JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Foxy Brown's Deafness Cured

bigted

Foxy Brown Breaks Silence Again: Deafness Cured, She's Back To Work

06.28.2006 6:00 AM EDT

After year of deafness, successful surgery allows Brown to return to studio for forthcoming LP.

Foxy Brown

Photo: Fernando Leon/ Getty Images

NEW YORK- Foxy Brown says her hearing is back and she's ready to resume her career and according to the MC, her long-delayed next album will be out before the end of the year.

"[Around] Christmas Eve, the album will be out," Brown said Sunday night, shortly after performing with Jay-Z at his Reasonable Doubt 10th anniversary show (see "Jay-Z Rolls Out Classics, Big Surprises At Reasonable Doubt 10th Anniversary Show").

"I went straight from the operating room to the studio. It was really hard. I was deaf for an entire year. Completely deaf." - Foxy Brown

In December 2005, Foxy held a press conference to reveal that her hearing had deteriorated so much, she needed someone to tap out beats on her shoulder when she was in the recording studio (see "Foxy Brown Says She Hasn't Heard A Thing For Six Months"). She announced she was suffering from severe and sudden sensorineural hearing loss in both ears.

An almost distraught Foxy conveyed her pain by telling stories of sleepless nights: "To suddenly lose your hearing after 10 years as a professional artist, I questioned God: 'Why me?' "

At the time, Brown's doctor issued a positive prognosis, saying she could recover after surgery. Around three months ago, according to her rep, Brown underwent surgery and is well on her way to having all her hearing back.

"I went straight from the operating room to the studio," Foxy said with a smile. "It was really hard. I was deaf for an entire year. Completely deaf. The surgery was iffy. They didn't know if it would be a success, and it was."

Before that setback, Foxy had recorded a multitude of tracks with Jay-Z, the Neptunes and others for an album to be called Black Roses. There's no word yet on who Foxy has been working with since her recording has picked up once again. Her label, Def Jam, says no official date has been set for the album and it's not certain whether the disc will keep the same title.

On July 18, Fox Boogie will be getting onstage once again: She's on the bill for LIFEbeat's Hearts & Voices AIDS Benefit Concert Series show, Reggae Gold Live 2006 Summer Jumpoff, to promote HIV and AIDS awareness. The show takes place at New York's Webster Hall and also includes TOK, Beenie Man and Wayne Wonder.

- Shaheem Reid

Edited by bigted

I'm real happy 4 her. I can only imagin how hard that had 2 be. I can't wait 2 hear her new album. I hope being out of the limelight and going thru' everything she's gone thru' in the past few years is gonna take her music in a stronger direction.