JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why didn't black radio play "Party Starter"?

bigted

While the promotion for the single was pretty poor, the main reason has to be that people just don't think Will is "real." He's not talkin' about guns, drugs, or sex, I mean, that is all that gets attention these days just about. How is he not real or how is he a sellout if he has been in the game just about 20 years, kept making music, and has never swayed from the standard he has set, he hasn't sold out to the gangsta image of rap today. He is more "real" than pretty much anyone else in the game today.

I think the reason why LL Cool J might get on black radio still and Will doesn't is 'cause Will has been more passionate about criticising gangsta rap and LL hasn't really done that but if LL starts making more statements like he did in that article when he was interviewed at hip-hop honors he might not get airplay anymore on black radio either.

Edited by bigted

That's why I think Will should battle some of those gangsta rap gimmicks that hurt his popularity instead of being friends with them 'cause then everyone would truely see that he's the most skilled in the game now but on the other hand those battle tracks might not get on black radio so they might end up winning that way, lol.

it's because of rappers like fifty, tony yayo and others that kids keep on bringin guns to school

That ain`t got nothing to do with 50. As far as i know he doesn`t even sells allot in the streets where the kids walk with guns. Over there Artists like D-Block,Murda Inc.,Dipset and Terror Squad sell more. You can call them wack but they allways have some Songs with a message just like Pac did. 50 and his Gay-Unit aren`t selling allot over there. They got no street cred at all. They sell almost all they records to some teens form regular standarts juts like you and me. I think even Will sells more Records in "the hood" than they do.

I agree it`s 50`s and thems fault that many Kids like us think violence is cool. But it`s not caus of him that it is that way in the hood, lol

50 is wack. Will is realer than almost everyone else in the game. But please don`t blame artits like 50 and the G-Unit for things they didn`t do. That is just as ignorant as what people do with Will!!

I think the reason why LL Cool J might get on black radio still and Will doesn't is 'cause Will has been more passionate about criticising gangsta rap and LL hasn't really done that but if LL starts making more statements like he did in that article when he was interviewed at hip-hop honors he might not get airplay anymore on black radio either.

Bull**** too,lol

LL doesn`t say allot against Gangsta Rap because of one simple reason. He likes it. He likes to listen to Snoop,Terror Squad and them. What he said recently isn`t realy against Gangsta Rap. He just said we need more balance. He would say the same thing if we would only have Party Booper Nelly Style Songs, I think.

And even if he would say something. They still would play them. I know Will deserves as much honor as Ll doe`s but tha fact is that LL still gets much more. LL can do whatever tha **** he wants and they still would play them. Eveen if he would diss them they would play him or they would get dissed from like 40 % of the Rap Undusitry :lolsign:

Edited by Turntable

it's because of rappers like fifty, tony yayo and others that kids keep on bringin guns to school

That ain`t got nothing to do with 50. As far as i know he doesn`t even sells allot in the streets where the kids walk with guns. Over there Artists like D-Block,Murda Inc.,Dipset and Terror Squad sell more. You can call them wack but they allways have some Songs with a message just like Pac did. 50 and his Gay-Unit aren`t selling allot over there. They got no street cred at all. They sell almost all they records to some teens form regular standarts juts like you and me. I think even Will sells more Records in "the hood" than they do.

I agree it`s 50`s and thems fault that many Kids like us think violence is cool. But it`s not caus of him that it is that way in the hood, lol

50 is wack. Will is realer than almost everyone else in the game. But please don`t blame artits like 50 and the G-Unit for things they didn`t do. That is just as ignorant as what people do with Will!!

Bull**** too,lol

LL doesn`t say allot against Gangsta Rap because of one simple reason. He likes it. He likes to listen to Snoop,Terror Squad and them. What he said recently isn`t realy against Gangsta Rap. He just said we need more balance. He would say the same thing if we would only have Party Booper Nelly Style Songs, I think.

And even if he would say something. They still would play them. I know Will deserves as much honor as Ll doe`s but tha fact is that LL still gets much more. LL can do whatever tha **** he wants and they still would play them. Eveen if he would diss them they would play him or they would get dissed from like 40 % of the Rap Undusitry :lolsign:

And 14 Shots to the dome was unmistakebly a gangsta album correct me if Im wrong.

