JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will left Jeff behind?

I was talking with someone today and when I mentioned Will Smith and how much I liked his stuff, he mentioned that Will kinda dissed Jeff back in the day. Something about either Jeff needed some money to start Touch of Jazz or needed a job or SOMETHING, and that Will kinda dissed him and didn't help him. He also mentioned how Jazz didn't have more than a bit recurring role in Fresh Prince of Bel Air, instead of having a featured part in the show. "HE shoulda come before Carlton" is how my friend put it.

He said that they made up later (leading to Potnas, I suppose?), but what is the story behind this? Supposedly Jeff was pissed about it, and mentioned it in some interviews or something.

Anyone have a detailed story about this or anything?

Well I remember reading some stuff before about that...rumors and stuff about how Will Smith basically went off and did stuff solo or whatever and left Jeff behind. And the basis for this was ...shrugs...but also I suppose the fact that Jeff didn't exactly have a big part in the FPOBA show.

Supposedly Jeff expressed hurt feelings or whatever in interviews and that him and Will have put that behind them and made up since then.

I always figured that was the reason for Potnas, as if anyone needed validation that Will and Jeff were tight.

edit: I wanna make it clear though that it's not as if I heard that Will just flat out dissed him as far as "drop dead, I ain't helping you" but more of a , "I'm a big star now and I'm doing my thing alone" kinda thing. Maybe not verbalized, but inferred.

Edited by conscious thug

Well I remember reading some stuff before about that...rumors and stuff about how Will Smith basically went off and did stuff solo or whatever and left Jeff behind. And the basis for this was ...shrugs...but also I suppose the fact that Jeff didn't exactly have a big part in the FPOBA show.

Supposedly Jeff expressed hurt feelings or whatever in interviews and that him and Will have put that behind them and made up since then.

I always figured that was the reason for Potnas, as if anyone needed validation that Will and Jeff were tight.

edit: I wanna make it clear though that it's not as if I heard that Will just flat out dissed him as far as "drop dead, I ain't helping you" but more of a , "I'm a big star now and I'm doing my thing alone" kinda thing. Maybe not verbalized, but inferred.

I think those rumors came from the fact that Will wanted to do some solo stuff while Jeff wanted to run ATOJ. So people who don't know them very well thought they split up and went their seperate ways as if they got into a fight or something. I bet that those "hurt feelings" Jeff expressed in some interviews were just misunderstood or something. Potnas was just a track dedicated to show that JJFP will always be together and how close they are. I don't know if you actually call it validation though.

i've never read or heard from a legit source that Will dissed Jeff or that Jeff ever expressed anger towards Will. Jeff has never wanted to be in the spotlight, and probably wasn't as interested in acting as he was in doing his ATOJ thing so i dont think his role in FPOBA made him upset. even in BWS, Jeff did scratching so the rumor that they made up around the Potnas time is untrue.

FP's movies were his solo ambition...A Touch of Jazz waz Jazzy's. If they were gonna make it a JJ+FP thing, they would have. There waz never any dissing or anybody being left behind. If there waz, Jazzy wouldn't have done The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and he would have never went 2 some of FP's movie premiers with him.

• Admin

Something about either Jeff needed some money to start Touch of Jazz or needed a job or SOMETHING, and that Will kinda dissed him and didn't help him.

Jeff didnt need a job or money to start a touch of jazz..he started that with the money from jazzy jeff & fresh prince

He also mentioned how Jazz didn't have more than a bit recurring role in Fresh Prince of Bel Air, instead of having a featured part in the show. "HE shoulda come before Carlton" is how my friend put it.

Jeff was never into acting.. a bit part was all he wanted.. he did a few episodes.. NBC offered him a full time member of the cast but Jeff turned it down

He said that they made up later (leading to Potnas, I suppose?), but what is the story behind this? Supposedly Jeff was pissed about it, and mentioned it in some interviews or something.

Jeff wasn't pissed about anything.. Will and Jeff are very happy Will got to do what he always wanted to - become a movie star.. Jeff got to do what he always wanted to - start a touch of jazz

I swear the people who hate on Will are so ignorant, if they knew anything about him they'd know that he wouldn't sell out on Jazzy Jeff

Yeah it isn't true, but in response to the topic title "Will left Jeff behind?" - in terms of fame that is very correct. WS gave up working on JJFP albums to go on to do the TV and movies, before going on to a solo career and quickly became massive. Everyone knows who Will is but I'll bet if you asked, hardly anybody would ever have heard of Jeff. So did WS leave behind Jeff, from that aspect yes he did.

You need to show this person this quote by Jazzy Jeff and it'll clear everything, Will wanted to bring Jazzy more into the spotlight around the "Men In Black" times but Jazzy didn't want that, it was his choice to play the background, Will didn't leave him behind:

"During the times of Men In Black Will had the chance for one of the best contracts at Sony. He wanted me to join him, but I didnt feel beeing signed at a major label. he totaly understood, and I let him do his thing. I would have worked with him forever, I would make beats for him, tour with him.. But I just didnt feel the major label thing".

great quote ted. If Jeff wanted to be as big as Will, he could. If Jeff was "left behind" as some people want to put it, then he wanted to be left behind.

:word: