JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Busta Refuses To Snitch To Police About Bodyguard's Death

bigted

Update: Bodyguard Went For The Gun, Busta Rhymes Won't Snitch To Cops

Wednesday - February 8, 2006 by Carl "H.D." Chery

Following his bodyguard's killing, Busta Rhymes promised that justice will prevail but reportedly won't talk to cops.

According to police sources, authorities now believe that Israel Ramirez was killed when he grabbed the assailant's firearm outside Brooklyn, NY's Kiss the Cactus Production studio while Busta stood nearby. Claurice Lara, Ramirez's sister, says Bus told her he was present when the shooting took place.

"Busta said he was there when it happened," Lara told The Daily News. "He said he would do everything in his power to get justice."

Busta (born Trevor Smith) spoke to cops when the shooting occurred and told authorities he was inside when the shots were fired. According to The Daily News, sources say he has refused to talk since witnesses have placed him on the scene of the shooting.

"Busta Rhymes' form of justice apparently doesn't mean talking to cops," a police source told the Daily News.

Word is the rapper promised to pay for the funeral bills and said he would try to help provide for Ramirez's three children. He didn't give details on the shooting.

"I think he knew something that he wasn't able to tell me," Lara told The Daily News. "But that's up to him. That's his conscience. If he's a God man, like he swore to me he was on the phone, I think he'll do the right thing."

Cops are still hoping to talk with Tony Yayo, who reportedly came and drove off with the shooter. Yayo has retained an attorney and is tight-lipped on the incident.

Investigators were analyzing video footage taken inside the studio prior to the shooting and were looking to subpoena surveillance tapes that may have filmed the shooting. Police are also hoping fans and hangers-on who taped the video shoot will come forward with key footage.

According to The Daily News, Ramirez didn't carry a weapon. His family said he usually sported a bulletproof vest when working with Busta, but didn't wear one because he didn't expect violence at the video shoot.

Ramirez's funeral is slated to take place in New York's Church of Ascension. Busta is expected to attend.

Ramirez's killing apparently isn't the only incident Busta was involved in this past weekend. Reports are surfacing that Busta and his four bodyguards assaulted a photographer shortly after leaving a Manhattan restaurant this past Friday (February 3). Photographer Justin Baggoo claims the rapper quickly became hostile when he attempted to snap a photo.

"When [busta] saw me, he rushed to me and one of the bodyguards came around me and grabbed me," Baggoo told The Daily News. "He grabbed me by the hand and they started to check me. [busta] just came directly to me, and then he grabbed me by the hand and one of the bodyguards took the camera from me and it hit against a glass [wall] on the bank."

Baggoo claims Busta's bodyguard pushed his hand on the wall, causing his $10,000 digital camera to fall and crash on a ledge.

"[busta] was telling me he did not want his picture to be taken," revealed Baggoo. "I was scared."

Baggoo also contends that one of the security guards twisted the lens and snatched the disk out of the camera before the group walked back to the SUV. The photographer says he then called 911 before one of the bodyguard returned, warning him not to start trouble by alerting the cops. Once he hung up, another guard gave him back the disk. Baggoo later told cops, "I was just to the point where I wanted them to leave me alone. His picture wasn't worth it."

A representative for Busta Rhymes had no comment.

I don't understand why Busta wouldn't tell who did it if he was a witness, do y'all think maybe Yayo might've done it? :hmm:

What does Murder Inc have anything to do the shooting of the bodyguard? They weren't there at the scene of the shooting at the scene of the music video, Tony Yayo was there though, Busta Rhymes was collabing with G Unit for the song and Swizz Beatz was there 'cause he produced it, maybe one of them shot the bodyguard but maybe Busta doesn't want to admit that, Busta was the peace maker so it wasn't him but it had to be one of them, that's why he's afraid to admit it, it's a damn shame to see what hip-hop has become, Busta tries to bring the peace of hip-hop by collabing with G Unit but yet violence happen....

Edited by bigted

Well don't be surprised if your boy Yayo was involved in it since he just came out of jail recently anyway.... :paperbag: Busta should stop rolling with G Unit, he don't deserve to be in the middle of the drama like this, obviously these artists are so ignorant that they rather stay shooting in the streets instead of making music, I hope they get locked up so that true artists who live a clean life could get a chance to take their place on top of the music world, this is ridiculous, if these rappers got beef they should keep it on the mic, they should look at Jay and Nas, that's how they have to be, they have to squash beef and get together and use their talents in a positive matter damn it!!! Busta needs to step up and say who did it or I'm gonna lose respect for him, someone died, whoever did it needs to be locked up whether they're famous or not, they need to pay for their crime but then again maybe Yayo threatened Busta so I could understand why Busta wouldn't say anything...

Edited by bigted

Busta is keeping code with Hood 101..."don't snitch." However, like the reporter said, as spiritual person, i'm sure he'll lead them 2 who did it. It could also be a public cover up but that he has or plans on tell them who is responsible 4 the shooting. As a famous emcee, it's dangerous 2 make moves like that cuz we all know how common it is for greedy unfamous rap entorage cats 2 do whatever it take 4 their famous counter part.

From what I understand about the incident, apparently Yayo got into it with Swizz Beatz and from there violence erupted. It's a real shame because someone has died because of some petty nonsense.

I was rather surprised that Busta would even be collaborating G-Unit but hey I guess Busta gotta stay relevent. If he does know who did it or was a witness then he needs to help the authorities on this. This is not about "hood 101" and not snitching, it's about bringing justice to a family who has lost a loved one. Have we not learned anything from the deaths of Biggie & Tupac? Their murders remained unsolved and there is no real peace & justice for the respective families.

I personally like Busta and have been a fan of his music since he was with Leaders Of The New School. I just hope that whoever did it would be brought to justice and there could be closure for the family and for Busta. This is going to hang over his head until the murder is solved.

This better not turn into another rap war!! Busta needs to reach out to other positive brothers like Chuck D, LL, and JJFP and stay away from the G-Unit clowns who rather run the streets than focus on music, I hope the industry bans G-Unit, I'm sick of hearing about them all the time, everybody talks about the negativity they do and they ignore talking about the positive things that real mcs like Will do, people love controversey so much, that's why things are the way they are...

Edited by bigted

Here's more details, Busta didn't go to his bodyguard's wake, it also mentions that Yayo ran away with the shooter, I also remember hear a DJ on Hot 97 saying a couple days ago that he was at a G Unit party for the Super Bowl, now that was hours after Busta's bodyguard got murdered before their eyes? They got no heart if they're gonna go party after that....

Busta Rhymes A No-Show At Bodyguard's Wake

Thursday - February 9, 2006 by Carl "H.D." Chery

In addition to angering the Ramirez family with his lack of cooperation, Busta Rhymes pulled a no show at the wake of his slain bodyguard Israel Ramirez yesterday (February 8).

Authorities believe Busta was standing by Ramirez when he was fatally shot outside of Brooklyn's Kiss the Cactus Production studio this past Sunday.

"They're not knocking on our door to talk to us," New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly told reporters in regards to Bus and other potential witnesses present during the incident.

The rapper initially told cops he was inside when the shooting took place and hasn't talked to cops since witnesses have placed him at the scene of the shooting. Tony Yayo, who is believed to have left the scene with the shooter, also refuses to talk to cops. Police believe Busta's refusal to cooperate is preventing other witnesses from coming forward with key information.

"They have a code in the industry," a police source told the New York Daily News. "You don't talk to cops. if you do, your career tanks."

Meanwhile, at Ramirez's wake yesterday, the bodyguard's brother-in-law Shawn Reynolds criticized Busta and Yayo for their silent treatment.

"You think people making all of this money, they'd leave the ghetto out of them," Reynolds told the Daily News at the Century Cremation and Funeral Services. "You'd think they're making millions of dollars, they'd learn to be civilized."

Word is Busta told Ramirez's sister he would do anything in his power to make sure justice prevails. Other reports say he first told Ramirez's widow, Amelin Ramirez, he wasn't sure he could help.

"How are you going to say that when the husband of the woman you're talking to lost his life trying to protect you?" Reynolds added.

Authorities believe Ramirez was attempting to grab the gunman's firearm when he was fatally shot. Though Busta said he would appear at the wake, the rapper pulled a no show, further frustrating Ramirez's family. Baby Sham, a member of Busta's Flipmode Squad was the only affiliate to show up. Sham wasn't on location when Ramirez was gunned down.

"He gave up his life for them," Jenny Fernadez, Ramirez's sister-in-law, asked angrily at the wake. "Where are all these people? My nephew's thinking his daddy's coming home. Daddy's not coming home."

Edited by bigted

Busta Rhymes Issues Statement, Police Say Two Weapons Fired

By Nolan Strong

Date: 2/10/2006 7:50 am

Rapper Busta Rhymes has issued a statement about an early morning shooting last Sunday (Feb. 5) that took the life of his longtime bodyguard.

Authorities believe an argument between Ruff Ryders President Swizz Beatz and Tony Yayo and G-Unit sparked a deadly shooting on the set of a video shoot for Busta Rhymes' single "Touch It (Remix)."

The argument spilled out onto the street and now police say two weapons were fired.

Authorities said eight rounds were fired from a .45 and five more were shot from another weapon.

Ramirez, 29, was struck once in the hail of bullets and fatally wounded.

"I have sent my condolences to the Ramirez family during this time," Busta Rhymes told AllHipHop.com in a statement issued by his attorney, Robert I. Kalina.

Busta Rhymes said Ramirez, 29, was more than just a security guard and labeled him "one of the rare friends that you come across that you can trust with your life."

"The conversations I have had with Izzy's wife have all been focused on comforting her and helping her get through this," Busta Rhymes said. "To that end, I've assured her that I will be taking responsibility in making sure that my friend, a devoted husband and a loving father, is laid to rest in a proper fashion."

Wakes for the slain bodyguard were held on Wednesday (Feb. 8) and Thursday (Feb. 9) in New York.

Busta Rhymes immediately drew criticism for not attending the first wake, but the rapper did attend the second day of services flanked by four bodyguards, where friends and family paid their last respects to Ramirez.

The rapper also offered an explanation for his absence at the first wake for Ramirez.

"Out of respect for the family's desire for, and right to, privacy during this mourning period I made the decision to attend Izzy's wake on the second day rather than the first, knowing that my presence [on Feb 8.] would have brought unnecessary media attention to a personal and private time of grieving," Busta Rhymes said.

Funeral services for Ramirez are scheduled to take place today (Feb. 10) at the Church of the Ascension in New York.

While over 500 people were on the set of the video shoot in the Greenpoint section of Brooklyn, N.Y., witnesses, have been reluctant to come forward to speak to police.

Busta Rhymes initially told police he was inside the studio with other celebrities when the shooting took place, but other witnesses placed Busta Rhymes just feet from Ramirez when he was shot.

While the rapper expressed his sympathy for the family, he made no mention of when - or if - he intends to speak with police about the shooting.

"Beyond this [statement] I have no further remarks to make at this time," Busta Rhymes concluded.

Authorities believe the gunmen are associates of Queens, New York rapper Tony Yayo.

Yayo has refused to speak to police about the shooting, according to his lawyer, Scott Leemon.