JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"Tonight" is next

Radewart

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a good feeling about this one, and I'm eager to see how this movie turns out. I think it's the fact that this movie isn't the typical Will Smith summer blockbuster. It's more serious, and hopefully will gets to show more of his acting chops in this project than the typical summer blockbusters. Perhaps a little drama.

I still don't understand why some are so down on his acting. Lets run through the numbers... Will took off about a year and a half between the filming of movies, bringing us Lost and Found during that time. By the time his next movie comes out, a year and three quarters will have passed between the premiere of movies. He won't be filming another movie for about 6 months, and will probably do something with music during that time. All this while being one of the most sought after actors in the industry; one of the very few being paid upwards of 20 mil per movie... Approaching the prime of his career... Frankly, there isn't much to complain about as of late.

If JJFP release an album, tour, and release more videos before the next movie's premiered late next year then I'll be happy, btw I think some of us are upset 'cause even after "Lost and Found" got released we still hear critics say that Will should just do movies since this album didn't impact the way it should've. Interscope and Will delayed "Lost and Found"'s release too much and that hurt everything, JJFP could've toured in the spring if it came out in November 2004 instead of March 2005 and 3 or 4 videos could've been shot before Will shot "Pursuit Of Happiness", then we could've had "Lost and Found" being the highest selling album and the media would be giving Will more props right now for his rapping instead of only his acting.

Edited by bigted

I still don't understand why some are so down on his acting. Lets run through the numbers... Will took off about a year and a half between the filming of movies, bringing us Lost and Found during that time. By the time his next movie comes out, a year and three quarters will have passed between the premiere of movies. He won't be filming another movie for about 6 months, and will probably do something with music during that time. All this while being one of the most sought after actors in the industry; one of the very few being paid upwards of 20 mil per movie... Approaching the prime of his career... Frankly, there isn't much to complain about as of late.

:word:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

here's a semi-review posted on message board forum: http://scriptzone.forumculture.net/ftopic5...HT-HE-COMES.htm

An Early Look at TONIGHT, HE COMES

Vincent Ngo’s script for TONIGHT, HE COMES has experienced a long and brutal journey in Hollywood. Ngo wrote the script in the mid-nineties and for a time it seemed as though Jake, and then Tony Scott would direct. That never came. Long considered an unmade gem, it was later set up at Akiva Goldsman’s Weed Road Pictures with Michael Mann attached to direct. Mann eventually opted to film MIAMI VICE instead. Last year Will Smith and Jonathon Mostow came onboard, only for Mostow to leave recently with shooting only months away.

TONIGHT isn’t really about superheroics – though there is action; including a huge final act set piece – it’s about two men in mid-life crisis seeking redemption. One is Hancock, the superhero that Will Smith will play. The other is Horus, a low-paid security guard and family man. Both are at polar opposite ends of the masculine spectrum. Hancock is strong and powerful, a living Greek God. Horus is a good man, but he’s a coward, he’s weak and emotionally distant from his wife Mary and son Aaron.

Hancock, who disguises his cape and costume beneath a trench coat, connects with Mary and Aaron upon arriving in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. He slips into the role of make-shift father to Aaron and a slow-burning romance between him and Mary ignites. When things don’t turn out how Hancock wants them to, things take a turn for the worse. Think SUPERMAN III and the “Evil Superman” who ripped open oil tankers and flicked peanuts at a bartender at the speed of gunfire. Hancock is clearly modelled from the classic Superman archetype, but this is the Superman that Frank Miller would probably write if given the chance. Hancock is physically the Man of Steel, but emotionally and mentally he is in tatters. But it’s not funked up Kryptonite that sends him off the rails – it’s the burden of being so powerful. He saves people, but he does so out of duty not desire. Deep down his powers are more trouble than they’re worth and all Hancock wants is to be able to lead a normal life.

For the most part Ngo does a brilliant job of keeping the unbelievable believable. But the script does have its problems: the superhero’s meltdown for one, things take a dark turn for him in the end and it feels a little contrived. The good, however, far outweighs the bad. There’s also a couple of scenes that made the superhero fan in me chuckle; like what damage a certain bodily discharge can do, and a quick and violent method of getting a cat out of a tree.

Comic fans will enjoy this movie, perhaps cinefiles who don’t really care for spandex-clad heroics will also get a kick out of it. There is a definite Michael Mann feel to this script – the urban landscape, the flawed leading men, the dark, gritty realism. I can only hope that Mann steps back into the directors chair – he would be perfect for this.

Will Smith is an underrated dramatic actor, he has the charisma to play a superhero but this role is a whole lot more complex than any other superhero part to date. I could see someone like Jamie Foxx or Nic Cage nailing this role, but I think Smith is more than up to the job. It’ll give him the perfect opportunity to shed his “Will Smith persona”, this is definitely his most challenging post-ALI role. The casting of Horus is also crucial. Smith will take all the headline but in the end Horus is the real hero. With the right director, TONIGHT, HE COMES could be one 2007’s must see movies and an interesting piece of counter-programming when measured against more traditional superhero fare.

Edited by Radewart