JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will has competiton

Well Beanie Siegal's in jail, so he might get more sales since controversey sells records, he's also from Philly too, and there's quite a buzz for his album too, so it's gonna be a battle of Philly mcs next week, but of course the king of Philly, Will Smith is gonna come out on top! :ali:

nah I doubt Beanie will do big. No radio play, not being able to promote, and no one is talkin about him. He hasn't gone big before, I doubt he will now.

nah I doubt Beanie will do big. No radio play, not being able to promote, and no one is talkin about him. He hasn't gone big before, I doubt he will now.

I think it's becuz his music sucks. :wiggle:

Well Beanie Sigel does "ok" becuz he is with Roc-fella Records and Jay-Z and Kanye West are his friends. They give him hype 4 the album. The only big thing he ever did was get acquitted of attempted murder. Their gonna show something on MTV about his Murder trial call The Turth: Beanie Sigel Story or sum bull**** like that. Can't believe MTV is doing that, it has suck to a new low. :mad8: :angel:

Well Beanie Sigel does "ok" becuz he is with Roc-fella Records and Jay-Z and Kanye West are his friends. They give him hype 4 the album. The only big thing he ever did was get acquitted of attempted murder. Their gonna show something on MTV about his Murder trial call The Turth: Beanie Sigel Story or sum bull**** like that. Can't believe MTV is doing that, it has suck to a new low. :mad8: :angel:

:werd: That's what I'm talkin' about, all this negativity gets promoted heavily, I wouldn't be surprised if Beanie does make the top 10 this week 'cause we all know how subrban kids love controversey in hip-hop(A.K.A. "G Unit Publicity Stunt 101"), as far as his music is concerned he's aight he was dope when he came out but now it's the sos and that new single of his is garbage he sounds like he's mumbling the words, emptv better do a special on FP this week and put "Switch" in heavy rotation or watchin' his performance on TRL might be one of the last times I turn on emptv 'cause everytime I turn on that channel lookin' for "Switch", I see a corny video and that's pissin' me off. :nono:

I heard one song on Beanie's new album. I actually liked it a lil. But he's not really an artist who really offers anything new.

"He was dope when he came out." <-- that is common for so many. Why tho? A lot of us really do know why, and it's sad. What's really funny to me is how my parents (particularly my dad) talks about how the music was "back then". (says wit a joking disgust) "We didn't have all that rap." I try to tell him we're going down that same road. They lost their artists because their music faded out (we know that's not true in actual sense) or the artists just went away somehow. With us (Hip-hop fans) the music is made for the wrong reasons. And everybody is doing too much of the same.

~In the 80s, u had FP, Ice-T, LL Cool J, KRS-One, along those lines.

~90s carried over a lil wit Snoop, 2pac (his music was almost in it's own category), NaS, Warren G, Biggie (probably missin' someone to really piece and prove my point). The music was shifting.

~2000-up, Diddy just carried over into a "bigger figure", Jay-Z was the mainstream big dog, Em was blowin' in, and steading out til he'd do the same again, bling-bling era was supplied by way too many (Hot Boyz, Cash Money, almost every rapper had to have something)

~now, we got 50 Cent and G-Unit(wit the exception of The Game cuz he's new) who feel their something bigger than they were last year (particularly 50). But to me, he's steppin sideways without lookin'. Well 50 ever watch Looney Tunes, your Wyle E Coyote fallin' off the cliff. Only difference is your career won't be back for another laughing episode. (unless the world gets so bored, that they have to look back and laugh at U and the era they were caught up in). Em is along the same lines. He's not really all that much of a creative mastermind. U can't stay forever. As far as rappin', maybe U can still do it, but U shouldn't be a mainstream anymore. Politically, nothing was really pushed. They tried so hard they didn't really do anything. It's like go vote, but nobody knew really what they were voting for. Ludacris is growing and he may have reached "his peak". But he might be shifting as an artist, so da "Dirty South" has got their gem. Then U got the youngin' blingers like Lil Scappy, J-Kwon, Cassidy, etc. Bow Wow is outside of that and can probably do a lil better than he actually is. Jay-Z is runnin' things and ratha be in the spotlight instead of moving it around. The fact that he's supposedly doing that has people disagreeing. Then U got, yes, LL and Will Smith who come along to us wit a span of music and are trying the times. Almost like they have to. Will is more than LL becuz he just simply loves to rap. LL is like 'look at how long I've gone and I'm still good'. But anyway, music is part of their life and they love what they do.

:werd: You made some great points there fuq, I get the same impression that the music buisiness hasn't really changed much after all these years, I just got finished reading "The Death Of Rhythm and Blues" and it talks about how a lot of the most original artists really didn't get any airplay, Dave Clark, the grandfather of r&b never got the recognition he deserved, he was a smart buisinessman though and would have his own record label called Malco and was a pioneer in gospel, soul, and blues who never sold millions of albums, but Elvis Presley for instance sold millions of albums that nobody ever sold then but he was doing basically the same thing that r&b cats like James Brown and Chuck Berry were doing for many years(and people still praise Elvis more than them), he just made it popular, but he wasn't original at all, it's just like Eminem selling millions of albums now, hip-hop existed for 25 years already when he came in the game but some people who don't know the history think that he originated hip-hop. Another good point in that book that's still relevant, basically a lot of the songs sounded similar on the radio, except some of that music was more quality than now, everybody started to copy each other, while James Brown and Aretha Franklin couldn't get on major labels to sell units like the Disco artists were 30 years ago, it's sorta like how KRS-ONE, Public Enemy, and Keith Sweat don't get airplay now but still make quality music, some things never change, life repeats itself a lot, Marvin Gaye wasn't that popular until he was murdered just like 2Pac didn't get popular until he was murdered. :confused3:

• Members

The Game album is a mixtape, so that really don't count.

The Game is an idiot... :kekeke:

the game is a good rapper

will is way better than him and 50 cent combined but still the game is a great rapper

hes bringin back gangsta rap and any of you who like gangsta rap have to agree

The Game album is a mixtape, so that really don't count.

The Game is an idiot... :kekeke:

the game is a good rapper

will is way better than him and 50 cent combined but still the game is a great rapper

hes bringin back gangsta rap and any of you who like gangsta rap have to agree

I don't like gangsta rap so I don't agree! :sonny:

No man, I just don't like him, I don't respect those guys... I rather listen to Will and Usher - my fav.! :thumb:

Hey I threw on LL's "The Definition" album today and his lyricism and flow on the album is just as strong as it was when he 1st came out, this album shoulda gone at least platinum and won a Grammy but I don't think that concerns him too much, he justs like putting out good music for people to enjoy, Nas is the same way too, the sales for "Street's Disciple" are considered low for commercial standards now but it's a quality album and he's now getting ready to work on a new one already, sales don't faze him either, I wish more mcs would be like this instead of crying over their sales, it remains to be seen if The Game, Kanye West, and these other new mcs comin' out could do it for the love when their sales are lower, even if "Lost and Found" doesn't go multi-platinum, I think FP will continue to rhyme and perform with Jeff still 'cause he does this for the love too and he's said that many times, that's why he did this album, it'd came out sooner if he found a label faster 'cause he started to work on this 2 years ago but didn't have a label, oh well it's here now and that's all that matters! :peace:

Edited by bigted