Yeah I don't think G Unit tells black radio to not play Will, it's more of the rap media and radio programmers that has just shoved Will to the side especially since he doesn't specifically respond back in songs to the haters the way that other rappers like LL Cool J do so that makes him look "soft" in their eyes, waiting 5 years to respond to Eminem has only hurt his image in the rap media, if he attacked Em 5 years ago in a song maybe we wouldn't be having this discussion now. Will basically shares the same opinion as LL when it comes to gangsta rap, he likes it too 'cause he has collabed with Lil' Kim, Snoop, and Luda but he's upset that gangsta rap is being overplayed and wants more balance on the radio but Will's been more vocal about that then LL has, maybe being vocal about how he doesn't curse on record so much might have irritated the media. LL has kept that opinion to himself mostly, he won't discuss about how he doesn't curse on songs unless someone brings it up in an interview, btw "14 Shots To The Dome" wasn't a gangsta rap album, none of LL's albums are gangsta rap albums. Will outsells most of those on black radio anyway so I guess we shouldn't make this much of an issue about it, the funny thing about it is that most of the people who listen to black radio ain't even from the 'hood, they're mostly teenagers from the suburbs.

Edited by bigted

he doesn't specifically respond back in songs to the haters the way that other rappers like LL Cool J

I think you`r right in you`r whole post. But I like to say something about this:

The thing is that Will has his emotions more in control. Will doesn`t realy cares about haters. He doesn^t demand respect caus he knows that he still sells more than most other Mc`s.

LL also sells like that.. But LL demands respect. Theer is no Mc that get`s that angry if you diss him lile LL. Stuff like that really pisses him of. You clearly can hear that on "The Ripper Returns" and "Mama Said Knock You Out". Will could do that but he doesn`t want to. Caus he doesn`t realy cares about what people thinka bout him, I think.

Edited by Turntable

I think LL has more control over what tracks to release as singles than Will does, Will makes a lot of battle tracks too, I'm sure that Will probably wanted to release "Don't Say Nothin" as a single but Columbia probably told him to release "Miami" instead which turned out to help sell records anyway so that didn't affect that but I think that his rep would be stronger if he got "Don't Say Nothin'" out there and it became a huge hit, maybe the media would recognise Will's battlin' skills more than what they've had. Probably when Will was on Jive he wanted to release "Somethin' Like Dis" but they probably told him to release "Boom...", he talks about how much he doesn't like that song so obviously it probably wasn't his choice as a single. LL on the other hand always finds a way to get battle tracks released to the airwaves, it probably comes down to a label issue, LL has control to release what he wants and Will doesn't, Def Jam has treated LL with more respect than any label Will has ever been on in his career, if LL left Def Jam and went somewhere else years ago maybe he wouldn't have the creative freedom, but maybe if his albums started floppin' it would've been a different story where Def Jam would've dumped him the way they did to Public Enemy which is a whole another story but this issue comes down to $$$$ more than anything, rappers don't control what goes on airwaves, record labels and radio programmers do, if Interscope promoted the record right "Party Starter" would've got play everywhere.

Edited by bigted

I think LL has more control over what tracks to release as singles than Will does, Will makes a lot of battle tracks too, I'm sure that Will probably wanted to release "Don't Say Nothin" as a single but Columbia probably told him to release "Miami" instead which turned out to help sell records anyway so that didn't affect that but I think that his rep would be stronger if he got "Don't Say Nothin'" out there and it became a huge hit, maybe the media would recognise Will's battlin' skills more than what they've had. Probably when Will was on Jive he wanted to release "Somethin' Like Dis" but they probably told him to release "Boom...", he talks about how much he doesn't like that song so obviously it probably wasn't his choice as a single. LL on the other hand always finds a way to get battle tracks released to the airwaves, it probably comes down to a label issue, LL has control to release what he wants and Will doesn't, Def Jam has treated LL with more respect than any label Will has ever been on in his career, if LL left Def Jam and went somewhere else years ago maybe he wouldn't have the creative freedom, but maybe if his albums started floppin' it would've been a different story where Def Jam would've dumped him the way they did to Public Enemy which is a whole another story but this issue comes down to $$$$ more than anything, rappers don't control what goes on airwaves, record labels and radio programmers do, if Interscope promoted the record right "Party Starter" would've got play everywhere.

Nope they wouldn`t start control LL`s Singles if he would start to flop. They can`t. In that recent Source Artikl is something about that LL is one of the only Artits in the muisk biz that controls onw publishing or something like that. He has 100%. And besides that i don`t think they would ever dump LL. Russel showed him so much respect by by giving him those rights. And Jigga didn`t change that. LL`s is so powerfull in Def Jam i think.

Edited by Turntable