JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MORE INFO ON THE DVD

THANX!! This sounds even better than it originaly did!! I can't believe they opened with "Here We Go Again"!!! I'm so hyped!! June 14th needs 2 hurry up!!

Here the text from that page (which has no pix on it) 4 the lazy people on the board.

---

Will Smith Live In Concert!

The Fresh Prince invades LA for a special one-off show.

June 02, 2005 - Headliner: Will Smith

Opening Acts: None

When: March 14, 2005

Where: Center Staging in Burbank, 3407 Winona Ave, Ticket Price: Private show, invite only

It must be said that I've been a fan of Will Smith's almost as long as he's been a rapper. I discovered He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper when I was in short pants, and still know the words to just about every song on the album- except "Charlie Mack (1st out of the Limo)," which I never liked much. So when Will Smith stepped out on stage to perform a few pre-emptive jams to promote his then-forthcoming new album Lost and Found, I admit I was easily swayed by the performer's still-strong presence. Opening with "Here We Go Again," whose lyrics I begrudgedly confess I was mimicking syllable for syllable, Smith had at least one fan in his thrall, and managed to keep proceedings as fresh as back in 1988 for well over an hour.

The problem that popped up pretty early in Smith's routine was the growing realization that the actor-rapper thinks he still has something to prove; that is, that he still considers himself a rapper-actor, not the other way around, and wanted to make sure we knew he was as talented as the day he announced girls weren't nothin' but trouble. Truth be told, however, he was doing a damn fine job on the microphone, even without the defensive barbs that dominate much of the material on his new album. "Party Starter,' even back in March, was a perfect summer anthem, and I immediately anticipated its pole position on future mix tapes and at future block parties and barbeques; "Switch," the disc's lead single, skittered along on Smith's infectious energy and infused his hired back-up dancers with a believable enthusiasm while the rapper more than kept time with his fast-paced if curiously safe lyrics; and his a capella of "I Wish I Made That" proved significantly more ferocious than the ankle-biting version that showed up on Lost and Found, observing that his critics frequently dismiss him and critique his success despite his relative triumphs in other arenas (those being every one of his billion-dollar earning movies).

Other standout performances include his requisite versions of "Summertime" and "Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It," as well as the debut of a new track, "Tell Me Why," that featured an in-person cameo from none other than Mary J. Blige; the new song outwardly seemed to be a little too much of a downer- it sounds a lot like many of Eminem's depressing productions- but Smith's introspective lyrics elevated the tune among the ranks of today's most intelligent rap songs.

As the production staff would later inform the diminutive crowd, we were attending not a super-secret concert or some privileged party thrown by Smith, but the taping of a future DVD to be distributed in spots like Wal-Mart presumably in conjunction with the release of Lost and Found. Curiously, the disc has yet to appear in stores, though I did see a clip on MTV during the week of the album's release. Hopefully before too long both you and I will be able to watch and enjoy one of the better concerts I've seen recently; and in case you're wondering, I'll be the white guy in the tan sport coat looking completely out of place, but still keeping pace with Smith on all of his old school hits.

-- Todd Gilchrist

Thanks for posting that, it was a good read but I find it distubing that the person says that he's sounding like Eminem on "Tell Me Why".

Thanks for posting that, it was a good read but I find it distubing that the person says that he's sounding like Eminem on "Tell Me Why".

"Other standout performances include his requisite versions of "Summertime" and "Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It," as well as the debut of a new track, "Tell Me Why," that featured an in-person cameo from none other than Mary J. Blige; the new song outwardly seemed to be a little too much of a downer- it sounds a lot like many of Eminem's depressing productions- but Smith's introspective lyrics elevated the tune among the ranks of today's most intelligent rap songs"-Todd Gilchrist

Well I think what the guy was saying is that the song is a bit darker compared to his fun songs that he usually does like "Here We Go Again"(can't wait 2 c that). At least the guy made up 4 that by saying It ranks of 2days most intelligent rap songs which it is. The thing that bugs me is when ppl say he is biting off of Jadakiss or Jadakiss Why is better. NONO. Jadakiss "Why" is terrible I mean Jada has the nerve 2 say "Why is Jadakiss as hard as it gets" oh plz spare me. That song is terrible n ... :rant: :soapbox: O anyway like the review of the concert n thankx dude 4 posting that :2thumbs: