JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kids Don't Know Who Jazzy Jeff Is????

I'm watching 106 & Park(Friday's show) and Free tells the audience that the Old School Joint video is coming up and that it's a "Summertime" classic.

The trivia question for the old school joint goes as follows:

Can you name the DJ whose real name is Jeff Townes?

Free was a bit startled that very few people had their hands up to answer. So she brings on this guy and a girl to answer the trivia question. She goes to the guy first and reads the question. The guy's answer... DJ Clue.

:cussing: :eek4: [color=red]DJ CLUE?!?!?!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW WHO DJ JAZZY JEFF IS???[/color]

I was so disgutsted. Needless to say the girl got it right but she looked like she was over 21. This is why rap today sucks. These kids don't know about the pioneers of hip-hop. They don't know the history. All they know is what's hot now(50,Luda, etc.) They don't even understand that if it weren't for the pioneers paving the way then these cats wouldn't even be able to make music. Edited by TopDawg14

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really sad....but at the same time, not everybody knows waz Jazzy Jeff's real name is. It's not like the whole Fresh Prince - Will Smith thing where everybody knows both names. Jeff also isn't a mainstream artist these days so younger kids aren't exposed 2 him in a big way. It's still kinda depressing since Code Red is about 10 years old AND Jeff dose stay busy in a way that people should know about him.

I saw that show on Friday too and I was quite disappointed too that the guy didn't know Jazzy Jeff's real name, which is Jeff Townes, but at the same time I realise that a lot of the fans that are in the audience have been sucked in to only mainstream hip-hop that's out now! Even a lot of the freestyle battles on that show could get kind of weak sometimes 'cause all the winner has to do is shout out Free, AJ, and DJ Enuff during the freestyle to get the win and that's wack! :cussing: I don't watch 106&Park that much as I used to and I don't watch Direct Effect on MTV 'cause it becomes rather repetitive and uninteresting to watch 'cause most of my fav. videos/artists don't get airplay. 106&Park showed Erick Sermon's new video one time and nobody ever voted for it to get on the countdown! Hip-hop fans are too ignorant these days! :nhawong:

[quote=bigted,May 18 2004, 05:18 AM]I saw that show on Friday too and I was quite disappointed too that the guy didn't know Jazzy Jeff's real name, which is Jeff Townes, but at the same time I realise that a lot of the fans that are in the audience have been sucked in to only mainstream hip-hop that's out now! Even a lot of the freestyle battles on that show could get kind of weak sometimes 'cause all the winner has to do is shout out Free, AJ, and DJ Enuff during the freestyle to get the win and that's wack! :cussing: I don't watch 106&Park that much as I used to and I don't watch Direct Effect on MTV 'cause it becomes rather repetitive and uninteresting to watch 'cause most of my fav. videos/artists don't get airplay. 106&Park showed Erick Sermon's new video one time and nobody ever voted for it to get on the countdown! Hip-hop fans are too ignorant these days! :nhawong:[/quote]
Don´t act as if DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince weren´t mainstream back in the day.

Guest Prince
[quote=TopDawg14,May 18 2004, 05:21 AM]:cussing:  :eek4: [color=red]DJ CLUE?!?!?!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW WHO DJ JAZZY JEFF IS???[/color][/quote]
You mean to say I've been buying the wrong peoples albums all along? :confused: Edited by Prince

[quote=Daedalus Mortality,May 18 2004, 11:34 AM]well.....DUH I could have told you that right away lol, how come everyone on this board is allways crying about pretty logical things.

Name ONE song people could know jeff from? LET ALONE HIS REAL NAME[/quote]
- For Da Love of Da Game
- Pump Me Up
- I Wanna Rock

This is where i step in and stress that Hip-Hop and Rap are 2 different things. Hip-Hop music is music (any kind of music) that comes from people who came up in a Hip-Hop environment. Rap is usually Hip-Hop music but anybody from Mary J. Blige to TLC are Hip-Hop artists cuz of where they are coming from. Anybody can rap, but that dosen't make them Hip-Hop.

These days, people who are only exposed 2 mainstream rap often have no idea what Hip-Hop music is these days.