JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

20 Best Hip Hop Albums

Mike

Basically all the ones I'd call classics except I'd take "Ready To Die", "Blueprint" and "Marshall Mathers LP" off the list, those are the 3 most overrated albums ever that the MTV crowd of teenagers are most familiar with, they might as well take Public Enemy off the list and mention "Country Grammar" to make it a least only teenagers will be familiar with, I borrow those albums from some of my friends that rely on MTV for their hip-hop but I wouldn't be caught dead with them in my collection, I always get into fights with them and tell them that there's a whole world of hip-hop out there beyond the radio and MTV, AOL sucks, I wouldn't put those in my top 100(especailly Marshall Mathers LP, I could name 20 albums from 1999-2000 that're better easily) if they don't mention real hip-hop classics like KRS' "Criminal Minded", LL's "Mama Said Knock You Out", or Slick Rick's "Great Adventures Of Slick Rick", and like usual JJFP get no love, selling 30 million albums and yet none of them get mentioned, wtf, "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" is top 5 easily, "Code Red" top 20, "Lost and Found"(the album of the decade so far) and "Willenium" top 50 with "Big Willie Style" and "Homebase" in the top 100, with "Rock The House" and "And In This Corner..." ahead of "Marshall Mathers LP". Why doesn't any of Queen Latifah, MC Hammer, Heavy D, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Naughty By Nature, Busta Rhymes, or Salt-N-Pepa albums get any love? I hate the media's lists, I rather make my own or ask knowledgable hip-hop heads like AJ or Tim if I need schooling on what classic album I need for for my CD collection.

Edited by bigted

b4 u guys get all in a bunch, the list is in chronological order. that's why NWA is #3. for those who don't know what chronological means, that list is put together in order of which year it was released. that's why the oldest album is #1 and the newest album is the last one on the list. just cuz Run DMC's album is listed first doesn't mean they thought it was the best on the whole list.

b4 u guys get all in a bunch, the list is in chronological order. that's why NWA is #3. for those who don't know what chronological means, that list is put together in order of which year it was released. that's why the oldest album is #1 and the newest album is the last one on the list. just cuz Run DMC's album is listed first doesn't mean they thought it was the best on the whole list.

Oh that explains it :1-say-yes: :davidblaine:

They'd probably say "Marshall Mathers LP" was #1 and put "Raising Hell" at the bottom list if it wasn't in chronological order, it wouldn't surpise me since they name Biggie the greatest rapper, I'm sick of all these lists that ignore JJFP and put Eminem on all their lists, that's kinda funny though that Em says "radio don't even play my jam", that's a joke, they play his before anyone elses, they make it seem like JJFP didn't win the 1st rap grammy and Eminem did the way they ignore them now, Eminem is the Elvis of rap, they might as well start building his statue, f*** the media! :shrug:

They even had the nerve to give Eminem an Oscar for a movie playing himself( what a hard role! :lolsign: ) before giving an Oscar to any of Will's movies, Will's actually put out more albums than Rakim has in recent years despite doing so many movies so I don't understand why they can't give Will the credit he deserves, Rakim only put out 2 albums in the last 12 years, Will's put out 5 in the last 12 years, I don't know if Rakim or anybody could put out an album now on the same level as "Lost and Found", "The 18th Letter" is a lil' better than "Big Willie Style", "Willenium" is superior to "The Master" although I'd rank "The Master" as one of the 20 ahead of "Marshall Mathers LP", well "Paid In Full"'s better than any of the JJFP albums or any hip-hop albums for that matter so it's an even score I guess, lol, Rakim hasn't released much so it's hard to tell if he'd have a weak album like "Born To Reign", LL and KRS been putting out a lot recently still, LL's "G.O.A.T." and KRS "Kristyles" are on the same level as "Lost and Found" but I'd say LL's "10" and KRS' "Spirtual Minded" are about as weak as "Born To Reign" even though there all still better than the competition, 50 Cent and Eminem can't even touch those albums even if it's not their best though, those are the only guys besides that I could say that're possibly better than Will, I'm surprised they mentioned Big Daddy Kane, it's been a while since somebody mentioned any of his albums in the top 20, well deserved, he needs to comeback with another album, there's supposed to be one in the works but who knows if that'll ever come out.

Edited by bigted

They even had the nerve to give Eminem an Oscar for a movie playing himself( what a hard role!  :lolsign: ) before giving an Oscar to any of Will's movies, Will's actually put out more albums than Rakim has in recent years despite doing so many movies so I don't understand why they can't give Will the credit he deserves, Rakim only put out 2 albums in the last 12 years, Will's put out 5 in the last 12 years, I don't know if Rakim or anybody could put out an album now on the same level as "Lost and Found", "The 18th Letter" is a lil' better than "Big Willie Style", "Willenium" is superior to "The Master" although I'd rank "The Master" as one of the 20 ahead of "Marshall Mathers LP", well "Paid In Full"'s better than any of the JJFP albums or any hip-hop albums for that matter so it's an even score I guess, lol, Rakim hasn't released much so it's hard to tell if he'd have a weak album like "Born To Reign", LL and KRS been putting out a lot recently still, LL's "G.O.A.T." and KRS "Kristyles" are on the same level as "Lost and Found" but I'd say LL's "10" and KRS' "Spirtual Minded" are about as weak as "Born To Reign" even though there all still better than the competition, 50 Cent and Eminem can't even touch those albums even if it's not their best though, those are the only guys besides that I could say that're possibly better than Will, I'm surprised they mentioned Big Daddy Kane, it's been a while since somebody mentioned any of his albums in the top 20, well deserved, he needs to comeback with another album, there's supposed to be one in the works but who knows if that'll ever come out.

I think it`s well said except from "10"!

I think it was way better than Borne To Reign and also better than "The Definition"..I don`t know that KRS Album..Only know the BIigie Down productions stuf (Yes it`s a shame)

I think "The Definition" is a step above "10" 'cause it had more energy from top to bottom except for "Can't Explain It" that song's a lil' boring, different strokes for different folks, just like you think "Born To Reign" is better than "Willenium", but "10" wasn't all that bad I think "Big Momma"'s phenominal "Fa Ha" is a nice storytellin' track and I dig "Throw Ya L's Up", "10 Million Stars", "Mirror Mirror", "Clockin' G's" and "Paradise" too, you could always pick 6 or 7 dope songs from each of LL's 11 albums though just like Will's 9, I could say there was about 6-7 dope tracks on "Born To Reign" too, you can't say that about too many mcs, that's the problem with a lot of rappers now, they can't really make quality albums, they might have a hot single but the rest of their albums are wack.

I think "The Definition" is a step above "10" 'cause it had more energy from top to bottom except for "Can't Explain It" that song's a lil' boring, different strokes for different folks, just like you think "Born To Reign" is better than "Willenium", but "10" wasn't all that bad I think "Big Momma"'s phenominal "Fa Ha" is a nice storytellin' track and I dig "Throw Ya L's Up", "10 Million Stars", "Mirror Mirror", "Clockin' G's" and "Paradise" too, you could always pick 6 or 7 dope songs from each of LL's 11 albums though just like Will's 9, I could say there was about 6-7 dope tracks on "Born To Reign" too, you can't say that about too many mcs, that's the problem with a lot of rappers now, they can't really make quality albums, they might have a hot single but the rest of their albums are wack.

Mhm thats true..But i actualy changed my mind about Borne To Reign and Willenium lol

But it is still true!