JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will's State in Rap

I was just thinking about Will and his presence in the rap game and the new album.

My points:

1. If Will wants to stay a force in the rap game like the late 90s, he needs to be consistent. That is the keyword people. Consistency is a key. Jordan didn't win those six rings by playing inconsistent. Will's rate of albums per years is every 3 years. Thats not good whatsoever. Not only does dropping an album every three years lose attention of your listeners, it also loses your credibilty as a rapper. Nobody remembers you the next year unless you keep hitting them with new material. Whether it'd be a single or a cameo apperance on a track, Will needs to be out there. Will is what? 38 years old? He needs to keep proving he can do this. Think about it, Dre is 41, Diddy is around 37 same with Jay-Z and Eminem is 35 as well. And they say Will is too old? "Switch" cleared the way for him but the way is crowded again. He needs to keep doing his thing.

2. Keep the Clubbangers coming. Barely anything on mainstream Rap has substance to it. We all know that. Will needs to keep the catchiest tracks coming. "Switch" to "Wild Wild West" to "Jiggy" ...y'all know what I mean. People remember the hooks. You need to have the people singing the hooks in their head to keep you in there minds. I think the problem with "Party Starter" and why it didnt do as well as "Switch" was there was just "too much" in it. Too long lyrics, keep it simple to the point.

3. Next album needs to be BIG. It's album number 10. Will can't sleep on this. Plus technically 2007 would be 20 years since Rock the House. Jeff needs to be all over this album production wise. If Will is going to have some guests, keep it to 2 or 3 and depending on the guest (lets say Snoop or Mary J) ..then its a defninite single. No question about that. Its not a bad idea to have another big name help you and your record out. Materialwise, Will needs to keep saying how he feels. One thing I loved about L+F was "Mr. Nice Guy" and how he called out people. He should keep doing it and stop calling shots out to a "general" crowd like on "Born to Reign" or "Dont Say Nothin"...you know what I mean. Let 'em know who the vet is. Other from that, the writing keeps getting better.

....just my thoughts. I dont know why, but I keep feeling like Will is done or almost near done with his music career. It just doesn't seem like he cares anymore.

i agree with most of what u said, i think he needs another switch like song, and he should keep guests to a minimum. I dont think it matters as much for Will to keep albums coming fast tho. With artists that just do music it is important bcoz people forget who they are, it doesnt matter so much for Will bcoz his movies keep him in the public eye.

i think Will will keep on doing music until something stops him, either no record label or no sales. i dont think hes lost interest, hes just concentrating on his successful career right now, which is fair enough. i think 2008, thats a year for music.

I don't even worry about Will's place in the rap game anymore since he don't seem to care about it, he ain't ever gonna get his due no matter what he does, JJFP did 5 albums in 7 years, that was like Jordan and Pippen winning those championships together, that was the prime of the career, if people can't give props for that run then he'll never get the props that he's due, I don't see him doing that much albums in that stretch anymore, maybe one album every 5 years if even that, it's like Jordan playing pick up games once in a while but that's it, he ain't really that much into the game anymore, acting is his new passion now, just like Ice Cube and Queen Latifah, nobody's really buying rap music anymore either but people'll watch movies forever, Will's a smart man, he's getting out before the music industry crumbles, nobody's gonna save rap, too much pressure in it, with movies he don't get any hate or criticism, he just does his thing, I realised that Max was right after all this time, he'd be a fool to give up acting for a feeble rap game....

As I'm getting older I'm becoming more accepting of things, there are really more important things in life then to worry about the place you are in the rap game, you have to do something that makes you happy in your life, I don't think doing albums every year is gonna make Will happy, it might make us happy of course but it might be too draining for him, he has to do what makes him happy at this point, it's his life, not ours, he ain't a robot or a rap machine, he has feelings too... I could really feel the frustration he had on the rap game in some of his on "Lost and Found", he ain't having as much fun as he used to, he won't have a happy life doing something that's gonna bring him stress. Rap ain't fun anymore since he always gets criticism in the rap community for being positive, rap has become one dimensional and only negative rappers get recognition, not skills, it'd take him selling over 100 million albums to equal the massive success that his movies get, it shouldn't be that way at all, his Hollywood career has overshadowed his rap career but he shouldn't worry much about it, easy for me to say since I ain't in his shoes. The thing is though that all the criticism probably gets to him as much as I hope that it wouldn't 'cause if I was in that position I could see how it might not be fun to rap much anymore 'cause whenever he raps he faces criticism, what's the point to rap if you're only rapping all the time against the criticism? That ain't fun, he's released a lot more classic albums than mostly every rapper ever has, he shouldn't have to prove anything at this point, he should get the recognition for what's he's done in the rap game already, how much does he have to do to get it?

Releasing 9 albums selling over 30 million albums, basically creating a path for other rappers to expand their careers into acting, and winning the 1st rap grammy ever in a span of 20 years should be good enough already but people overlook that to a degree, he might get a lil' bit more respect after releasing "Lost and Found",there's more hate than love still since he ain't thugged out like the other popular rappers it might be hard for some to accept him and there's really this backlash to a lot of older rappers for some reason by fans, record labels, and even some younger rappers which is sad to say,

Rhymefest talks about this in his blog on SOHH.com btw,there shouldn't be a clock for greatness, rappers should be able to go as long as they want to,

since majority of the rap consumers are younger they seem to only want to hear from rappers closer to their age which doesn't make sense, I'm discusted of my generation quite a bit, personally I don't give a damn if the artist is 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, or 70 years old, if that artist makes good music I support, I ain't gonna stop trying to get in the game either no matter how long it takes either, I don't care I'll rap for free and do something else with my life to survive, Will's probably still doing music in his crib, he might not want to share it with us fans anymore but that doesn't mean that he's stopped altogether I'm sure...

Being in the spotlight that long he desires to be loved for what he does, listen to "Could You Love Me" and you understand what he means, it's probably more fun to do movies 'cause he don't receive much criticism, people all ages and walks of life appreciate a good movie but it's really hard for certain people to accept a good rap album,we all could relate to that 'cause in our lives we want to do something that people'll appreciate and if we don't see people appreciating us for it we might not want to do that job anymore, Will probably gave up rapping for a while after "Code Red" 'cause he put a lot of work into album just as much as his earlier JJFP albums but because rap's image changed people didn't check for it, really though whenever he put work on his movies he'd get more and more recognition, if "Lost and Found" was a movie it'd been the biggest of his career but with music it ain't like that, it's all image more than anything which is sad, he put out an album better than a lot of the thugged out and younger rappers and it deserved to outsell all of them...

The thing about the rap game that really hurts it's image is that there's talented rappers like FP who get dissed 'cause they ain't hardcore enough, not saying that hardcore rappers ain't talented but the point is that you could do a movie and image doesn't matter, only the performance does, that's what should matter the most but it ain't that way it seems, as a fan it's dissapointing to see fans argue over who is the hardest rapper rather than focus on who's the most talented, all this Dipset vs Jay-Z and 50 Cent vs Game talk is driving me crazy and making me sick of the rap game too. Ice Cube could get some sort of recognition in rap if he does an album every 6 years in between movies since has a harder image, Will's just as talented as Ice Cube but people who like rap re more into image than anything else. Jay-Z, Eminem, and Dr. Dre could still be in the rap game at 50 years old and sell a lot of records since they have a harder image than Will, Diddy ain't really a rapper, nobody really respects him for his rapping, his album is flopping right now even though he has the whole industry on it, lol, LL Cool J is FP's age and I see him receiving a lot of flack for putting out positive music, he ain't really in the prime of his career anymore but he's still putting out better music than most harder rappers that outsell him, in order for LL to sell like he used to he's gonna have to beef with a lot of rappers again like Eminem and Jay-Z do and I don't think he wants to do that either...

On top of that as an up and coming artist like myself it hurts me to know that most of the rappers from my generation that're rapping about selling drugs'll get a record deal faster than the ones like me that're writing songs with positive messages to them even if they all have the same amount of skills. Kel Spencer didn't blow up yet not 'cause he don't have skills but 'cause he don't fit in with what the industry wants, if FP was 18 years old and coming up now in 2006 he'd probably have to go to college and not decide to rap 'cause he wouldn't make it now even with his up and coming classic albums he's was working with Jazzy Jeff would be fire, we see now how people are not supporting Lupe Fiasco the way they support the harder image rappers even though he could outrap all of them, it shouldn't be that way, when Will first came into the rap game fans were more open minded than they are now and it was strictly about who had the most skills to get on, that's why the fans who're around his age might not listen much to rap anymore either or say rap is dying from the way that really there's no appreciation for the history, the public might sleep on Will as a rapper but they know him as an actor but there are some pioneers like Kurtis Blow where the public don't even know who he is if you ask them, it's better to be known for something than nothing, no appreciation for the music anymore or the history so tell me why is it so important for Will to rap? I feel like giving up more than trying to make it these days myself since the rap industry is in such a sad state, I just want to be happy myself too, rap is too depressing, it ain't fun anymore, I really try to just block all that **** out and do my thing 'cause thinking about everything I wrote would make me not want to do it anymore either, I would rather stay true to myself than sell out....

Edited by bigted

Will got respect in rap industry as far as other artists that do got respect for what he does, even Eminem knows what's up, but it seems like there are some rap fans and critics who are too ignorant to realise that, when the time comes I'm sure he'll release another album though since he always seems to "Wave 'Em Off", it has to be the right time, can't rush greatness, a lot of rappers who release albums every year don't always do that well all the time either as far as making quality music

Edited by bigted

Yes, and he needs to build a horse every third second. The horse is goingto fly me to the moon whenever I yell "capribogolej". When I am hungry, it has to feed me with food. When I am horny, it has to feed me with girls.

