JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Do you think what will said was taken negatively by interscope

dkny2kx

It's possible, I'm not sure tho... record labels really shouldn't care about why artists want to release their music. If anything, they should be happy to show the world some good hip hop music! But we all know how Interscope is... :daveuidiot: :willvspaparazzi:

No I don't think so. I think Interscope has been about the bottom line since Dre dropped The Chronic in 1991. Interscope, like Sony, BMG/Universal and the others don't care about creativity in music. If they did, then MCs like Mos Def, Talib Kweli and other would be on major labels.

What a lot of people have to understand is that the music industry is not interested in good music - just music that sells. And unfortunately what sells in America today is sex, violence and ignorance. As long as the people ask for it then the labels will continue to give it to them.

Rap music is dead.

• Admin

Can't just blame the labels..remember when mca signed the roots dilated peoples talib kweli? i dont know all these hip hop artists.. and they released music videos good promotion and the albums didnt sell.. and the label folded..

When I listen to the music today I wonder how tribe called quest de la soul public enemy used to go platinum.. Did people just have good taste then? whats the deal :hmm:

Can't just blame the labels..remember when mca signed the roots dilated peoples talib kweli? i dont know all these hip hop artists.. and they released music videos good promotion and the albums didnt sell.. and the label folded..

When I listen to the music today I wonder how tribe called quest de la soul public enemy used to go platinum.. Did people just have good taste then? whats the deal :hmm:

That's true. You can't just blame the labels, you gotta blame the people too. They're the ones buying crap like 50 Cent and others and the labels see that. Then the labels want more "artists" to do nonsense like 50 and the cycle just continues to go on & on.

I remember reading an interview that Nas did a couple of years ago and he said people were booing when he performed "I Can" at a concert. They wanted to hear "Ether". "I Can" is one of the most positive songs to come out in the past 5 years and these knuckleheads want to hear "Ether"?

The truth is that today's youth(not all of them but a good percentage of them) are not appreciative of the groundwork laid by pioneers such as Tribe, De La, JJFP and others so they can't appreciate good music now. De La, Public Enemy, Talib and others have to record on indie labels? What the hell is that?

whats the deal :hmm:

''dont believe the hype''

if i see somebody sells more than a milion : Damn that's crap :lolsign: :shrug:

^^^that's maybe only for the Hip Hop and Madonna(ppl buy her new album just for the name on the CD :trio: )

Edited by fresh_from_sofia

Maybe Eminem told Jimmy Iovine to delay "Party Starter" if he didn't like what Will said about him in "Mr. Nice Guy" and that he saw there was a large buzz when "Lost and Found" came out while they were trashing his album, he was probably scared that if Will got promoted right that he'd got outsold, maybe that's how he responded since he got connections on that label, that's what 50 Cent did with Game when they delayed his video for months and forced him to shoot it himself from his own pockets, now if they do that to another gangsta rapper, they'll have no mercy on Will so what I said is not really a stretch, why did they allow Eminem to release 2 videos before "Party Starter" got released? Something doesn't feel right about that... They might've wanted Will to just to talk about "Mr. Nice Guy" as a buzz to sell the album when it comes out so they'd make a lil' profit off of him but they truely had no motives to see Will outsell their big name gangstas on the label 'cause that'd kill their careers... I'm personally shocked that this was the label that actually offered Will a contract to release this album 'cause they're the biggest gangsta rap label in the world, you figured they'd be more offended by his comments on gangsta rap to sign him than they'd be of him saying he's not worried about sales, all labels suck though but Interscope is basically the machine that's killing hip-hop right now, people are sheep these days, it seems like people only look out for what's on the radio when they buy music, if Interscope simply put more effort into getting a lot of singles on the radio people'll buy it but since black radio don't play him people resist buying it 'cause they consider you wack if you ain't on Hot 97... This label put all their energies into most of the gangsta rap you hear on the radio today, there really isn't that many people who like these artists but they're all the radio plays so people jump on the bandwagon 'cause that's all they see, they don't search for an alternative, they just digest what the radio feeds them, if they played Will all day on the radio he'd also sell 5 million, there's a lot of payola scandals that happen too, Will needs to branch out on his own 'cause these labels treat true artists like slaves.... If Will was rapping about killing and drugs they'd promote the hell out of this album, believe me, but you figure they wouldn't since he didn't, and like I said all along if Kel Spencer was a gangsta rapper he'd be as big as 50 Cent right now but instead he's still looking for a deal... I was actually scared that it'd get shelved since it was delayed so long, I don't think I felt that excited about him going to Interscope but I can't be that upset though 'cause the album came out and it went platinum and he won an AMA even with such lil' support that Interscope gave him, it shows that Will's fans ain't sheep 'cause believe me if anybody on 50, Eminem, or anyone from their crews had such lil' support their albums would completely brick 'cause 99% of those who buy their albums are sheep and their original fanbase is alienated since they sold out ...

Edited by bigted

If they would have listened to his statement they would have put out tell me why. If Will said he wanted to put out music without restrictions, he was obviously restricted in putting that song out. I care about tell me whys sales but the main reason i wanna see it released is so we can have a dope video and haters can hear it and prove that Will isnt a"bubblegum rapper".

They didnt restrict him writing what he wanted to, but they did restrict it from being heard by a lot of people. Deep songs like tell me why and ms holy roller were only heard by fans and people that liked switch.

That's true. You can't just blame the labels, you gotta blame the people too. They're the ones buying crap like 50 Cent and others and the labels see that. Then the labels want more "artists" to do nonsense like 50 and the cycle just continues to go on & on.

I completely agree Top Dawg... this really gets down to the basics; does the industry create the market, or does the market create the industry? I think its a mixture of both and all the blame can't be placed at the feet of those in the industry. They are about the money and they will continue to produce those things that sell. In part, it's up to the market (the people) to determine what is profitable for the industry. At the same time, the industry's promotion and glorification of some of the music that we hear and the lifestyles that we see serve to perpetuate the cycle...

I think the only reason why Interscope signed Will is 'cause they figure that he'll sell from his movie career, but if he was only a recording artist, they probably wouldn't offer him a record deal unless he was making pimp music, that's why you see Public Enemy, De La, and Talib Kweli taking the independent route 'cause they ain't in high demand for major labels, Interscope might give Will the freedom to make the music he wants but don't back him in the promoting like they would if he wrote songs about violence and getting high, Interscope made sure to release a single every month last year for 50 Cent it seemed but they waited 6 months to release "Party Starter", there's no question that "Lost and Found" could've had capability to sell as much as Mariah Carey's album if 5 singles were released in 5 months, even if there weren't videos for all them, at least get out to the radio please, I have a feeling that Interscope probably told Will not to perform "Tell Me Why" at Live 8, I'm sure he was intending on doing that 'cause the song was made for that moment... Will deserves that kind of promotion, he was out there doing all the performances while the promotion team was on their ass, but if they put work in that'd been drawing large audiences, they seem to put restrictions on promoting albums with substance...

Edited by bigted

I don't think FP's comments about sales have anything 2 do with how they've neglected the album. 50 Cent and Will Smith are 2 different kinds of artists. They chose 2 push all that Eminem/50 Cent trash becuz they know they will bet every single penny they put in2 promotion back. When they signed FP, they took a chance becuz he isn'ta sell-out, cookie cutter act. He takes chances and makes music from his heart...not depending on what's hot or what sells. They did some okay promotion in the beginning. It took 2 long, but they put out the "Party Starter" video and promo single. Radio and music video stations neglected the single. Interscope should have had a back up plan...but "PS"'s lack of success isn't totally Interscope's fault at all.

Don't you think "Party Starter" would do better if it came out 3 months earlier? The reason why it was neglected so much from airplay is that the album sales were basically dead at that point, people lost interest in the album by the time the end of the summer came, 50 Cent's album sales wouldn't be that good if singles were released 6 months apart...

Edited by bigted

• Admin

I think party starter had the best beat on the album..and was one of Wills best singles in a long time..still even if it was released 3 months earlier I doubt it would have been a hit.. its one of those songs that grow on you..and radio just never gave it a chance