JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Do you think what will said was taken negatively by interscope

dkny2kx

• Members

I think party starter had the best beat on the album..and was one of Wills best singles in a long time..still even if it was released 3 months earlier I doubt it would have been a hit.. its one of those songs that grow on you..and radio just never gave it a chance

Yup, I think that's the reason,but we have to think about the "never give a chance" thing. They never gave it a chance, because it is Will?

I'm sure a few more people would've been interested in buying the album if it came out earlier, a buzz would've been created if it was performed at the NBA Finals and then he performed "Tell Me Why" at Live 8 and the video for that came out in July and then the promotion would end in August when Will shoots his film, 3 singles in 6 months would've been wonderful... I'd say the album would sell a lil' bit more to say the least and even if it didn't, at least I'd be happy to know that Interscope gave Will the best promotion they could for him, it ain't just about the sales it's about the effort putting into it, I don't think it would hurt Will's image as an mc either, it'd show people that he ain't just trying to get hits, even if "Parter Starter" flopped he'd still release "Tell Me Why" but it looks like Will's trying to be safe for a hit, Interscope's hurting Will's image still, if you ain't helping you're hurting... Will worked hard on the album, the label should've done their part, they only gave about 20% instead of 100% to match Will's 100%, I'm dissatified that they didn't work as hard as he did in helping promote the album... Honestly "Party Starter" didn't do well 'cause it didn't get played, not everyone knew it even came out, it debuted on TRL one day and you never saw it again, so if you missed it that day, you wouldn't even knew it came out, I knew a lot of people would like "Parter Starter" if they heard it 'cause it's 10X better than "Switch", those who slept on his lyrical skills would open their eyes, radio stations wouldn't break it in that much 'cause it was selling less than 10,000 albums a week when it came out, they only play who's on top of the charts, does anybody seriously have a top 20 single if they're selling 10,000 albums a week? What was Interscope thinking? Release it at the moment where Will can't go out to perform it? It'd done much better if it came out early in the summer when "Lost and Found" was in the top 40 still and even if it didn't, "Tell Me Why" would've been a saving grace...

Now if he was selling 50,000 a week I bet they'd break it in more, radio play is based on record sales, they want to play the top selling artists out there at that moment, there was over 100 pop albums ahead of "Lost and Found" so pop radio wouldn't play it and you can't expect black radio to give it a chance when they didn't play "Switch" so "Party Starter" was destined to fail at that point, but when they release 50 Cent or Jay-Z singles, it hits the radio 3 months before the video comes sometimes, they could've sent it to the radio in the early summer and it'd get some buzz and more would buy the album until the video came out, that's another route they could've done but they like to sleep on Will Smith, if 50 Cent made this song it'd be song of the year, lol... Will was already shootin' his movie so he couldn't perform it at shows, I think "Switch" wouldn't be quite as successful if it wasn't performed so much, the video was not getting the airplay that a top 10 song in music should've gotten, it never made the top 10 one day on TRL or 106 & Park, that'd been an instant help if that got on there everyday, obviously fans don't influence those video countdowns as much as it's said they do 'cause a lot of people were feeling "Switch"...

Edited by bigted

also you have to remember that a little while after L&F was released (some time in august) there was a payola scandal (payola is paying a DJ to play your record) and that was the reason why the three major markets (NY, chicago, LA. I mentioned this in the podcast) were basically sounding the same. Now that (hopefully) payola is over, artists will be able to get fair airplay on the radio.

I hope they weren't upset about it, because everything he said was the truth, people should be giving Will respect for staying true to himself all these years, he keeps it real better than all the gangsta rappers, because he stays true to himself and doesn't change for anything.

When he was quoted as saying he doesn't care about the sales anymore, he just wants to put his music out there without restrictions

If they take it negatively, then they have their priorities "Switched" up, but what do we expect from all the years of us witnessing how Sony/Columbia went about releasing singles, promotions and etc,... Im not suprised that Will has taken this attitude, which in my opinion, is pretty cooL actually...

Im glad WS feels this way, because we need more artists to kick out music comin from their heart & souL ... without what I call "Universal" restriction thru a majour label...

peace,

cookie