JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why didn't black radio play "Party Starter"?

bigted

What up y'all I've been listening occasionally over the past couple months to Hot 97 and see if they'd play "Party Starter" but they didn't play it while they play all 50's watered down crap a million times that makes "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" sound hardcore, I don't get why they're so resistant to Will all the time, it's dissapointing that they ignored "Party Starter" 'cause it was the rawest hip-hop single that came out recently. :thumbdown:

Juelz Santana's "Whistle Song" is 'bout just as catchy as "Switch" but it gets a lot of airplay on Hot 97, I swear if Jay-Z made "Party Starter" Hot 97'd play it all day and play it years ahead like they play "Big Pimpin'" still once in a while, they play everything by Luda too so I wonder why they wouldn't play "Party Starter" especially since Luda produced it? It's probably a label thing, it seems that everything on Def Jam and Aftermath gets the most airplay, they got a lot of paper so they probably pay radio stations to play their artists, that's why LL gets airplay now even though he don't curse on his recent songs but they diss Will for not cursing and call him soft, if he was on Def Jam they wouldn't say that I bet, JJFP shoulda been on Def Jam instead of Jive when they started their career, maybe that'd helped their credability in the long run. I think I might make a blog blasting black radio for ignoring Will, if the media in general wasn't so resistant in playing Will's songs and he was on the cover of hip-hop mags instead of 50 and Kanye, "Lost and Found" would've been the highest selling album this year, it's amazing that Will continues recording even though he constantly gets hated on and they all say he should just stick to movies...

Edited by bigted

I would probably be able to understand why they didn't play the video...

Yeah there wasn't enough half naked chicks, ice, trucks with rims, and throwback jerseys like all popular rap videos are supposed to have, Will shoulda made the video like "Big Pimpin'". :bat: Why didn't even mainstream pop radio play it? Did they think it was too "hard" for Will to do? I bet even if Will releases "Pump Ya Brakes" with Snoop black radio still won't play it, do you think they'd played "Party Starter" if Luda had a verse in it and not just produced it?

Edited by bigted

A little bit of eveyrthing I think. "Party Starter" had bad promotional timing. Everybody said it was a summer song. Maybe Will should have made a song called "Wintertime" or something. But everybody is going to say the same thing... "Why is Will trying to come back out?" He's been out. Whether Will's had millions of dollars or not a penny to his name, he'd still be releasing music, if you catch my drift. I'm very proud to be a JJFP/Will Smith fan, and to own all of the cds I do.

"But Will if you come too high/that'll alienate folks and they won't buy it!" is such a real quotable, I mean Will released a pure hip-hop single that has been alienated by those that want to hear another "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" but yet so-called "black" stations don't support it either, Will's more "street" than most of those they play on there in my opinion, these so called gangstas get major airplay talkin' 'bout how hardcore they are when they hide behind bodyguards in real life, Will don't front like that. It seems like the commercial rap media has sold out on Will, everything he says or does seems to alienate him from them, if he criticises the state of the rap game or if him continually to not curse in his songs when basically everyone else in the rap game does they put him down for it. They used to be kissing his ass back in the days, now they're too busy talking about how great Em and 50 are while millions are like sheep and believe the hype, but when Will's the last one standing they'll gradually come around! Will was one of the few that made it possible for rappers to get airplay anywhere so it's sad to see how they've sold out on him, he shouldn't have to complain about not getting airplay.

Edited by bigted

he keeps it real. not like fiddy or other pathetic morons who rap bout how tough they are when they are cowards hiding behind baboons. he grew on the streets just like all of them but his streets were better than they are now. like he said, kids are comin with guns to school. back then it wasn't like dat. it's because of rappers like fifty, tony yayo and others that kids keep on bringin guns to school and because of radios who bump them. will sticks to true rap. he still returns to da game even when his sales are pretty low. who thought that he would return after born to reign flopped? in my opinion, it's good dat will doesn't get airplay with morons like g-unit. he is above them and will always be cuz he loves rapping and despite the movies he will still release albums even if the flopp. :word:

Yeah Will represents the "casual street" peeps that ain't involved with gangs or drugs who find other ways to survive and raises their families, that's keepin' it real too. All those gangsta rappers make commercial songs too so I don't understand how people could diss Will for makin' "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" like he's the only one to make those type of songs, if they heard Will's albums they'd see that most of his songs don't sound like that, that's why I think Will's haters are ignorant 'cause they don't know anything about him. If he's a sellout I can't think of anybody that's real, he's not afraid to speak his mind and I think a lot of rappers are too scared worried about if people'll diss them and they're just worried about selling records, he has the balls to diss gangsta rappers glorifying a fake image when most rappers are kissing up to them right now and that's the definition of being real to me. I'll continually bump JJFP with pride no matter how many fools around me bump G Unit!

Edited by bigted

http://blog.jazzyjefffreshprince.com/2005/...-isnt-it-a-hit/

I found the blog that Tim wrote there and added some my comments I made in this thread plus came up with a couple more to get my point across better:

"that’s the problem with a lot of rappers they do the same thing all the time, will’s always been a versatile mc, he could outrhyme any of those so called “real rappers” that get heavy airplay on black radio all day, will doesn’t put himself into a corner to do the same thing all the time, he stands at the top alone and deserves more credit by his peers. i wonder if ll cool j would start being ignored by black radio if his movies started doing as well as will’s movies?"