JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will urges rappers to become role models

I wonder if the gangstarapper in the audience and the nominated fellas like Fifty, Eminem, G-unit and so on will be offended like Eminem was when Will said the thing about coming up without using foul language.

I hope 50 cent, eminem etc are in the audience to see it

Quite a bit jumped out at me with that article. Will said 'black Americans' are one of the highest things to the people he visited. And that all those gangster rappers don't realize what power they have. What I wonder, is that if they realize they have it, will they use it for something better and good and for their own damn self and continue to be greedy, ignorant, conceited, or whatever each one of them breaks down to be?

And that "squeaky clean" remark is getting on my nerves. I guess if your an African-American and you rap, U just gotta be the one to say cuss words in your music. When rap was born, there was no standard that said you had to cuss. It's not a standard in anything else in life, so why does it apply to rap? I just don't understand that.

I think this will be the greatest BET awards we'll see in a long time because of the positives and negatives going into this event.

Edited by mfuqua23

Aww man, that article is on fire! Will tells the truth. hes really wise. i wonder what the reaction from all those gangsta rappers will be.

haha, i just try to imagine Em and Will on stage...

that will surely be one of the best award shows ever (i havent even watched any BET award show yet...)

Wouldnt it be dope when Will calls out Jeff onto the stage to perform? just imagine. before he calls him out, he should talk a lil bit about him and how it was back in da day. Not like on the other performances where Jazzy is already on the tables in the background.

JJFP Rock The House

I agree with fuq, it gets kinda annoying to hear the media say that Will's a "squeaky clean rapper" 'cause he ain't the only rapper out there not cursing in his rhymes, people don't call Rakim a "squeaky clean rapper" but the albums he did with Eric B. including the one of the greatest albums ever "Paid In Full" had no PA stickers on them either, but they don't say that about Rakim probably 'cause he ain't as popular as Will, I think it's just jealousy by the media, I hope Will performs "I Wish I Made That" tonight, that'd be quite a statement right there! :chuks:

Yeah, great statements by Will, he really knows what he is talking about. Hopefully, people understand his message and realize that fame should be used for positives. Can't wait for the BET Awards tonight!

hey! no problem guys! I was surpirsed cuz this was on the front page of Yahoo news. Pretty big right there. Plus, other rap boards are given him props on this one too. This article showed to me he really cares about the image black Americans are sending to children and other blacks aroud the world. If other rappers are smart enough, they'll take Will's statement into consideration. But then again, nowadays money runs music, and whne that happens any creativity and decency goes out the door.

It's nice to see Will give props to Common and Mos Def for putting it down even though they don't make it on 106 & Park, it shows that he recognizes talented artists even when they ain't that popular, I wish he'd give more props to underground rappers too that're working hard to keep the essence of hip-hop alive of being role models for the people that listen to them 'cause when Will speaks, people listen.

U know what, I just noticed something.

"Will urges rappers to become role models"

It'd probably be better stated as positive role models, because no matter what, we are all role models to somebody out there. It may be for 5 seconds, it may be 5 years, it may be 5 lifetimes (ok a bit much). I remember my teacher made an example out of Charles Barkley. Barkley said he's not a role model for kids, so he can do whatever he wants (or something like that), but really (whether he likes it or not, he is).

Same deal with Tupac comes to mind. He had the same attitude for a point. "I do whatever I like, I'm not a role model" - from 'Pac's Theme' (Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z...) That was taken from some interview excert I would imagine.

So these rappers are role models to at least somebody. It's just a matter of them knowing it and doing something about it, may that be positive or negative.