JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

album sales strategies

So not everybody would have been aware of this board then. But music piracy no way declined Will's album sales.

Hmm :hmm: I disagree with that statement. Don't you think there are some people that downloaded Will's album and decided not to buy it? i do that to some artist's albums too that if we were living in a different age i would definitely buy it. if i can do it, so can other people. so many people download albums these days. there's no doubt in my mind that Will's sales would be higher if it weren't for the piracy of music that exists today.

So not everybody would have been aware of this board then. But music piracy no way declined Will's album sales.

This board? IC, SOHH,, every other big board. It was everywhere.

Piracy is a problem for ALL artists.

• Members

Hmm :hmm: I disagree with that statement. Don't you think there are some people that downloaded Will's album and decided not to buy it? i do that to some artist's albums too that if we were living in a different age i would definitely buy it. if i can do it, so can other people. so many people download albums these days. there's no doubt in my mind that Will's sales would be higher if it weren't for the piracy of music that exists today.

Oh okay, I meant at a level of going platinum. That's what I was referring to. What I exactly meant to say was piracy could not have affected the album from going platinum. Atleast that's what I feel. Don't you feel the same way too? :hmm: :smart:

Oh okay, I meant at a level of going platinum. That's what I was referring to. What I exactly meant to say was piracy could not have affected the album from going platinum. Atleast that's what I feel. Don't you feel the same way too? :hmm: :smart:

I'm not sure what I think. do i think there have been some sales denied from internet piracy? yes. the question is how many sales? i think L&F will go platinum anyways, so piracy won't affect that much. let's say it sells 1.5 million copies. do i think piracy denied Will from selling 2 million and going 2x platnum? i THINK so. i'm not sure how much downloading has affected peoples sales and if it would actually make 500,000 people in the US not buy Will's album. all i know is that where i live all of my friends download albums and if i take those same friends and multiply them all accross the the state and then multiply that by the 50 states in the US, you'd probably get 500,000 or more. i think i reasearch study needs to be done to see just how much internet piracy is affecting artist's album sales.

• Members

reborn2reign posted:

all i know is that where i live all of my friends download albums and if i take those same friends and multiply them all accross the the state and then multiply that by the 50 states in the US, you'd probably get 500,000 or more. i think i reasearch study needs to be done to see just how much internet piracy is affecting artist's album sales.

Well homie, I guess you're right. Because here not much album downloading goes on because it's more expensive than buying a Will Smith cassette. :haha: Anywho, let's just hope that Party Starter is able to create that magic and make people go and buy the reocrd. :2thumbs:

Well the one thing that has kept Will and LL relevant longer than most rappers that came out when they did is their successful movie careers, there's always a larger fanbase out there for them 'cause of that, even if Queen Latifah released an album now she'd probably double the sales of her last album 'cause she's more successful in her movie career now too and if Will never did have success in his acting his sales would probably be as low as De La Soul's, we might not like him do so many movies but they've helped kept his career afloat still.

It is a shame that the music industry has come to this, people are thieves, these artists put in hard work for these albums, and they deserved to be bought, not stolen. It angers me to see so much music being downloaded.