I don't believe what you believe, I'm goin' to hell", swelling to a ferocious indictment of right-wing fundamentalism, more powerful for coming from a committed Christian. With surprisingly sympathetic pieces elsewhere about a stalker ("Loretta") and the difficulty of explaining death to children ("Tell Me Why"), Lost and Found finds the fun-lovin' Fresh Prince finally becoming one of the more mature and thoughtful figures in hip-hop.

I found two quite positive reviews but am unable to get them up due to time.

One was from The Sun newspaper yesterday whihc gave it 4 out of 5

and the other is off BBC Ceefax Teletext where they write a promising review. If Brakes, Julie, FreshPrincess, Jonny or James cud do the honours of getting that up here that would be cool. Its around the 530 page mark.

Kev

I found two quite positive reviews but am unable to get them up due to time.

One was from The Sun newspaper yesterday whihc gave it 4 out of 5

and the other is off BBC Ceefax Teletext where they write a promising review. If Brakes, Julie, FreshPrincess, Jonny or James cud do the honours of getting that up here that would be cool. Its around the 530 page mark.

Kev

Thats pretty good, to bad The Sun is crap, well when it comes to sport anyway, dont know so much about their music reviews...