JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Melle Mel whining

Lerkot

Ra, Kris and Pac might be in most heads' Top 10, but former Furious Five emcee Melle Mel doesn't think too highly of them. During a recent appearance on (New York) Power 105.1's Star and Bucwild morning show, Mel did the unthinkable and said Ra was "overrated with no stage presence." He then added that he "wouldn't put him in his Top 10 and that Rakim doesn't have the talent to drop a modern day Hip-Hop hit." Meanwhile, Mel said "people were blinded if KRS-One was their face of Hip-Hop." However, Kris was luckier than Ra and "barely scrapped" Mel's Top 10. Last but not least, Mel took a shot at Pac. The veteran lyricist compared Shakur to Hitler and said the fraudulent images he portrayed "brought down an entire culture."

I think Melle Mel definately deserves more respect for what he's done as an mc but what he said about Rakim and 2Pac is disrespectful, Rakim knows how to rock a house and could easily outrhyme any of these chart rappers, there's nothin' wrong with not putting KRS on the top 10 of his list everybody has their own opinion so that's cool, and yes I think Pac is a lil' overrated myself but to compare him to Hitler is just stupid, this is something I wouldn't expect from Melle Mel, that is totally classless. :nhawong:

Edited by bigted

Melle Mel is suppose to be a true bred of Hip Hop. Even he should know it's not about being a hit. At least not on no charts. I'd like to see his Top 10 and hear his reasons why.

Now Tupac, I'm a big fan of, but I can understand why he wouldn't be Top 10. Just there being more rap artists better than him. I can understand that.

Where did U find this at? If Mel wants to mad, he can have every right to. Just please don't be mad for the wrong reasons. And even if he feels those 3 are ungrateful to be Top 10, look at the game now.

Melle Mel is suppose to be a true bred of Hip Hop. Even he should know it's not about being a hit. At least not on no charts. I'd like to see his Top 10 and hear his reasons why.

Now Tupac, I'm a big fan of, but I can understand why he wouldn't be Top 10. Just there being more rap artists better than him. I can understand that.

Where did U find this at? If Mel wants to mad, he can have every right to. Just please don't be mad for the wrong reasons. And even if he feels those 3 are ungrateful to be Top 10, look at the game now.

I honestly don't believe this, do you have a source Lerkot? I think Melle Mel made the greatest rap song of all time with "The Message" and I don't see it in his character to say something this immature, I figure this would be something that'd be said by younger rappers, and if he's gonna criticise Rakim and 50 Cent, I mean what does he think about 50 Cent and Mike Jones? :lol: Rakim can't compete with them? please!! :noooo: Well then again as I remember, The Furious Five tried to sue Will over sampling "Superrappin'" for "Will2K", so I guess maybe this is just something Melle Mel is doing to get back in the spotlight once again, it's kinda low if you ask me, he's a legendary mc but he seems to be out of character.

Edited by bigted

I found a source, well Melle Mel never makes my top 10 now, I lost a lil' respect for him:

http://www.daveyd.com/newsArchive.asp

Yeah, I actually heard that show, and a few others. Star was like, LL makes my top 5 because he has stood the test of time, and doesn't even have to curse. Is it just me, or does it seem another artist that we all know?

Yeah, I actually heard that show, and a few others.  Star was like, LL makes my top 5 because he has stood the test of time, and doesn't even have to curse.  Is it just me, or does it seem another artist that we all know?

Yeah I wonder who that might be? :lolsign: Anyways there's no definitive list that could possibly be right but there's no denying that KRS-ONE, 2Pac, and Rakim are a major part of hip-hop history whether you put them in your top 10, 20, or 40 mcs of all time just like Melle Mel is, so to put them down like that doesn't make sense to me especially since they admit that they were inspired from Melle Mel, KRS and Rakim must feel a lil' heartbroken that their hero dissed them, the Outlawz even sampled "The Message" too, that's being very selfishly and acting like that will ruin his legacy.

I think to that Pac is overated (he is still great tho)..I thin he gets to much respket because LL and Rakim and them deserve more but they don`t get it like him..

And i also think Rakim couldn`t make a Song like In Da Club..But he can make so much better Songs so to hell with it lol..I think waht Melly saiud about Rakim is wrong!

KRS-One..I only know his Boogie Down Production Albums so i can`t judge..

Didn`t he say anything about LL and Biggie?

Oh and i like Melle Mel..He deserves much more respect than he gets!

Pac is overrated, I think agree with ya'll about that... About Rakim, when he was in Sweden a couple of years ago, he wasnt rapping. He used playback which is lame. KRS should not be dissed, tho he's obviously jellous at times, he's still very important for the true Hiphop (not hip-hop or hiphop).

...Oh and i like Melle Mel..He deserves much more respect than he gets!

But comparing 2Pac to Hitler and sayin' Rakim can't outflow commercial rappers of today will not get more respect, he wasn't dissin' KRS, not everyone has to be puttin' him in their top 10, he didn't say anything bad about him I guess, I'd love to hear audio of this.

U know what, this is is just another problem arising in Hip Hop. It's funny, if someone gets into a music that's current. People in that department don't say, how can U not know this genre's history like that? Why are you into so and so so much when this guy is so much better and has done greater things. I hate to scare anybody, but I truly do think that Rap is going to go out. Because it's a more powerful genre than the world has ever seen, it may take awhile. But it is very possible that such a thing can happen.

I mean, they said "Disco will never die." And it did. Some people take offense to that, but it's the truth. It's not a physically living music anymore. (in other words, U don't see disco on tv today like you do Hip Hop, R&B, and Rock/Pop, etc.) But spiritually it's still around. (meaning people still listen to it). Rap was the new disco. Obviously rap would become something for anybody, because anybody could do it. A guy pulled from a pizza shop, rappin' a verse he heard.

I may regret saying this and go back on my word, but don't ignore the fact that it is possible. Rap/Hip Hop, will die out in popularity but it will still be a favorite with many of us. The only way it will truly go is if something new could be on the rise. As Disco was heading for it's burial, rap was the underground party being brought to the surface and went to heights that nobody would have ever seen coming.

If 2 of the greatest mcs alive like Melle Mel and Rakim start beefin' with each other instead of unifying it'll truely be the end of hip-hop, I wonder if Rakim's gonna respond back and diss Melle Mel.