JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Golden Globes

gosia

"Babel" leads Golden Globes with 7 nominations

Dec 14, 2006 — LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "Babel," a movie that explores cultural gaps among people around the world, earned seven nominations for Golden Globe awards on Thursday, including one for best film drama, to lead all other films.

Also on the list for top movie drama were crime thriller "The Departed," which earned six nominations overall, along with "Bobby," "Little Children" and "The Queen."

"Dreamgirls," which scored five nominations overall, was nominated for best movie musical or comedy, along with "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Devil Wears Prada," "Thank You For Smoking" and "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan."

The Golden Globe awards are given out annually by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, and are a key indicator of which movies will compete for Oscars, the film industry's top honors.

Nominees for best actor in a film drama were topped by Leonardo DiCaprio for two movies, "Blood Diamond" and "The Departed." He is joined by Peter O'Toole for "Venus," Will Smith in "The Pursuit of Happyness" and Forest Whitaker for "The Last King of Scotland."

The nominees for best actress in a film drama were Penelope Cruz for Spanish film "Volver," Maggie Gyllenhaal for "Sherrybaby," and three British actresses, Kate Winslet in "Little Children," Helen Mirren for "The Queen" and Judi Dench in "Notes on a Scandal.

Golden Globe winners will be named in a ceremony in Beverly Hills on January 15. The Oscars are given out by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and those winners will be named on February 25.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=2725943

Edited by MissAshley

As much as I want Will to win this is going to be one of those cases where he has absolutely no shot. Everyone has been raving about Forrest Whitaker's performance while Peter O'Toole & DiCaprio will be the sentimental favorites because neither has an Oscar.

I think the only way Will wins is if the voters are swayed by the real-life rags-to-riches story of Chris Garderner. It's a story that will have you in tears but ultimately feeling really good. If that type of story tugs at the voter's hearts then Will will get to hoist up his first acting award.

yeah!!! good for Wil but Leonardo seems big competition for the rest of the nominees. What do u think guys?

Well the pick of the critics is going to determine that, and since the critics have been

a nightmare for POH and will, I predict they will give the oscar to forrest whitacker, the critics favourite.

And hellen mirren will probably get the female oscar award for the queen.Last year was the same and the year before

the critics favourite was brokeback and the oscars agreed with that.I think will's chances to get an oscar this year is very slim.

They'll favourite forrest whitaker, and if not him, they'll favourite the departed with leo.

Edited by Typhoon20

whoever wrote under the topic that it's will's second golden globe nomination is wrong; he was already nominated twice for fresh prince in bel air and than again for ali so it's his fourth nom; :smart: :smart: :smart:

I wrote that this is his second nomination, considering it is his second nomination for Best Actor, I think I know what I'm talking about :sipread:

i know i got excited when i heard that name called (i watched the video of the nomination revieling). leo is one of my favorite actors for dramas, hes amazing almost every movie hes in wins an oscar or is nominated..... and hes in two catagories which makes it twice as hard for will to winn. as much as i want will to win (which i do) i wont be as upset if leo wins...

i think if will wins he will earn even more respect in the movie world, but if he does win, we might not see much more music.... or if he does win he might feel like he conquered his goal in movies and might try the same for music...i dont know..nobody does ....execpt for maybe will

p.s. would it be crazy if jaden got nominated for an oscar? highly unlikely though

i know i got excited when i heard that name called (i watched the video of the nomination revieling). leo is one of my favorite actors for dramas, hes amazing almost every movie hes in wins an oscar or is nominated..... and hes in two catagories which makes it twice as hard for will to winn. as much as i want will to win (which i do) i wont be as upset if leo wins...

Yeah, same here. I want Will ti win caus it's Will, but I wouldnt mind Leo winning, caus to me he's one of the most brilliant actor's, which Will isnt yet.