JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL Cool J (vs) Will Smith

Who's the better rapper&actor?For me damn LL Cool J's newest cd the definition is hot!But overall will smith takes this 1 in both categories!

Edited by markwinfield1

I'd say Will's a better actor than LL 'cause he's done bigger films than LL has, while LL has done a lot of films in his career, but has been sorta the co-star and not the one with the major role and #1 films, I heard that he's working on a film with Queen Latifah so that could change things, that could be big. As an mc though I think LL is more respected than FP 'cause he's been known to be more versatile and his acting career hasn't overshadowed his mc status unlike FP, but I think that'll change once FP puts out "Lost & Found" and takes some time off acting to tour, overall I'd say it's too close to call 'cause they're both on top having mainstream success after comin' out 2 decades ago, they're the only ones besides Queen Latifah to do that, I hope that she comes with a hip-hop album again soon.

As an actor, FP has proven himself...so LL didn't have a chance in that category. When it comes 2 the mic, i don't really think one of them is better than the other. They have their own styles and i think they are equally as good. But FP is my fav...so i'll just say him.

I'd say Will's a better actor than LL 'cause he's done bigger films than LL has, while LL has done a lot of films in his career, but has been sorta the co-star and not the one with the major role and #1 films, I heard that he's working on a film with Queen Latifah so that could change things, that could be big. As an mc though I think LL is more respected than FP 'cause he's been known to be more versatile and his acting career hasn't overshadowed his mc status unlike FP, but I think that'll change once FP puts out "Lost & Found" and takes some time off acting to tour, overall I'd say it's too close to call 'cause they're both on top having mainstream success after comin' out 2 decades ago, they're the only ones besides Queen Latifah to do that, I hope that she comes with a hip-hop album again soon.

:werd: I agree. LL is more respected in the game simply because FP's movies kinda killed his status of a regular rapper that keeps rollin out albums every 1-2 .years. FP took to long of breaks...93-97, 99-02, 02-05...etc. Thats gonna kill you eventually. Columbia also took away his credability because of the way he was promoted. Every album was led by a movie soundtrack song. Not the way to go. I have to go with JJFP though. LL is my 2nd favorite emcee of all time though. I love "14 shots to the Dome". Thats like my 2nd "Code Red".

I think LL said a few times that "14 Shots To The Dome" was his worst album, he said that he wasn't focused when he made it. It's one of the few LL albums that I never heard, I got most of them, "Mama Said Knock You Out" is my favorite one, that hasnice balance like Code Red, although I like the other ones a lot too. Run-

Dmc, LL Cool J, and JJFP were the most instrumental in helping hip-hop cross over, nuff props to all of them. :peace:

Edited by bigted

I think LL said a few times that "14 Shots To The Dome" was his worst album, he said that he wasn't focused when he made it. It's one of the few LL albums that I never heard, I got most of them, "Mama Said Knock You Out" is my favorite one, that hasnice balance like Code Red, although I like the other ones a lot too. Run-

Dmc, LL Cool J, and JJFP were the most instrumental in helping hip-hop cross over, nuff props to all of them. :peace:

Really? wow...any of these interviews online somewhere?

I love "14 shots to the dome" simply because its just like "Code Red". Sure LL is being more political and what not, but hes giving good messages and hes not "trying to be gangsta" like I've read from reviews online. He's just comin' at ya with the '93 sound...like JJFP, Latifah...etc.

LL has said that 14 Shots To The Dome waz he most unfocused album. His career waz just kinda exhausted at that point. Going away then coming back. I love 14 Shots To The Dome. He said that it waz his weakest album, but that it did have it's strong moments. I remember he mentioned "Pink Cookies..." (one of my fav LL joints) and i think "Diggy Down."

At the same time, FP said Code Red didn't work becuz he waz lacking confiedence. He calls "Boom! Shake The Room" the weakest songs he's ever recorded. It just seems like alot of true skool emcees look back at that 'just after early 90's' era in a bad way. Commercially, people who listened 2 Hip-Hop now listened 2 gangsta rap. Old skool legends releaxed a lil' bit and focused more on their street edge (JJ+FP, LL, Queen Latifah, Run-DMC, UMC's)...all resulting in good music, but staggering sales (except 4 Latifah). I don't know, i think that dark era brought out alot of good music, but the artists who made it don't seem 2 feel that way.

hmmm

as an actor... Will over LL (easily)

as a rapper: it's a debatable one. However, Will been gaining support from rap heads more than LL has lately. People are all sayin LL has fallen off, and his two last solo efforts were less than great. People are also more quick to diss LL lately and more people actually defend Will's contributions to rap. I think right now, (and i'm not a huge fan of LL or Will's rapping (sorry guys) I have to go with Will. He's doin it it better than LL in music too.