Thats more realistic.

Lerkot, go take your negativety else where. No one wants to read it anymore.

Yes, and he needs to build a horse every third second. The horse is goingto fly me to the moon whenever I yell "capribogolej". When I am hungry, it has to feed me with food. When I am horny, it has to feed me with girls.

Thats more realistic.

:word: to that! Its really boring!

Back to the topic. I dont think we have anything to worry about, Lost & Found got him a lot of succes and respect, especially around the time of the whole Bow Wow situation. That showed Will is still a prominant figure in hop hop and in the mind of old school heads. I do think it needs to be more regular, but if he's dabbling in more movies, we just have to sit tight until the next album drops, which is hopefully a JJFP album. It'd be cool if he did some guestspots on other artists albums and stuff, but hey, the way I see it is, I waited 3 years for Lost & Found since the dissapointment of Born To Reign, I coped and Lost & Found was well worth the wait. If the same happens with the next album, I'm cool with that. Hip hop knows who JJFP are.

Being positive in this case would go against my will to always be honest.

There's no chance in the world that Will could make good numbers or even gain more respect. Okey, if he really really really tried and put enormous money and time into it, maybe he could sell platinum with some luck and earn a fan or three, but seriously... His style isnt appreciated plus he's not getting younger.. also, though Lost & Found was good, he is clearly past his peak both when it comes to motivation and quality. He aged better than all other old school emcees, but things develop and if you are outside of it, you wont.

I think if things get better as far as seeing rap critics and fans being more open minded to give credit to the most talented rappers then I might see FP doing more rap more often, it really ain't a fun time right now in the rap game, the timing has to be right for him to want to be more involved, and like I said many times before I think the best thing would be for him to branch out and distribute the album through his own imprint instead of waiting for a record label to promote him, he got all that money, he should give it a shot, he already could outsell most of the G-Unit rappers with crap promotion just imagine how well he'd sell with the big time promotion that he could give himself, FP sure sounded motivated and he really had his creative juices flowing on "L&F", I don't think the tank is empty quite yet, it really comes down to when he wants to do it again

Thats more realistic.

:word: to that! Its really boring!

nah, Lerk just offers the other side of the story, which is often funny and makes the board more interesting. maybe he's just being a realist cos from what we've heard today doesn't look like there's any more music in the pipeline.

Well if Will decides not to do any music anymore, we gotta deal with that, it's his life like I said earlier, whatever makes him happy more power to him, I understand, really though he's really the only ol' school rapper from the '80s besides LL to have commercial rap hits in the '00s and now he could expand his movie career even further as he's older, most rappers would kill to have his career

Edited by bigted

I been wanting 2 reply 2 this post but haven't had tyme...but after seeing that post about him considering hanging up the mic, i had 2 reply.

I don't really think he needs his next album 2 be HUGE...but at the same time, who doesn't want their music or art recognized?!? Who doesn't want their favorite emcee blowin' up again and again? As an artist, when u feel that u are being overlooked, it can discourage u and make u not want 2 create anymore...especially when everthing is going against u. For some, it adds fuel 2 the fire and make them come back harder. The commerical side of Hip-Hop and Rap has been garbage for a long time. I don't even like listening 2 so-called Hip-Hop radio anymore. And i don't wanna have 2 dig for music. Back in the 80's and 90's...the good music waz easily accesable and often sucessful. That's rarely the case anymore. None of these cats are talented, smart, or even likeable. FP is in a class of his own 4 the most part.

If FP waz content with Gold-selling albums and moderatly sucessful singles, he could keep going on. But the music he loves has changed...so his motivation is probably weaker. L+F waz a dope album and while it did alright...it deserved much more.

His next album doesn't need 2 be HUGE, but it would be better for us and FP if it did. Either way, FP is Hip-Hop and as always, he's also kept his ear 2 the streets and continued writing even when he 1st 'retired.' If he does it again, he'll make a big comeback like he did with Big Willie Style.

Things have changed quite a bit since the days when Will decided to make albums with Jazzy Jeff 20 years ago, back then you really needed to have the most skills to get on but now you have to start controversey to get on, he probably sees how a lot of his ol' school rap friends struggle to sell 10,000 albums and probably doesn't want to end up like that so he figures he better go out now, but when the time's right he'll want to do it again, he probably still has some music at his crib that he's working on but he might just want to keep it for himself till the right time comes to release it, the timing has to be right, when there's rappers coming out with high skills and a creative motive then he'll be motivated, the rap game has gotten stale though, there are still some great albums out but it's just not being recognised, it just seems that a lot of people are really starting to look at rap as a gimmick since hardly any rapper's selling anymore, hopefully with all these weak rappers like G-Unit flopping the record execs will realise that they have to go after more quality artists, FP might want to get out before the rap industry goes out of buisiness, I could see that happening soon if the right artists don't get promoted

Edited by bigted