JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

WACKEST HIP-HOP SONGS OF ALL TIME

Hey man, TI has some cool lyrics, in some of his songs, the other ones are just rapping for the art of doing it. for example mims says in his song: "I dont have to rap, I can make a mill saying nothin on the track" I mean, please, when u hear that u realize that hip hop is not on its finest hour, dont matter whos wack and whos not. 50 cent is not wack on my opinion, hes just got different goals in rapping, get rich or dye trying, he aint got love for this, hes got love for this $$$$$$. And thats not wack, its a need for him.

About the commercial stuff, everybody is commercial, cmon, Will is too, and thats why he is making movies instead of rapping which is his true love. Lost and found was deep, no doubt about it, but when u hear the songs he released to the radio on that cd, then u understand me, switch!, party starter more or less, I can keep on going. The label knew that those were the songs people where gonna be buying, even though tell me why was 100 times better, and what about lost and found, would you love me, even loretta?, the real hip hop, the deep songs were not released as videos or nothing and he could have made an effort, hes got a lot of power, he also produces. But he didnt. So, we cannot be dissing people like that, knowing that noone is perfect and noone can release an album thats not gonna be a hit, no matter how good its songs are. I mean, take a minute and study what have been the top Will smith songs ever, as a solo artist, and you will find out that the 85 % of them songs were actually the most commercial ones on the albums.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turntable and Visqo...just cuz u love the commercial stuff doesn't mean u can brand the Fresh Prince a "commercial rap artist." I can't see how u honestly believe he's in the same category as G-Unit. Have u even listened 2 The Return of The Magnificent?

I think what the argument here is that AJ and Turntable have a difference in their personal definition of commercial hip-hop...I think what AJ is saying is that if somebody is not being true to himself and just does music for the money its commercial. Whereas Turntable is saying that anything easily marketable is commercial.

Me personally I think there has to be minimum a level of skill displayed for me to take interest (so I can't really mess with Mc Hammer,who is of course very talented but displays limited microphone skills) and of course subject matter and beat selection matter...and it often puts me off if an artist portrays something he/she dosen't live.

Well, nobody can put Will into the same category as G-Unit. That's impossible. Will is a nice guy, that loves and respects his fans. He has another attitude than the current rap generation. That's a fact! And about this "Commercial Rap" discussion. Every single rap artist, that has a contract with a label, makes music to earn money, no matter who they are or how their attitude is. That's what "Commercial" means to me.

But AJ's right about love and heart. I can only find love and heart when I'm listening to the pioneers of hip hop, which means when I listen to artists that are making hip hop music for more than 15 or 20 years...

But it's not correct to say that all the rap artists that curse are stupid. Lots of current rappers are stupid, I agree. But not everybody. Ice Cube for example studied Architectural Draftinghas on college. He has an own record label and a movie production company called "CubeVision". Is he stupid? And listen to Jeff's albums. His co-stars are also cursing. Method Man for example. Are these artists stupid? I don't think so...

People, in the last 9 years hip hop have reign in the music industry because of the changes it has had. The problem is that most of those changes are not for good things and we all know that. Lately, and we all heard it in the second verse of lost and found, all we can hear in hip hop is about drugs, easy money, flash and good looking easy girls. Will even said in I wish/swagga that maybe what hes gotta do to make people reconize him in the radio is to get into the nowadays topics in music. Because thats what commercial is, giving people what they wanna hear, and right now it seems that thats what most of this guys, new into the music world wanna hear. New rappers are not turning their backs to this fact, and we might be the only people who might think that their music is whack, such as Will Smith boldly said once.

But the truth is that in FP history we all know that the phrase that we and him have heard a lot and that we truly dissagre on is that His music is whack. He even said it in DONT SAY NOTHIN, and we all just cnnot permit it when one of them haters try to say that his songs are whack, cause we simply know that they are not.

But when we say that theyr music is whack, arent we just doing the same thing they always dO? Doesnt it make us haters the same way? I think that is cool to defend our believes maybe justify them, but we gotta be clear on those facts and dont forget about them when we are criticizing someone or some song or whatever.

If i think something is wack..and chose 2 diagnose it as wack...this cuz i simply don't like. To be a "hater" i believe their has 2 be angry, bitter, and/or immature motives behind it. When i hear a Ja-Rule track, i don't flip out and start knocking over furniture...ha ha. I just say it sucks and change the station/channel.

The people who seem 2 mostly listen 2 commercial rap seem 2 share the same opinion. I consider it justification. I like some of the things u said Ash Trey.

You dont know ish about my cd collection dont you?

Well, u regularly praise certain artists and rarely mention others. It shows your taste. Who really cares?!

It aint about liking the artists for me, its liking the style, the rhymes, the core, the meaning, the beats, its a lot of things. For example, Im a fan of what the NEPTUNES have done so far, its all about the beats that are incredibly crazy and I love them. It is not about the contains, because we all know pharrell is not a real rapper. You can also like Will Smith Rhymes and meaning in lost and found (the song) but think that the beats were not the best.