JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Born to Reign (the track)

MaxFly

I just had to go back...

What do you guys think about this track... the beat, the lyrics, the message behind the lyrics, the emotion...

I've been stuck on this track for some time now, and I can't listen to it enough. The beat is nothing short of epic. Heavy drums, the violins... you just have to nod your head.

The lyrical word play is dynamic and engaging. I just wish it were a full track.

You and you boyz trying to decide, what to write

But your pen is a sword

The blade has been forged

Young minds getting gorged

States have been altered by liquor, by weed

And then hate gets exalted as art falls to greed

Personally, even though this intro is short, Will does a masterful job (and I mean masterful) in presenting to the listener the state of hip hop. The "false accounts" rhyme is priceless... blunt, and direct "this is how it is" speak. Real talk.

The track also has plenty of emotion. I remember actually being shocked the first time I heard it. The inflection in his voice presents his frustration perfectly. There's emotion here rivaling Tell Me Why, it's incredible.

Truly a great work of hip hop... What do you guys think of the track?

Over the years, i've started 2 think the track is fine the way it is. I don't really care if it's longer. I like a few trax on Born To Reign better than it. I just think that something is messing from the production. It might be the way it's mixed, but something just isn't there. The fact that the rest of the album dosen't support it dosen't help either.

actually looking back the track was kind of a prelude to lost and found..interesting :kool:

This is exactly what I thought... going back to Born To Reign, I was thinking... "Maybe this was a foreshadowing of things to come..."

Lol, that's why I burned a copy of Lost and Found and put Born To Reign as the first track... :kekeke: