JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

RICK JAMES - R.I.P.

Man, 3Cookies just gave me the newz...here it is. Rest In Peace.

Funk Legend Rick James Found Dead
08.06.2004 3:24 PM EDT

Rick James (file)
Photo: Kevin Winter

Funk legend Rick James was found dead at his home in Hollywood by his live-in housekeeper on Friday, according to an officer and spokesperson for the Los Angeles Police Department.

The LAPD was notified of James' passing at 9:45 a.m. PT. James' physician signed off on his death certificate, explaining that he passed away from an existing medical condition. James suffered a stroke in 1998 after a blood vessel broke in the back of his neck during a performance in Denver.

Best known for his 1980s hits "Super Freak" and "Give It to Me Baby," James, who hadn't released a studio album since 1997's Urban Rhapsody, experienced a surge in popularity this year when Dave Chappelle impersonated him on his "Chappelle's Show."

James' phrases like "It's a celebration" and "I'm Rick James, bitch!" were reintroduced into pop culture through the show. "I've always been able to laugh at myself, the character Rick James," James told MTV News in May. "I created it, that extroverted part of James Johnson. I was able to laugh at myself 'cause that's what it's meant for, it's meant to have fun with" (see "Dave Chappelle: The Reason Grandmas Know Who Lil Jon Is").

James was born James Johnson Jr. on February 1, 1948 in Buffalo, New York. His hugely successful 1981 album, Street Songs, went triple platinum and solidified his position at the forefront of the funk genre.

He joined the Navy at 15 and fled to Canada shortly after, founding his first group in Toronto, the Mynah Birds, which included members Neil Young, Bruce Palmer (who later formed Buffalo Springfield) and Goldie McJohn (who later joined Steppenwolf). The group signed to Motown in the mid-1960s and recorded a few tracks, though none were ever released.

In the early 1980s, James began working with the Temptations, who had recently returned to the Motown label.

James toured earlier this year with Teena Marie, and had hoped to hit the road for his own tour early next year. He was also working on an autobiography.

The singer spoke with MTV News in May, and seemed at ease with his larger-than-life reputation. "I'm just now in control of the persona," James said. "I don't have to go out to clubs every night, and I don't have to have 10 women in my bed when I wake up. There's a lot of things I don't have to do anymore because it's passe, you know? It's redundant. I'm just concentrating on my kids, and I'm just working more towards the future and Rick James happiness within himself."

"I'm in a great new part of my life," James added. "I got a great new album coming out, I'm on tour and I'm happy. Me and Teena are back together; that may end tomorrow but right now it's fine."

—MTV News staff report

Rick James is dead, damn that sucks! He was the man! R.I.P.

[font="Arial"][color=blue]dang that sux, big tyme. I loved Rick James. Especially one song that remains my favourite,..."Fire & Desire" with Tina Marie....I just can't imagine him gone, especially after all he went through with remaining in the US after his last incident...

Rest in Peace Rick James.

Thankx for making a post AJ...

peace,
3cookies [/color][/font]

I'm hoping VH-1 airs their Behind The Music special on him cuz the way he turned his life aroudn waz really impressive 2 me. 2 many young kids are runnin' around thinkin' they knew about Rick James from Dave Chappelle's skits and stuff...and that's embarrasing 2 me and i doubt Rick himself wants 2 bronzed in2 people's minds that way. Here's another article...

Funk Music Star Rick James Dies
LOS ANGELES (Aug. 6) - Funk legend Rick James, best known for the 1981 hit "Super Freak'' before his career collapsed in a cloud of violent drug charges, died Friday. He was 56.

James died in his sleep at his residence near Universal City, apparently of natural causes, said his publicist, Sujata Murthy. James lived alone and was found dead by his personal assistant, who notified police, she said.

The exact cause was not immediately known. "There'll be an autopsy and we'll find that out shortly,'' Murthy said.

With long hair elaborately styled in braids or Jheri curls, James was one of the biggest R&B stars of the 1980s, composing danceable rhythms and passionate ballads that gained a wide following.

Aside from "Super Freak'' - which MC Hammer used a decade later as the backing track for his rap smash "U Can't Touch This'' - James' hits included "Mary Jane,'' "Ebony Eyes'' and "Fire and Desire,'' a stirring duet with Teena Marie.

"He was really fantastic, he was a creator,'' singer Little Richard told MSNBC.
Toward the end of the '80s, James' fame began to fade as he became embroiled in drugs, legal problems and health troubles.

In 1993 he was convicted in two separate cases of assaulting women. The first case occurred in 1991, when prosecutors said James and his girlfriend tied a woman to a chair, burned her with a hot crack pipe and forced her to perform sex acts during a cocaine binge at his West Hollywood home.

James was free on bail when the second assault occurred in 1992 in James' hotel room.

He served more than two years in Folsom Prison.

In 1997 he released a new album, but a year later he suffered a stroke while performing at Denver's Mammoth Events Center, derailing a comeback tour.

In 1998 he also underwent hip replacement surgery.

James was not married and names of survivors were not immediately available, Murthy said. Funeral arrangements were being planned.