JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will Shut Out At Grammys

TopDawg14

"Switch" was one of the most successful singles this year so I figure it'd be nominated as rap single of the year and "Lost and Found" should be up for rap album of the year, I don't understand how Missy Elliot got nominated instead since he outsold her and I didn't really see many good reviews for her album like "Lost and Found" got, and Kanye is officially the most overrated rapper, 8 nominations??!!!! :hmm: I'm happy to see that De La Soul's nominated for their collab with Gorillaz, I find it hard to believe that the ones representin' the ol' school hip-hop with a Grammy nomination would be them. I wasn't expecting for Will to win anything anyway but a couple nominations would've been nice, most likely Kanye West and Mariah'll be the big winners of the show, I'm just happy that Will won an AMA this year.

Edited by bigted

It's like pick ur poison when it comes to these awards, they do it mostly on sales, what's so artistic about Eminem and 50 Cent albums? I figure that even Ying Yang Twins and Mike Jones would've been nominated before Common and Missy Elliot would. Most of these nominations were wack, I'm surprised that Common and Stevie Wonder got 4 nominations, it'd be nice if they win, hopefully De La could win one too, they deserve to win their 1st grammy.

Edited by bigted

Wow, I am absolutley stunned, it was one of the highest selling rap albums of the year, plus it got good reviews critically, and Switch was in the top 10 for seemingly forever. This is complete bull, I was certainly expecting nominations, it is a shame.

This isn't much of a surprise. Lost and Found wasn't given staying power. Like we said during the summer, though Switch was successful, the album didn't get much hype from its success. Not too many people cared that he had an album out because they weren't hearing much about it. Interscope, or whoever is responsible for publicity started the proccess strong, but let too much time go between singles and appearances towards the middle and end of the summer. Lost and Found was talked about for no more than 3 weeks after it's release and then it seemed to disappear.

Also, Switch, while very popular, is given more recognition as a pop song than as a hip hop track.

I could see how they could choose Common's "Be" over "Lost and Found" in the nomination since Common had more hype for his album with higher reviews plus his association with Kanye probably helped, that's why John Legend got so many nominations too, I figure that R. Kelly would have more nominations than him in the r&b catagory. "Switch" would probably get put in the best pop song of the year but I think a couple of rappers are in that category too though so it's dissapointing they chose "Candy Shop" over "Switch" but when 50 Cent sells 4 million he gets the edge over Will. They need to explain though how they'd choose Missy Elliot's album over Will's when Will outsold her and his album stayed on the charts longer than her song, I think she got a couple other nominations for her singles too when "Switch" did better than her singles, not to mention that his album had higher reviews too. They nominated LL's "The Definition" last year for rap album of the year even though "Headsprung" didn't do as well as "Switch" and he got the lowest album reviews in years so I figured from that alone "Lost and Found" would've been nominated. The music industry seems to be so biased against Will but at least he won an AMA award where Common didn't even get nominated for that, they probably meant to give than AMA to Eminem instead of Will Smith, it was probably a typo, lol.

Edited by bigted

They need to explain though how they'd choose Missy Elliot's album over Will's when Will outsold her and his album stayed on the charts longer than her song, I think she got a couple other nominations for her singles too when "Switch" did better than her singles, not to mention that his album had higher reviews too.

Easy... It's Will Smith... dude gets no respect. It's outrageous, but not much of a surprise.