JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BET

I was wondering do White people Watch BET regularly????

Having a "Black" Channel only continues sterotypes.....

But Black culture as we know is not defined by rap music, or Foolarity.

I mean what does the average white person think when they watch BET???

Some of the shows on there are just stupid, and they make african americans look bad.

Thoughts?

Edited by JusticeKnight

you know, i could easily take that two ways..

1. you are trying to make a joke which isnt funny...since people say Will is for white people and all that crap. just because Will is there, what does that have to do with white people? and who cares what race watches it.

2. you are saying Will is actually for white people like alot of ignorant haters do.

I didn't understand the question.

Do they watch it regularly? - sure. Look at our 2005 culture.

Will they watch it now that Will is in it? - Well, no, look at Will's sales. They'd be bigger if he had a "wide" white audience. No offense, but that's just how it works in America.

BET is to 'white' people what Lifetime is to men and TNN is to women, etc. They all "empower" one class and in turn somehow lower another. (with or without intention). As far as America works.

OH NO!!!!!!

I did not mean it like that!!!!

sorry sory sorry sorry sorry!!!!

I'm Sorry

Omg!! I'm SOO Sorry!!

:ohdear:

That is just a qestion that my friends and I have always wondered, and I thought I'd bring it up since Will is my favorite artist and I don't watch BET alot.

I am so Sorry!!

I hope I did not offend any one, let me edit my post real quick

I hope u all can forgive me...... :pleasexplain:

Will smith is NOT a "WHITE ARTIST" as haters say. You all know me by now, and u know that he is my favorite artist, and I would not diss him or his fans!!! EVER

Forgive me though please...Im sorry I didnt mea it like that.

I'm ashamed... :mad:

thx for understanding my mistake!

Its just sometimes BET makes me REALLY mad in thier portrayal of african american people. Its just not flattering at all.

When I listen to Will's music I feel that he and just a few other artists, know that the black experience is not about drugs, violence, and acting stupid. thats what im trying to say. And Thats why will is my favorite artist! I will defend him and his fans through thick and thin!

I feel really bad about that post though....

thx for understanding, I'm sorry, maybe I should just go for a while....

I'm gonna take some time away..sry

Will's music can relate to anyone white black cuban asian...etc it doesnt matter just because the channel is called BET doesnt mean that only "black" people can watch it. I would watch it quite reguarly but i just dont have it.

I hate labeling and stereotyping. It's just silly. I watch BET regularly. In fact, when i turn on the TV, it's usually the 1st channel i go 2. BET is just a TV programming that related strongly 2 what you can call black culture. Think about it, it has music videos, comedy, news, etc...like any other network, it's just that all those things are focusing more on black entertainers. I think BET is actually one of the best networks on TV. It's one of the only stations i can watch EVERYTHING on it.

A study waz done back in the 90's about which music-related channels where the most tasteful, and BET waz at the top, beating out MTV, VH-1, The Box, and whatever else there is.

I know other white people who watch BET on a regular basis (who aren't fake gangstas...ha ha). Entertainment is entertainment....period. If u watch 106 + Park, u'll notice that tons of white people come 2 see the show now.

I remember reading in an interview with Chuck D from back in the day when they asked him if Public Enemy is an "anti-white" group, and he said that ain't possible 'cause most of the people that want to see them perform on tour are white. I think people just want to be entertained, black people see white people perform just like white people go see black people perform so it's all love.

I gotta give it up to BET 'cause they haven't played Eminem's videos since he dissed Michael Jackson, now if only other stations would stop playing them, his career would be over. :haha: