JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

WACKEST HIP-HOP SONGS OF ALL TIME

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The people who seem 2 mostly listen 2 commercial rap seem 2 share the same opinion. I consider it justification. I like some of the things u said Ash Trey.

You dont know ish about my cd collection dont you?

Well, u regularly praise certain artists and rarely mention others. It shows your taste. Who really cares?!

That's becaus all ya'll talk about these days is about how wack somebody is. You'll find my namd in the threads about "good rappers" too.

Well, I guess I'm showing my age when the topic is wackest of all time and the artist are mostly from the late 90's and today. Rappin Duke- Da Hah? That would go on my list of wackest hip-hop songs of all time.

Rappin Duke wack? No way, that song's a classic! It was hilarious!

I think what the argument here is that AJ and Turntable have a difference in their personal definition of commercial hip-hop...I think what AJ is saying is that if somebody is not being true to himself and just does music for the money its commercial. Whereas Turntable is saying that anything easily marketable is commercial.

Me personally I think there has to be minimum a level of skill displayed for me to take interest (so I can't really mess with Mc Hammer,who is of course very talented but displays limited microphone skills) and of course subject matter and beat selection matter...and it often puts me off if an artist portrays something he/she dosen't live.

i know im late on this whole argument but if i were to add in commercial mcs, common is commercial, his songs go and testify were all on mtv. even kweli was on wildstyle on that nick cannon show and i remember seeing the "i try" video on mtv too. so i mean not all commercial rappers are bad. but i agree with the two defintion thing, i mean jjfp pretty much brought rap into the mainstream, espcially with fpoba and all.

If that's how u wanna look at it. But just because a group, an album, or a song gets popular, it doesn't mean a legit artist all of a sudden is commercial. I'm not saying that it hasn't happened (example; Eminem). But just cuz Common Sense and Talib Kweli get video spins on MTV doen't mean they go from credible Hip-Hop artists to the status of 50 Cent. That idea is straight ignorance.

It may be ignorant if u see it from that point, but i dont know if u know that right now the main reason people are rappin on tv today is about popularity, and it brings the money, if ur song dont get popular, it doesnt get played on the radio, and u wont see its video in 106, then u wont sell and then no body is gonna give u a record deal and then ull end up rappin in mcdonalds why u doing the fries.

Man, we cannot be that radical about that. You and I we all know that If the song its not popular then its not gonna get played, and it will not produce, its called the game, and right now every single rapper wanna play it. If u write a song and make a video and it hits mtv, u are lucky, people dont make videos of songs they dont want people to like and make them popular, so think about it, ok

The funny thing is.. AHJ, you dissing people who dont do what they wanna do from heart just to sell records. You call them wack, commercial etc. In that group you also place act's like UGK and stuff, but for example UGK is one of those groups that went out on the street again to earn theyr money just caus they didnt felt what Jive told them to do (Going on with stuff like Big Pimpin etc). So how is that?

I REALLY want someone to explain me the definition of whack, maybe the problem is that im wrong and I DONT KNOW WHAT WHACK AND COMMERCIAL MEANS, AND WHATS THE PORPOISE OF MAKING A MUSICAL VIDEO AND PUTTING IT ON BET OR MTV OR SELLING IT IN STORES. Aj, maybe u can help me out with this doubts.

Turntable. Listen 2 yourself. UGK. They truely suck. Pimp C and Bun B are garbage rappers who think that sex, drugs and money is a new concept in music. Even album reveiws from their fans have said stuff like "they don't a whole lot to say"..."every verse has referenced to drugs and sex." Anyone who is gonna say "Hip-Hop is about sex and drugs" is just an idiot. Those fools didn't stand up for their own music and get off Jive. Jive refocused their music 2 pop music, dumping most of their Hip-Hop and Rap acts. UGK's music from today is the same crap that they were doing over 10 years ago. I have some mixtapes, compilation albums and soundtrack albums with music by them...it's awful. They aren't doing anything that Babyboy, Three 6 Mafia, Lil' Jon + The Eastside Boys, and Young Joc aren't doing. This last paragraph isn't even necessary. All i really gotta say is this..."Tribe Called Quest...UGK." Any questions?!?

