JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BUSTA RHYMES -THE BIG BANG

This is best Hip-Hop album released so far this year. The harder edge that LL's album waz missing is found here. The top notch production that Ice Cube's album is missing is here. The album isn't perfect, but it's one of the best Hip-Hop albums released in a long time. Here's my review.

BUSTA RHYMES - THE BIG BANG

GET YOU SOME - This is actually a weak album opener. The beat is very traditional of commerical Hip-Hop. Q-Tip and Marsha Ambrosius (of Floetry) make forgetable appearances on the hook. Busta shines on the track, but that's cuz Dre's beat is boring and the hook is underdone.

TOUCH IT - If u haven't heard this song...u are living under a rock...and are still waiting for the results from the LL/Kool Moe Dee battle 2 come in. It's a high energy, Swizz Beatz B-level club banger. Like a handful of Busta's singles...they are perfect for commerical radio...but filler compared 2 the rest of the music on his albums.

HOW WE DO IT OVER HERE - This keeps in tradition with the 1st 2 commerical rap beats. I like Missy, but she doesn't bring 2 much 2 the track. It sounds like alota stuff she's done b4.

NEW YORK $#!+ - Now this is where the album picks up. DJ Scratch brings the goods on this one. The beat is dope...flawless...timeless. The song is just big-uping NY, but lyrically and flow wise, Busta brings it. This one is dope...i can't get over it.

BEEN THROUGH THE STORM - We flow right in2 another dope one. The steady beat features a brilliant piano and the one and only Stevie Wonder singing on the song. Busta come with flawless lyrics and delivery again. I can't say enough good things about this joint.

IN THE GHETTO - While DJ Green Lantern didn't bring a track as good as the previous 2, it's much better than the 1st 3 trax. The beat has this empty kinda vibe and a different sound. Hard 2 explain...but good none the less. The Rick James sample is alright.

COCAINA - Finally, Dr. Dre gives us a good beat. The track has this urban thump 2 it, with a high pitch piano sample. Busta shines vocally again. Marsha from Floetry adds a bit of flava 2 this one. This is another good one. Busta can breathe life in2 a track with ease. Can't Dre realize that all this G-Unit fools don't do anything with the beats they are given.

YOU CAN'T HOLD THE TORCH - Ooooohhhh!! This is the joint! Busta and Q-Tip spitting back and forth like the good old dayz. What's even better is the beat Jay Dee created for this one. God rest the soul of a man who can put a beat like this 2gether. It reminds me of something u'd hear on A Touch of Jazz. On top of that, Chauncy Black (of BLACKstreet) pops up on the hook. This song is amazing.

GOLDMINE - Another dope Hip-Hop beat...produced by no one other than the green eyed bandit...ERICK SERMON. I'm not much of a Wu-Tang fan, but Raekwon comes correct on this one. This steady beat with the pianos and the soul clap gives Busta the perfect platform he needs 2 flow over. Another flawless one here.

I LOVE MY CHICK/B!+CH - This track takes it back 2 the radio friendly stuff (hence the fact that it's the 2nd single off the album). This uptempo one waz put 2gether by Will.I.Am of the Black Eyed Peas and has Kelis on a forgettable hook. Fun song...but meerly a bridge 2 the high quality Hip-Hop on the rest of the album.

DON'T GET CARRIED AWAY - This beat is 2 typical 2 me. It's uptempo with some darkness 2 the sound...but Dre disappoints me yet again. Nas shows up on this one, but doesn't do anything 2 impressive one it. This one get a C+.

THEY'RE OUT TO GET ME - This bassline of this one is sick...but the rest of it's just above average. The track is kinda moody.

GET DOWN - This is a fun one produced by Timbaland. While i favor those Jay Dee and DJ Scratch beats more, this track provides a different, upbeat kinda vibe u can't get anywhere else. It's procussion heavy and had chants on the hook. Good stuff.

I'LL DO IT ALL - This track is different...slows it down...and smooths it out. It's one of those steady bumping, R-N-B touched love songs. LaToya Williams shines on the hook. I like this one alot. Hip-Hop sugared up just a bit.

LEGEND OF THE FALL OFFS - This track opens up with the sound of a grave being dug...setting u up for this dark, moody track. The subject matter is stong, dealing with celebs who have faded over the years. The female vocals on the hook are a real nice touch.

All in all, this album is dope!! In my opinion, it's the best Hip-Hop album released so far this year and definitly the one of the best in a LOOOOONG time. If u are A Busta Rhymes/Leaders of The New School fan, check this album. If u just love Hip-Hop...check this album. If u listen 2 crap like Ja-Rule, Nelly, G-Unit, Lil' Jon, Terror Squad, and so on....check this album and introduce yourself 2 real Hip-Hop.

RATING

2006 - 9.5

OF ALL TIME 8.5

I agree with AJ when he says that this is the best hip hop album out this year. I liked LL, Ghostface, PE and Ice Cubes contributions but there was a certain consistency missing in them to make a well rounded album. I wasnt much of a Busta Rhymes fan before this, I liked the hits and singles but I never really bought an album. But I bought this album and loved it! So heres my first track by track review-

GET YOU SOME -The album starts off with a slightly above average Dre production. Busta takes up the level of the song with some dope lines.As AJ said Q-Tip and Marsha didn't really add anything special to the track--3.5/5

TOUCH IT - Y'all know this one! Its good for the club, I guess but after hearing this track everywhere from radio, to partys and not to mention the countless remixes I usally skip it. But its good for a few listens --3/5

HOW WE DO IT OVER HERE - I don't like this track. THis beat is annoying and lyrically Missy and Busta don't do anything special.--2/5

NEW YORK $#!+ - The production is dope,one might even say classic! Busta lines are pretty good but I think I wish he brought a little something more lyrically. Guest appearances on this track would have been on point, veterans representing good east coast hip-hop (Rakim,Slick Rick, KRS....maybe even Nas). Definitely remix worthy. Hip hops going bach to the east!!--4/5

BEEN THROUGH THE STORM -This song contains all the elements of a perfect hip hop song- amazing lyrics, dope flow, dope beat and a mind blowing hook!--4.5/5

IN THE GHETTO - Yet another great song! I love the beat and Bustas flow is crazy! And I was blown away by the sample of Rick James crooning "Ghetto life".

Never mind who you thought I was....Im Rick James bitch!! :willvspaparazzi: :rofl: --4.5/5

COCAINA - A good track, Dre comes correct but I don't really feel the song topic much.--3/5

YOU CAN'T HOLD THE TORCH - Yet another good song, it personally didn't blow me away or anthing but Q-Tip and Busta drop some good rhymes and the prduction is pretty good.--3.5/5

GOLDMINE - Busta and the chef rock a techinically perfect piano beat the way it should be.--4/5

I LOVE MY CHICK/B!+CH - The song is kinda annoying and the dirty version is rather crude and degrading. But I guess the clean version can get some radio play.--2.5/5

DON'T GET CARRIED AWAY - The beat isn't anything special, I wasn't impressed by Dres contribution on this one.Busta drops some good lines but me being a big Nas fan feel as though Nasty stole the show.

"Im a Martyr, my entrance ur departure"--3/5

THEY'RE OUT TO GET ME - Nice beat (courtesy of D12s Kon Artis) and hook, but I usually skip this one because I can't relate to the subject much.--3/5

GET DOWN - This is why I was slightly apprehensive of buying a Busta album....he can be seriously wierd. But I guess its a fun track--2.5/5

I'LL DO IT ALL - A respectful, R&B tinged love song.Up-tempo with a nice hook.-- 3.5/5

LEGEND OF THE FALL OFFS - Dark, almost creepy beat of a shovel digging a grave...I love stuff like this.Dr.Dre reuses the sample of the female vocals on Rakims unreleased "After u die". This topic is very relevant with rap cats losing the fire they had early on in their careers.--4/5

So overall- 8.5/10 Definately recommended.

This is a great album, I love it. The New York S*** track is real hot, as is Been Through The Storm. I liked the Nas track, as well. One of the best albums I have heard in a while, much better than LL's latest release, a couple months ago, I would never picture myself saying that, but it is true. The album is the complete package. The one track that I cannot stand is the I Love My B**** track. To me, it is way too commercial, and downright obnoxious. Here is my track by track assessment:

Get You Some: Average features, beat, but Busta is strong lyrically, 7/10

Touch It: I like the concept of the track back and forth, up and down, I really think the beat could be better, it feels empty, but overall, pretty good. 8/10

How We Do It Over Here: At first glance, I didn't like this track that much, but after a couple listens, it has grown on me, I really feel the beat, and Busta's lyrics are pretty good. 8/10

New York S***: This is one of the best songs I have heard in a while, lyrically outstanding, and the beat is crazy, amazing song. 10/10

Been Through the Storm: Really a lot of serious issues brought up, and I love the Stevie Wonder feature, a great track. 10/10

In the Ghetto: A good track, not quite on the level as the previous song, but overall, solid. 8/10

Cocaina: Marsha of Floetry does a good job and lyrically Busta is on point once again, not great, but real good. 8.5/10

You Can't Hold the Torch: Another top notch song, Q-Tip is excellent on this track, really feeling the back and forth idea, great track. 10/10

Goldmine: Raekwon does a nice job and so does Busta, real smooth track, feeling it. 9/10

I Love My B****: The one song that I can't stand, it is commercial, not much lyrically, the beat isn't great and I actually find it obnoxious.

Don't Get Carried Away: I like this track, a typical Dre beat, but I was feeling it, Nas does a real nice job and Busta was solid. One of my personal favs. 9/10

They're Out to Get Me: Beat is nice, can really feel what Busta is talkin' about, good track. 9/10

Get Down: An uptempo, Timbaland track, it is okay, I don't really see anything special about it. 7.5/10

I'll Do It All: A real slow down, RnB love song, different from the rest of the album, but is good nonetheless, one song like this is a nice change. A nice track. 9/10

Legend of the Fall Offs: An interesting idea, about burying washed up celebrities, different, but he makes it work. Good job. 8/10

Overall, I love the album, and I cannot get enough of it. I highly recommend it.

i just got this cd today, and thru 1 1/2 listens i must say its a dope cd. the 3 hit punch of Been Thru The Storm, In the Ghetto, and Cocaina. thats the heart of the cd right there where Busta shows some deep lyrics. i must say that Dre did a good job producing the album aswell. i recommend this cd!

I ordered a mixtape "Countdown To The Big Bang" online a couple weeks ago but it sold out already so I wasn't able to receive it, that's how much buzz he has right now, I was a lil' dissapointed I wasn't able to get that since it had a lot of exclusive tracks that weren't gonna be on this album but I was able to get the album a couple days ago, it's definately more versatile than his last couple albums, he shows the world with this one that he could do more than just be animated with club bangers, I'd rank it a 4.5/5, the only problem I seem to have with it is that I don't get why the "Touch It" remix wasn't on there since it was all over radio and TV, it's tough to compare his album to LL's and Ice Cube's 'cause they all got different styles but they're definately all still going strong in keepin' real hip-hop alive in their own ways, they should all tour together to promote their albums

Edited by bigted