Visqo, i know u are being sarcastic with that post...but incase we need a brush up on wackness. Wack means bad with no redeeming qualities. Not "the lyrics were great but the production was weak" or "that song is awful, but Common Sense's verse waz good." Wack mean unforgivably bad in every way, shape, and form.

And when it comes 2 greedy "quick 2 make a buck" artists, not everyone is doing what they do just 2 make money. Look at it this way. G-Unit obviously spends no time trying 2 write good songs. They don't care about having a song that has no lyrical focus or a wack chorus. They shamelessly will put out whatever. They want money and they talk about it all the time. They don't have any real respect for Hip-Hop music or Art in general. THAT'S COMMERICAL. Sure, FP puts out music videos and wants respectable numbers, but he's actually trying 2 do something with his music. He's telling a story on "Scary Story." He's packing the dancefloor with "Switch." He's making people laugh with "If U Can't Dance." He's showing concern for the world with live in on "Tell Me Why." He's venting on "I Wish I Made That." He's speaking his mind on "Lost + Found." He is making $20 million dollars when he makes a movie. Do u think has has any reason 2 rap anymore...any reason 2 promote his music. Heck 2 the nizzo...he does it 2 balance out the crap some of u support. He does it 4 the fans. Speech releases half of his music online with promtion. Public Enemy makes music videos still even tho' they aren't going 2 get aired. They do it for the fans...4 the people who have a moral standard 2 what they listen 2. DJ Jazzy Jeff puts out The Return of The Magnificent with no music video, no real money behind the project, yet talented artists come out 2 be on it and the production is 100 times better than any album in the top 20 right now.

I feel like i'm beating a dead horse with this post. Either u get it or u don't. U feeling Rakim or are u feelin' Young Joc. U feelin' UGK or are u feeling De La Soul?? Do u think Ja-Rule is lyrical or do u think LL is lyrical. Do u think Slim Thug is talking about his actual life in his music or do u think Common Sense is talking about his real life in his music.

Like what u wanna like and listen 2 what u wanna listen 2. But don't ever tell me that Young Buck and Young Dro make quality Hip-Hop music. Hip-Hop is something u live and something u feel. Commerical Rap is for those who are motivated by sex, money, drugs, and material things. Shallow, pathetic, negative people who can only talk about that garbage aren't Hip-Hop...nuff said.

Rakim, De La Soul, LL and Common has rapped about sex and drugs? KRS-One have done it (remember "Criminal Minded".. "The Real MC's" you are talking about does or have done the same thing as the new rappers.. The last albums from LL was very "Poppish".. So you don't like him?`Stop this childish bullsh*t.. Maybe you know the definition of "wack" but you dont know how to use that word.. Every rapper today is "wack" in your eyes.. because they're commercial.. Man Will was a little commercial with Big Willie Style? Get over it..

PS: I love the The Return of The Magnificent, but all that real hip hop is dead talk makes the record very negative and to much talk about it.. But those beats... Goddamn it Jazz!!!!

Edited by Pakalicous

Wow AJ that was deep. Lol, homey we may want to take it easy on there, because some how some way hip hop is not gonna be the same just because of all that u just said. Lost and found was a fantastic record, but what about the sales for it? there were not as fantastic as the record was. Thats maybe the reason why Will isnt mentioning music now, and hes getting old, we all know it.

G-unit is doing exactly all that you just said, and u even rhymed asking me what would I prefer, and quite actually I dont prefer none of them. But we cannot stay in the past, we simply cant. All the new singers and rappers are not whack, theyre just not what u would prefer and thats something we all should know.

Man, just because you dont like something it doesnt give you the right to call it wack. Just because they are not doing what they are suppoused to be doing for theyr public, it doesnt make them garbage.

But thats my oppinion, and quite frankly its not good to judge people we dont even know. I did it with Kel and I admited I was wrong. Live is good, why dont we do like Ja rule and just try to be LIVIN IT UP. I would definitely BUY YOU A DRINK like young joc if you were a beautiful honey, and homey for real i would be asking 21 QUESTIONS to you if I knew you would have a good answer for them. But then again, this is my opinion and you can stay saying that everything they do is wack simply cause u dont like it.